Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirkland Minoxidil and alpecia

• 23-06-2018 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭

I'm 29 and have thinning hair on my crown heading towards the middle of my scalp. Hairline is fine. I've seen this generic regaine online for €45 which is a 6 month supply! Does this work as it seems too good to be true. Also would it be taken in combination with alpecia caffeine shampoo or am I just kidding myself as they're likely gimmicks?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

Someone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

sellasheep wrote: »
    I'm 29 and have thinning hair on my crown heading towards the middle of my scalp. Hairline is fine. I've seen this generic regaine online for €45 which is a 6 month supply! Does this work as it seems too good to be true. Also would it be taken in combination with alpecia caffeine shampoo or am I just kidding myself as they're likely gimmicks?

I wouldn’t call them gimmicks but yes it’s too good to be true.
    I recall reading that regaine might have some effect for 10% of users, but even for that 10% it will at best only slow down the inevitable hair thinning/loss.
    Speaking from experience, it was a complete waste of time and money.
    The worst part of losing your hair is these early stages where it’s thinning and getting noticeable.
    You could spend a lot of time and money on these products and various combinations of them, but I’m afraid it’s a pointless and expensive lesson in futility.

Well look if it could delay the inevitable for a few more years then why not. However I don't think I can buy minoxidil 5% online as customs confiscate it? Where can I get it in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

I’m quite sure minoxidil 5% is available off the shelf in most pharmacies, it certainly used to be. A quick google will answer that.
    I’d just say don’t get too hopeful about it, if you happen to be one of the lucky few to benefit from it then good for you. If you plan on using any other products/medicines do some serious research first about the potential side effects involved.
    I never did believe that some off the shelf product could reverse or delay the genetics of hair loss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,561 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why not just take 0.50 mg of finasteride. Should solve your problem.
    https://www.webdoctor.ie
    Can order it online, few clicks and its job done.

• Advertisement

I've read about the side effects of Finasteride and won't touch it as much as I want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Regaine is designed to slow down maturing hair recession, not tackle early onset male pattern baldness.

If you're losing hair at 29, Regaine is a waste of time, the only thing that will work is Finasteride. If you're not willing to take that, I'd say you just have to accept the hairloss (or get a really high quality wig!)

Regaine is designed to slow down maturing hair recession, not tackle early onset male pattern baldness.

If you're losing hair at 29, Regaine is a waste of time, the only thing that will work is Finasteride. If you're not willing to take that, I'd say you just have to accept the hairloss (or get a really high quality wig!)

Well that's a load of bull**** anyway. My hair has thinned slightly, that's all. Why would I take Finasteride given what it has done to some people?

Regaine will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 35,561 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Saw Palmetto 85% to 95% fatty acids oil capsules will help
    https://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/doctors-best-best-saw-palmetto-60-softgels/126467

Also take zinc daily and Biotin daily and B complex daily. All cheap enough.

Nisim shampoo is great also, blend with Nizoral when washing hair
    All this will help you hugely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

sellasheep wrote: »
    Well that's a load of bull**** anyway. My hair has thinned slightly, that's all. Why would I take Finasteride given what it has done to some people?

Regaine will do the job

:confused:

No, it's not. No-one is telling or forcing you to take anything? Just pointing out the facts...isn't that what you came here for?

Saw Palmetto works similar to Finasteride and is more natural but it's a lot weaker and a lot more expensive (and can have similar side effects in some people).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any online pharmacy not physically based in Ireland will have the product seized if found by customs. Get it seized repeatedly and the HPRA will prosecute you.

Branded Regaine is about 40% cheaper in NI + they do 6 and 12 month packs in one transaction. Generics are 60-80% cheaper in most EU countries but nearly always the generic is liquid not foam.

If you're nowhere near NI, you can bring back a years supply from wherever you find 20 quid return flights to in hand luggage if you can find enough bags to ram it in to - 60mlx12 is both under the 100ml per container and 1L total rule.

If cost isn't an issue, every pharmacy in the country has Regaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TaOcrasOrm

I understand what your going through and some of these comments aren't helpful. I've done a lot of research on solutions and the potential side effects of finisteride really don't seem worth it. I think the only long-term solution is to invest in a hair transplant as the results are typically really good with places like Turkey offering top rated service for reasonable process. Although like me you say your hair is just at the beginning stages of thinning so this may be an option in future for when the thinning starts to settle. Other then that minoxidil appears to be the best option. It seems to have good results for at least slowing down hair loss which may bide you time and you could always save for a hair transplant in the future if you felt you wanted to. Just be aware that once you start using minoxidil you need to continue use or your hair will revert back to balding within couple of months. There is initial thinning in the first two weeks but they say not to panic as this is expected and new stronger hairs will grow in their place. This review article is quite good at going through various options and uses peer reviewed scientific evidence to support its conclusions.

https://www.reviews.com/hair-loss-treatment/

Also one YouTube who seems to give an honest review of his experience:

https://youtu.be/mM8AiDf4JQI
    https://youtu.be/zYVP2HH0ZnI

Ive only done the research so can't speak from experience but i do plan on starting it soon, as it's better to catch it early then regret not having tried when it's too late. I know how distressing hairloss can be, especially when the only advice is to shave your head but I hope this helps and good luck with it

Advertisement