Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FFS !!Blah,blah,blah ...more of same from Min Aherne.Same ol press release statement and Dail comment.Sounds like a stuck record :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The Minister for Sport was up for priority questions on Tuesday. I know it's a bit of a change for us to actually look at the sport of shooting but... :D

Orally answered questions:
    Olympic Games.
    41. Deputy Olivia Mitchell asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism if he will take action on foot of the recommendations of the recently published taskforce report on the 2012 London Olympics; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8854/09]

An Leas-Cheann Comhairle: Deputy Mitchell, on a point of order.

Deputy Olivia Mitchell: I wish to take this opportunity to state how pleased I am to see the Minister in the House, safe and sound. I wonder whether his experience has changed his views on decentralisation to Killarney.

An Leas-Cheann Comhairle: I am sure the Minister is delighted with the Deputy’s good wishes, to which I add my own.

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): I thank both the Deputy and the Leas-Cheann Comhairle. All I can say is that I am happy to be conversing with the living today.

Deputy Eamon Gilmore: The Minister is well grounded.

Deputy Martin Cullen: The London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics taskforce was established in August 2006 to ensure Ireland can identify and maximise the complete range of opportunities arising from our proximity to the Olympic and Paralympic Games in London 2012. The taskforce included experts from the sport, tourism, cultural and business sectors and was supported by staff within my Department.

The recently published taskforce report makes a number of recommendations arising from an audit carried out of high quality sports facilities in Ireland and the findings of a report by Indecon International Economic Consultants on the economic evaluation of the benefit to the island of Ireland of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games. It highlights the opportunities for Ireland from the London 2012 Games in the sport, tourism, cultural and business sectors.

In this regard, I understand that Enterprise Ireland has been proactive in ensuring that Irish businesses are aware of the opportunities for benefiting from the business opportunities which London 2012 will provide. A dedicated website has been established to assist Irish business to avail of these opportunities. The tourism agencies have committed themselves to an energetic approach to the marketing of Ireland, particularly in the lead up to and during the games, while the artistic and cultural agencies stand ready to organise events which will showcase Ireland to the world.

On the sporting side, the taskforce report puts forward proposals for investment in sports facilities that would increase our attractiveness as a training destination for Olympic teams in the lead-up and during the Games. However, we must be realistic in this area, particularly given the current economic conditions.

My Department will engage shortly with the relevant sporting, tourism and cultural agencies on how best to promote Ireland internationally in the lead up to the London 2012 Games. These discussions will take account of the current economic situation, the findings of the London 2012 taskforce report and my recent meetings to identify the challenges which must be met in the preparation of our team for the London games.

Deputy Olivia Mitchell: I thank the Minister for his reply. The task force report suggests the potential financial benefit to the State arising from the staging of the 2012 Olympic Games in London may be in the order of €140 million. I am confident it could be far greater provided that we are able to capitalise on all the opportunities that present. It is a one-off event for this generation to have people travelling from every country in the world to a location virtually on our doorstep. The last time the Olympics Games took place so close to us was shortly after the Second World War. We are being presented with a unique opportunity.

Are efforts being made to secure business for the State not only in terms of athletes’ preparation for the Games, as originally envisaged, but also in terms of a tourism spin-off? Of the many visitors coming to London, some may be induced to continue on to Ireland. Is there any linking up among hotels? I understand the Minister is engaged in discussions with industry representatives with a view to focusing efforts to promote Ireland as a cultural tourism destination. There is great potential for our tourism industry in the Olympic Games. Are efforts being made to promote Ireland as a cultural tourism destination in the countries from which people are most likely to travel to London in 2012?

The funding which the Minister indicated some time ago might be provided to invest in various facilities is not now available. In any case, the Games are getting too close for such initiatives. There was a possibility of something happening at Sports Campus Ireland. The Minister specifically mentioned investigating the possibility of a velodrome. What is the status of that proposal? Has any further investigation taken place and is the project likely to proceed? If so, is it likely to be ready in time for the Olympic Games? We would have to begin marketing such a facility immediately.

Deputy Martin Cullen: On the first point, the Deputy is quite accurate in the breadth of what she said. As I said, Enterprise Ireland and the IDA are very much involved in seeking out the business opportunities that present between now and 2012. A significant number of Irish companies are contracted to undertake some of the construction work. This is positive in itself.

As the Deputy is aware, I had a useful meeting with the chairman of the 2012 Olympic Games organisation in the United Kingdom, Sebastian Coe, at which he suggested a cultural Olympics which would run parallel with the sporting side. I have had discussions with the Arts Council in this regard and bilateral discussions have already taken place. What is envisaged is events being run in Dublin as part of a package with events taking place in the United Kingdom. The objective would be to encourage people to take two or three days out of their stay in the United Kingdom to visit Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford or elsewhere in the State. Offering packages of events running parallel to the Games would be an effective way of encouraging such tourism. Work is ongoing in this regard and I am confident we will be able to attract significant numbers of visitors. The evidence suggests that significant numbers of people will go to the Olympic Games for three weeks with their families but will not want to spend every day there. There is a significant cultural opportunity for us. As part of their planning for 2012, the various agencies are in contact with the authorities in the United Kingdom. The latter have been very positive, welcoming and open with us in exploring how Ireland may best reap the rewards of the 2012 Olympic Games.

On the second point, I indicated on a previous occasion that I hoped to provide a range of facilities at Abbottstown. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible, although some smaller-scale facilities may be put in place in time. I do not have the resources to fund a velodrome. It is as simple as that. If there were a possibility of private sector support, that would be explored. However, this is unlikely in the current economic situation.

We should not underestimate what is happening in Limerick. I am astonished at the quality of the international athletes coming into Limerick. It is amazing to see the best athletes in their various fields having connectivity with Limerick both in terms of the physiotherapy and medical side, but also the training side. That centre is going from strength to strength and carving out a tremendous international reputation for Ireland. Likewise, Australian athletes have told us that the aquatic centre is one of the finest Olympic centres they have seen anywhere in the world. Athletes from several countries are considering using it because it has full Olympic diving facilities and warm-up facilities and a full Olympic swimming pool. These facilities are in place and we will be able to capitalise on them.
    Sports Capital Programme.

42. Deputy Mary Upton asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism if he will reopen the sports capital scheme in 2009; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8789/09]

Deputy Martin Cullen: Under the sports capital programme, which is administered by my Department, funding is allocated towards the provision of sports facilities at national, regional and local level. The programme, which is the primary vehicle for promoting the development of sports and recreational facilities, has transformed the sporting landscape of the State, with improved facilities in virtually every village, town and city. The facilities funded range from new equipment for the smallest clubs to regional multi-sport centres and national centres of sporting excellence.

More than 7,400 projects providing a range of essential sports facilities have now benefited from sports capital funding since 1998, bringing the total allocation in that time to more than €725 million. In 2008, more than €50 million was allocated towards 685 separate sports facility and equipment projects. These grants continue to play a pivotal role in ensuring the provision of modern, high-quality facilities throughout the State that attract more people to participate in sporting activities.

My Department is currently finalising a five-year strategic plan to inform the future development of necessary sporting facilities throughout the State. The aim of the strategy is to provide high-level policy direction for future investment and grant assistance at national, regional and local level. The strategy will also identify the wider economic, health and social case for continued investment in sports facilities. It will aim to prioritise areas for future investment and to ensure continued impact on participation in the relevant areas, including those in lower socioeconomic groups. The national sports facilities strategy will address future sports facility funding and provision and will inform decisions on future rounds of the sports capital programme.

In the 2009 Estimates, €56 million was provided in my Department’s Vote, part-funded from the proceeds of the national lottery, to cover payments to be made this year from the C1 subhead, out of which grants are paid for the provision of sports and recreation facilities. Any decision on future rounds of the programme will be considered in the context of the prevailing budgetary situation.

Deputy Mary Upton: Like Deputy Mitchell, I am glad the Minister was not obliged to engage in any high-risk sports such as hang-gliding or parachuting yesterday. We are glad no serous injuries occurred as a consequence of the incident.

As I understand it, no new sports capital funding is provided for 2009. Is there any reason that national lottery funding cannot be allocated in order to facilitate new applications? It is my understanding that projects already in receipt of funding in 2008 will continue in 2009 but that no new sports capital funding is coming on board. Will the Minister explain why national lottery funding cannot be dedicated for this purpose?

Deputy Martin Cullen: For the 685 projects approved last year, funding is continued into this year. There is a further overhang of projects in recent years that will also be completed. In total, some 1,000 projects are set for completion. Lottery funding is not, nor ever was, abrogated to my Department. Rather, it goes into the central Exchequer, along with all revenues to the State. That always has been the case. It is reasonable to conclude that the sports capital programme may have been partly funded by lottery money, which is allocated through the central Exchequer, over the years. However, there is no abrogated lottery funding that is ring-fenced to my Department for sports investment. I wish there were, but that has never been the case.

I will not deny that the prevailing budgetary situation poses a great problem for us all, not least in my own area of responsibility. Given the scale of the investment involved, I am seeking to establish, on a regional basis, where facilities are lacking. For example, some regions are strong in some areas and weak in others. The objective is to have a good balance across the regions. The way forward is to have a five-year strategic framework instead of funding almost anything that comes in provided it meets certain criteria. Now is the time for a slight pause. The current economic situation has implications for us, but I may as well take advantage of it by coming up with something positive.

Deputy Mary Upton: Some €56 million or 57% was given to support the sports capital programme from the national lottery funding. Is there some reason this cannot be ring-fenced for new capital investment for 2009?

Deputy Martin Cullen: No, because the commitments already given require every cent of the funding for 625 projects allocated and contracted. More projects have not yet started for various reasons. I cannot say how many will proceed but the sum of €56 million will be drawn down in the current year for projects to which resources have already been allocated.

Written Questions
    Beijing Olympics.

48.Deputy Shane McEntee asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism if he has read the Irish Sports Councils’ commissioned review of Ireland’s Beijing Olympic performance; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8644/09]

65.Deputy Ciarán Lynch asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism his views on whether it is appropriate that two organisations, funded by his Department, are each producing a report on the Beijing Olympics; his further views on whether this is value for money in view of the limited resources of his Department; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8535/09]

70.Deputy Kathleen Lynch asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism his views on the Beijing review published by the Irish Sports Council; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8518/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): I propose to take Questions Nos. 48, 65 and 70 together.

Both the Irish Sports Council and the Olympic Council of Ireland have recently published reviews on Team Ireland’s performance at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. The commissioning of these reviews is a matter for both organisations in the context of their roles in the support of Irish elite athletes.

The Irish Sports Council, which is funded by my Department, has statutory responsibility for encouraging the promotion, development and co-ordination of competitive sport and the achievement of excellence in competitive sport.

The Olympic Council is the agency responsible for the organisation and participation of the Irish team at the Olympic Games and is a member of the International Olympic Committee, the organisation governing the Olympic movement worldwide. The Sports Council provides annual funding to the Olympic Council for administration and programme costs aimed specifically at preparation for the games.

I recently completed a series of meetings with a number of the key stakeholders involved in the support of our elite athletes, including the Irish Sports Council and the Olympic Council, to discuss how we can best build on the success we had in Beijing and the supports required in terms of coaching, programmes, facilities and funding to ensure the optimum performance of Irish athletes at the London 2012. It is my intention that the issues arising from these meetings and the reviews carried out by both organisations will inform the high performance strategy for the London 2012 Games.
    Sports Participation.

61. Deputy Eamon Gilmore asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism his views on the latest ESRI-Irish Sports Council’s report, Irish Sports Monitor; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8517/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): The Irish Sports Council (ISC), which is funded by my Department, has a statutory role in encouraging the promotion, development and co-ordination of competitive sport and for increasing participation in recreational sport.

The ISC, under its research remit, is striving to develop a profound understanding of sport in Ireland that can inform policy and investment over the coming years. The ISC has commissioned the Economic and Social Research Institute to undertake studies on sport and physical activity on its behalf.

The 2007 Irish Sports Monitor (ISM) report, which was published in February, is the first in an ongoing series of annual reports that will measure and track participation in Irish sport. Based on a nationally representative sample of nearly 10,000 adults aged 16 and over the ISM offers the most detailed picture yet of sporting life in Ireland.

The 2007 ISM report provides a number of headline figures for participation in sport and physical activity in Ireland, which serve as benchmarks for future performance regarding physical activity, participation in sport and recreational walking, volunteering, club membership and attendance at sporting events. The report also reinforces previous research findings in relation to social and economic gradients in participation, and to the relative popularity of particular sporting activities. It also provides key new insights on issues such as Ireland’s standing relative to international participation levels, seasonal and regional variations in participation, and links between nationality and playing sport.

The programme of research being carried out by the Irish Sports Council is very useful in informing the development of the Government’s policy on sport.

71. Deputy Pat Rabbitte asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the capital projects which had been planned by his Department, or with the assistance of funding from his Department, which will not be proceeding; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8523/09]

80. Deputy Jan O’Sullivan asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the major capital projects which will proceed in 2009 with money from his Department; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8522/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): I propose to take Questions Nos. 71 and 80 together.

I would refer the Deputies to my reply to Parliamentary Questions Nos. 108 and 212 of 28 January 2009.

A number of landmark capital projects under the aegis of the Department are currently at various stages of progression, including the redevelopments of the National Theatre and the National Concert Hall, the development of the National Conference Centre and the development of a new Lansdowne Road Stadium. Progress on these landmark capital projects will continue in 2009.

In relation to the development of a National Sports Campus at Abbotstown, the prevailing difficult economic conditions has meant that no funding has been provided to date to advance the Phase I development in 2009. I am having discussions with the Minister for Finance to see what funding might be available to move forward with Phase I on a phased basis. I am also having discussions with the National Sports Campus Development Authority in this regard. In the short term, construction work has commenced on providing a headquarters for the Irish Institute of Sport, involving the refurbishment of an existing building, to be ready for occupancy this year.
    Departmental Funding.

72. Deputy Seán Sherlock asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism if funding for the local sports partnerships will be maintained, even during the economic downturn; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8513/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): The Agreed Programme for Government commits to the roll out of the Local Sports Partnership programme on a nationwide basis to provide for the development of sport at local level. The Irish Sports Council has a statutory role in the promotion and development of sport, including initiatives such as the Local Sports Partnership network, through which sports initiatives at local level are delivered and coordinated. While funding of the LSPs is a matter for the ISC, understand that the Irish Sports Council, even with a reduced budget for 2009, intends to continue with its support of the LSP initiative.

The Local Sports Partnerships are charged with increasing participation at a local level, ensuring that local resources are used to best effect and making sure that the experiences of participants in sport are positive.

Following an independent review of the LSPs by Fitzpatrick Associates in 2005, approval was given to the ISC to extend the LSP network from 2006 on a national basis. Accordingly, funding has been provided to the ISC to facilitate continued extension of the network.

33 LSPs have been established in the following locations:[/b] Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork City, County Cork, Donegal, Dublin City, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, Fingal, Galway City, Galway County, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Leitrim, Limerick City, Limerick County, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, North Tipperary, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo, South County Dublin, South Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow.

The Fitzpatrick Report identified the need for the introduction of a formal monitoring and evaluation framework for the LSPs. In April 2008 the Irish Sports Council published the first SPEAK report detailing the work of the Local Sports Partnerships and its evaluation of the impact that this has on the clubs and communities across the country.

The ISC recognises the importance of the use of an enjoyable multi-sport and non-competitive model to introduce our children to sport that will complement and enhance both our school and community sport programmes. With this in mind the Council has developed the Buntús Programmes (Generic and Start), which are exciting programmes developed to support teachers and childcare practitioners in introducing young people to sport and physical activity. The programmes are rolled out through the Local Sports Partnerships.

456,000 children have participated in Buntús and Buntús Start programmes. I look forward to the Local Sports Partnership Network having a major impact at local level in introducing our people, particularly the young, to sport and physical activity.
    Sports Facilities.

74. Deputy Joe Costello asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the reason for the delay in the national audit of sports facilities which was originally promised in the programme for Government 2002; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8528/09]

76. Deputy David Stanton asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism if a national audit of sports facilities has been completed by his Department as recommended in the last sports capital programme expenditure review; the findings of same; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8580/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): I propose to take Questions Nos. 74 and 76 together.

The nationwide audit of sports facilities is being carried out in stages to help speed up the availability of information. Phase one, which focuses on national and regional sports facilities, has now been completed within my Department. Phase two of the audit, which is a more complex undertaking to establish a record of existing sports facilities at local level and identifying the need for future provision, commenced in 2008 with the assistance of Local Authorities. Already, my Department has received completed returns from 16 Local Authorities.

The audit is part of a wider exercise to put in place a more strategic approach to the provision of sports facilities in Ireland. My Department is currently finalising a five-year strategic plan to inform the future development of necessary sporting facilities throughout the country. The aim of the strategy is to provide high-level policy direction for future investment and grant assistance at national, regional and local level. The strategy also identifies the wider economic, health and social case for continued investment in sports facilities. It aims to prioritise areas for future investment and to ensure continued impact in the relevant areas.
    Sports Funding.

81. Deputy Jim O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the reason no funding is provided in 2009 for sports capital grants; the position regarding the funds accruing from the national lottery for that purpose in 2009; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8567/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): In the 2009 Estimates, €56m has been provided in my Department’s Vote, for grants for sporting bodies and the provision of sports and recreational facilities part funded by the National Lottery. This provision is to cover payments to be made this year from the C-1 sub-head. No decision has been made with regard to future rounds of sports capital grants.
    London Olympics.

82. Deputy Róisín Shortall asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the action taken by him since he received the report of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Task Force report in March 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8519/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): I refer the Deputy to my reply earlier today to Priority Question No. 41 in the name of Deputy Mitchell.

83. Deputy Brian O’Shea asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism if he will take the opportunity to launch a review of the sports capital scheme to ensure that it is taking account of the latest research on increasing participation; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8511/09]

85. Deputy Denis Naughten asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the plans he has to support sports capital projects; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8413/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): I propose to take Questions Nos. 83 and 85 together.

Under the Sports Capital Programme, which is administered by my Department, funding is allocated towards the provision of sports facilities at national, regional and local level. Over 7,400 projects providing a range of essential sports facilities have now benefited from sports capital funding since 1998 bringing the total allocation in that time to over €725 million. In 2008 over €50m was allocated towards 685 separate sports facility and equipment projects. In the 2009 Estimates, €56m has been provided in my Department’s vote to cover payments to be made this year from the C-1 sub-head, out of which grants are paid for the provision of sports and recreation facilities. As I announced in the House recently, no decision has been taken about the timing of future rounds of the Programme.

My Department is currently finalising a five-year strategic plan to inform the future development of necessary sporting facilities throughout the country. The aim of the strategy is to provide high-level policy direction for future investment and grant assistance at national, regional and local level. The strategy also identifies the wider economic, health and social case for continued investment in sports facilities. It aims to prioritise areas for future investment and to ensure continued impact on participation in the relevant areas including those in lower socio-economic groups. The National Sports Facilities Strategy will address future sports facility funding and provision and will inform future rounds of the Sports Capital Programme.

From budget day:
    152. Deputy John Deasy asked the Minister for Justice,
    Equality and Law Reform the number of handgun licences that have
    issued nationally each month in 2008 and each month to date in 2009.
    [14134/09]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot
    Ahern):
    The information requested is being compiled and will be
    forwarded to the Deputy as soon as possible.
    236. Deputy Brian O'Shea asked the Minister for Arts, Sport
    and Tourism if he will protect the remaining sports budget as outlined
    in correspondence from an organisation (details supplied); and if he
    will make a statement on the matter. [14764/09]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): The
    Deputy will be aware that in addressing the public finances all areas
    of expenditure have been examined and the budget in relation to sport,
    like all areas, has been impacted following this process. Nevertheless
    the huge social and economic benefits of sport are acknowledged by this
    Government and are reflected in the unprecedented level of Government
    funding for sport over the last number of years.

In the period 2004 to 2008, more than €1.2bn has been spent on Sport.
    The allocation in 2009 (prior to today's budget) is just over €199m.
    While there is a reduction on the 2008 allocation - due mainly to the
    payment in 2008 of €116m towards the Lansdowne Road project which is
    not repeated in 2009 - I am confident that the 2009 allocation will be
    sufficient to sustain Irish sport in the current difficult economic
    climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Has John Deasy nothing better to do at a time when the country seems to be coming down about our ears. If I lived in his constituency I would be asking some serious questions about his motivation for being in the Dail.

• Advertisement

From tomorrow:
    89. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licensed handguns in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2009; the number of licensed handguns that were reported as stolen; the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Ruairı Quinn. [14264/09]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

His this question not be asked several times before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

chem wrote: »
    His this question not be asked several times before?

Welcome to the world of the civil servant. Answering the same parliamentary questions and representations over, and over, and over again.

Yeah, but in this case, it's to our advantage. Driving home the same point again and again, that there are no records of stolen licenced firearms being used in crime. Now if we'd just follow up on that in our PR...

Answer up:
    89. Deputy Ruairí Quinn asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licensed handguns in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2009; the number of licensed handguns that were reported as stolen; the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [14264/09]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The Deputy will be aware that prior to 2004 there was a de facto ban on handguns in this jurisdiction. However, I understand from the Garda Authorities that records indicate approximately 2,000 handguns have been licensed since the beginning of 2004. The most recent figures on stolen firearms were received on 16 December 2008 and indicate that 31 handguns were recorded as stolen since 2004.

I am further advised that stolen firearms are used in the course of the commission of other criminal offences but, because not all stolen firearms or firearms used in the commission of offences are recovered, it is not possible to say precisely how many formerly legally held handguns have been used in criminal offences.

As I have stated on a number of occasions I am concerned with the situation we now find ourselves in following the growth in the licensing of hand guns over the past few years. We now have these 2,000 handguns licensed, and not as a result of a considered or deliberate public policy decision. As Mr. Justice Charleton said in a recent judgment the public is entitled to feel alarmed at the proliferation of handguns. I am not going to permit the growth of a ¿handgun¿ culture. It was against this background that I announced my proposals for reform in this area, which include a ban on issuing new licenses for handguns and a strict regime for renewal of existing licenses, with limited exceptions made in relation to Olympic sports.

The House may note the endorsement of these proposals by the Chief Inspector of the Garda Inspectorate who draws on her own considerable experience of policing in the United States. She has recently been quoted as saying that a lot of guns used in the commission of crime in the States are guns that have been stolen from their rightful owners. We must have controls in place to prevent the same thing happening here. My proposals will be reflected in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill which I will be publishing imminently.

It is important to say that my proposals in relation to handguns will not impinge directly on the activities of the vast majority of licensed firearms holders. I recognise that those firearms holders pursue their legitimate interests in a law abiding way and am anxious to have a well regulated sector in which those interests can be successfully pursued, in cooperation with the relevant authorities. But the reality is specific issues arise from the inherent nature of firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's a cynical little part of me, I must admit, that can't help feeling it's not necessarily a fantastic idea to keep giving the minister a platform to preach the same tired (and wrong, but since when is that important?) spiel over and over again. I mean, tell the public often enough that the sky is pink, and, well...

I know it's important to refute and refute and refute time and again, but the constant parliamentary questions leading to the same answer allow him a soapbox from which to scaremonger. It's not that he's right, it's that he keeps saying it, and if people hear it often enough, they start to like the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

A couple of questions that should be asked
    The most recent figures on stolen firearms were received on 16 December 2008 and indicate that 31 handguns were recorded as stolen since 2004.

How many illegaly imported guns (and handguns) have been seized in the same time period?

Does the Minister have an estimate from the Garda Commissioner as to how many guns may have been illicitly imported?
    I am further advised that stolen firearms are used in the course of the commission of other criminal offences but, because not all stolen firearms or firearms used in the commission of offences are recovered, it is not possible to say precisely how many formerly legally held handguns have been used in criminal offences.

How many stolen handguns have been recovered?

How many recovered stolen handguns have been used in the commission of a crime?

If the Minister is so concerned with the issue of stolen handguns why is his department unable to supply details of the types of handguns stolen for example, how many were starting pistols or bolt guns, which do not fit into the "gangster" lifestyle?

When will the Minister be in a position to give a full details of the thefts he is so concerned about?

From Tuesday:
    275. Deputy Finian McGrath asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will support a matter (details supplied). [19857/09]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I do not intend to declassify paintball markers in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009. Section 1 of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended includes paintball markers in the definition of a firearm and individuals may apply to their local superintendent of the Garda Síochána for a firearms certificate in accordance with section 4 of the same Act.

From today:
    51. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licensed handguns, the number of licensed handguns that were reported stolen and the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2009; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Jan O’Sullivan. [21485/09]

Answered orally in the Dail yesterday:
    51. Deputy Jan O¿Sullivan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licensed handguns, the number of licensed handguns that were reported stolen, and the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2009; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21485/09]

Deputy Dermot Ahern: I refer the Deputy to a tabular statement setting out the information sought by him on handguns stolen and licensed for the years 2004 to date when handguns began to be licensed again. The figures show 42 weapons classified as handguns have been stolen in the period in question. The current number of licensed handguns is approximately 1,800.

I am advised by the Garda authorities that stolen firearms are used in the course of the commission of other criminal offences. Since not all stolen firearms used in the commission of offences are recovered, obviously it is not possible to say precisely how many formerly legally held handguns have been used in the commission of criminal offences. However, common sense suggests they are stolen for a purpose that is likely to be either to trade in them or to use them in the commission of offences. As I said on Second Stage of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous) Provisions Bill last week, stolen handguns have, by definition, fallen into the hands of criminals, in the first instance at least the criminals who have stolen them.

I have consistently tried not to overstate the effect of a handgun ban on the activities of criminal gangs. That is why substantial resources, including those provided under Operation Anvil, have been devoted to trying to track down illegal guns. Approximately 2,400 illegally held weapons have been recovered as part of that operation. As I stated previously, we have increased the budget for the operation this year by €1 million. It would be folly to suppose that the issue of legally held handguns falling into the wrong hands can be ignored.

It has been made clear, including by me, that the reasons for a handgun ban are much broader that supposed. In particular, I have made it clear that I do not wish a handgun culture to take hold in Ireland. While I understand the representations that have been made to many Deputies, including me, arguing against my proposals, I note that the Chief Inspector of the Garda Síochána has endorsed my approach, drawing on her very considerable experience of policing in the United States. The Garda Commissioner has also done so on many occasions.

The tragic reality is that, in various parts of the world, even in recent times, there has been a series of mass killings involving legally held guns. This has forced other jurisdictions to review their laws on handguns. If such a dreadful event were to take place here, I have no doubt the debate on a handgun ban would be over. My approach is to adopt measures designed to prevent such a tragedy rather than respond belatedly in its aftermath.

Handguns licensed(1)
    2003-04|2004-05|2005-06|2006-07|2007-08|2008-09
    1|370|948|1,368|1,895|1,803

Handguns stolen(2)
    2003-04|2004-05|2005-06|2006-07|2007-08|2008-09
    3|7|10|7|7|8

(1)The number of handguns, recorded on PULSE, for which a firearm certificate has been issued for the years 2004 to 2009 (to 1 April 2009).

(2)Between 2004 and 2009, 42 handguns are recorded as stolen.

Deputy Pat Rabbitte: We all share the Minister¿s objective but the logic of it is that unless one bans all guns, one cannot be sure some deranged person will not be able to access a weapon that could inflict great harm at any time. Has the Minister any evidence that handguns leaked from legitimately licensed sports or gun clubs have been used in a fatal killing? I agree with him that there is a problem with the use of guns, especially by criminal gangs fighting for supremacy in order to avail of the profits from the drugs trade in particular. Is it not the case, however, that their weapons, in the main, seem to be sourced outside the jurisdiction where they source the drugs, and that the number of handguns leaked from properly supervised, licensed and vetted sports clubs is very small compared to the number of illegal handguns in the jurisdiction?

Deputy Dermot Ahern: As I stated in my reply, I regard these two issues as separate. I do not regard what I am trying to do in respect of licensed handguns as the silver bullet or even part of the bullet to solve the issue of gangland crime and illegally held arms. Forty-two weapons that are regarded as handguns have been stolen since 2004. I do not have figures as to whether they have been used in the commission of offences but that is not the point. There are those who are trying to suggest that the Government is trying in some way to solve the problems of gangland crime and murder by the handgun ban. It is not; rather, it is trying to respond to the court decision that overturned the ban, which obtained for decades, on holding legally held handguns. Given the exponential increase in the number of legally held handguns as a result of a series of court cases, particularly the one in 2004, it is incumbent on the Oireachtas to decide by way of policy whether it wants, in households around the country, small weapons that are reasonably easy to obtain. I say this based on experience. We know the position on shotguns, for example. There are thousands of these available but, if one were to extend Deputy Rabbitte¿s logic, one would be banning ordinary household knives because they are potentially dangerous weapons. It depends on the circumstances in each case.

Having a licensed handgun in a house affords

An Leas-Cheann Comhairle: I want to allow Deputy Carey to ask a brief supplementary question.

Deputy Dermot Ahern:
    more opportunities for it to be used in circumstances that the holder might not envisage, such as a domestic dispute.

Deputy Pat Rabbitte: Is it not the same for a shotgun?

Deputy Dermot Ahern: It is the same for a shotgun but we are where we are in respect of shotguns.

An Leas-Cheann Comhairle: I call Deputy Carey.

Deputy Dermot Ahern: I am not saying we should take shotguns out of the system. We are where we are

An Leas-Cheann Comhairle: Will Members please have regard to the Chair?

Deputy Dermot Ahern: We should not allow the number of handguns to increase exponentially.

An Leas-Cheann Comhairle: Will the Minister have regard to the Chair also? I am trying to allow Deputies to have an input. I call Deputy Carey.

Deputy Dermot Ahern: I am sorry.

Deputy Joe Carey: The problem clearly is not legally held handguns but illegally held handguns. What steps is the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform taking to rid this State of illegally held handguns, which represent the real problem?

Deputy Dermot Ahern: I answered that in my reply. Operation Anvil, since its inception, has taken in thousands of extra handguns. While I have been criticised for budgetary reductions elsewhere this year because of the constrained financial circumstances, I have increased the money available for Operation Anvil. It is particularly earmarked for removing illegal weapons and other weapons from the system. Some 2,400 have been confiscated by the Garda as a result of the operation. I increased the budget from €20 million last year to €21 million this year.

So...

A:"I'm getting rid of handguns, y'know, they might be used in a domestic dispute or something!"

R:"But.. why not shotguns then?"

A:"Well, they're shotguns aren't they?"

R:"Yes... and?"

A:"Well, shur, we've always had shotguns like! They're not handguns!"

Rest of us:*facepalm*

/facepalm just about sums it up allright. These 'debaters' wouldn't last four seconds even in here, it's fustrating seeing them making such utter eejits of themselves in the Dail.

Sparks wrote: »
    /facepalm just about sums it up allright. These 'debaters' wouldn't last four seconds even in here, it's fustrating seeing them making such utter eejits of themselves in the Dail.

Honestly, get DeV to set them all up with Boards accounts and they can face us in here and see how they get on. :p

It's interesting though. The Minister keeps making the point that he intends to address what he sees as a growing culture. Frankly, is that really within his brief of criminal legislation, or is he overstepping his mark here a little? It does seem somewhat excessive to me that a figure tasked with administration of the legislative process with particular reference to criminal legislation is attempting to shape a culture, which even he admits is not directly or distinctly related to tackling crime, which would be his brief.

From yesterday:
    Paul Kehoe (Wexford, Fine Gael) Question 27: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the changes to the format of the new gun licence when issued; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [23174/09]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail): I am informed by the Garda Authorities that the exact format of the new firearm certificate has not yet been finalised but it is envisaged that it will be a durable, credit card sized document.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Will we still have to carry one for each feckn' gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

kowloon wrote: »
    Will we still have to carry one for each feckn' gun?

Yep. But only while you are carrying the gun.

Yeah BTK, but at least if it's plastic,
    1) it won't fall apart in the wet so easily, and
    2) it won't be seen as being quite so dodgy by shooters going abroad (you should see the raised eyebrows an Irish firearms cert, with the pen-and-ink garda scribbles correcting a detail on it, can raise from customs officials in places like Helsinki).

Mind you, they'll have to finally issue me with a cert whose number and caliber actually match my rifles this time...

FFS we cant even get our DRIVING LISCENSES made like this here...The Driving liscenses were supposed to have been made like this FOUR years ago in the Celtic Tiger,when the Govt could fuk money at anyone and everything to launch such Chauchescuesque plans and schemes but it wasnt done because of costs and operational problems.This is now the standard EU liscense format in any country,but the" richest country in Europe "couldnt do it for somthing trebly more important than gun liscenses??

NOW Minister Dermott Aherne is saying that the gun liscenses will be issued like this within the next 8 plus weeks?????????????

It is like he is living in a parallel universe to the Ireland we are in...
    I'm getting VERY worried people about him,and not just on the firearms side of things......:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Well, how hard could it be? We already outsource printing of the driving licences to belgium (or was it luxembourg?), so we just oursource printing these to somewhere in kazahakstan and we can get them done for half the cost...
    :D

I think we might find out in short order that there's a gap between what's envisaged and what you wind up with in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

if the card had your pulse number on it only .im sure the dimest of cops could work out how to see what you have.

Well, how hard could it be? We already outsource printing of the driving licences to belgium (or was it luxembourg?), so we just oursource printing these to somewhere in kazahakstan and we can get them done for half the cost...
    :D
    Uh Huh And then they act all soo surprised when real "fake " Irish drivers liscenses are easily bought on the net or down at "Shams dodgy goods retail" for 50 quid??:eek::D.Good idea,send the printing off to Borat land EU or otherwise for gun liscenes,great security there lads.:rolleyes::eek:

I think we might find out in short order that there's a gap between what's envisaged and what you wind up with in the end :D
    [/QUOTE]
    We will live in hope,but I dont know wether to laugh or cry anymore with the antics of these peole who supposedly govern us.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Yeah BTK, but at least if it's plastic,
    1) it won't fall apart in the wet so easily, and
    2) it won't be seen as being quite so dodgy by shooters going abroad (you should see the raised eyebrows an Irish firearms cert, with the pen-and-ink garda scribbles correcting a detail on it, can raise from customs officials in places like Helsinki).

Mind you, they'll have to finally issue me with a cert whose number and caliber actually match my rifles this time...

True, I've lost one to the wet, completely disintegrated.
    I used to get strange looks with my 'homemade looking' driving licence aswell, the firearms cert looks even worse.
    Suppose they'll use the new fancy licence as justification for a ridiculous new money farming licence fee.

From yesterday:
    Mary O'Rourke (Longford-Westmeath, Fianna Fail)
    Question 170: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will make changes to the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill in order to allow sports people to practice their sport. [23806/09]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail): The Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009 is scheduled for Committee Stage on 18 June 2009.

The proposals in this Bill relating to the control of firearms are primarily concerned with public safety and the modernising of the licensing system. As I have said previously, my proposals will not impinge adversely on the activities of the vast majority of licensed firearms holders in this country: I recognise that those firearms holders pursue their legitimate interests in a law abiding way.

The Bill does contain, however, a de facto ban on handguns because the Government has made it clear that it does not wish a handgun culture to take hold here. Handguns are inherently different because they are easy to conceal, can often discharge a large number of bullets rapidly and feature so frequently in gun rampages. I also intend to specifically prohibit a form of target shooting known as practical or dynamic shooting. This type of shooting involves firearms being used in simulated combat or combat training and is anathema to most target shooters. In so far as it is akin to police and military tactical training it is an undesirable activity not rooted in any tradition in Ireland and one which should not have any place in our society.

I met with the Firearms Consultative Panel last week. It is clear that there are some medium and longer term strategic and developmental issues for shooting sports in Ireland and I intend to write to the Minister for Arts, Sports & Tourism in relation to a number of the points raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I met with the Firearms Consultative Panel last week. It is clear that there are some medium and longer term strategic and developmental issues for shooting sports in Ireland and I intend to write to the Minister for Arts, Sports & Tourism in relation to a number of the points raised.

Anyone know what these points are??

• Advertisement

From June 23:
    Terence Flanagan (Dublin North East, Fine Gael)
    Question 287: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will respond to a matter (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [24616/09]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail): My proposals on firearms control measures were announced last November and are contained in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009 which completed Committee Stage on 18 June 2009. I am aware of the points raised in the correspondence submitted by the Deputy.

I met with the Firearms Consultative Panel two weeks ago and listened to their views. While I undertook to reflect on the points they made, I reiterated the Government’s reasons for restricting access to handguns. I have always made it clear that this ban was not brought forward in the context of tackling gangland crime. The situation which has come about in recent years was not as the result of any considered policy decision and, in particular, it has been made clear that the Government does not wish a handgun culture to take hold here. I consider that handguns are different because they are easy to conceal, because they can discharge a large number of bullets rapidly and because they feature so often in gun rampages. It is after such rampages that gun laws are invariably tightened up as can be seen in many countries around the world. Experience in other countries shows us that any relaxation of controls on gun ownership very quickly results in dramatic growth in firearms with many longer term negative downstream consequences.

While it is not my function to create a hierarchy of merit among the various target shooting disciplines, Olympic shooting activities would be generally recognised as being in a special category. At the other end of the spectrum not all shooting activities are as legitimate and credible as some of their proponents would claim to be.

With the passage of this Bill, while the law will be tighter, people who hold firearms now will be able to apply to licence their firearm under the new licensing system. The Garda Commissioner will have the additional powers he needs to address matters relating to firearms licensing.

I am conscious, however, of the medium and longer term strategic and developmental issues for shooting sports in Ireland and as a result of my meeting with the Panel I will write to the Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism in relation to a number of points.

Advertisement