Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Events 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I only see reference to non-alcoholic mulled wine.

Seriously lads!!!! It really isn't hard to get a Christmas market right.

Licensing laws and the fact it’s in govt owned buildings is probably why

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Was just reading about that. :D

I hope it is as good as they make out; Dublin Christmas markets have a tendency to be a bit... crap.

Anyone been to Winterval or the Wicklow Christmas markets? Was thinking of doing a day trip, but I don't want to waste a day on a mediocre market!

Winterval.... I wouldn't, grant it last time I experienced it was many years ago so it could have improved.

Galway's one looks beautiful this year but Galway is a bit of a trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Posy wrote: »
    Was just reading about that. :D

I hope it is as good as they make out; Dublin Christmas markets have a tendency to be a bit... crap.

Anyone been to Winterval or the Wicklow Christmas markets? Was thinking of doing a day trip, but I don't want to waste a day on a mediocre market!

Going to the one in Wicklow town on the 15th, was raining too much to go last year. Heard (on here) there is going to be wild animals there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Licensing laws and the fact it’s in govt owned buildings is probably why

I've emailed them. There will be craft beer, hot toddys and gluhwein.

Crisis averted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Apparently Santy is arriving in Drogheda this weekend via a boat

http://www.boynefishermensrescue.ie/santa-claus-arrival-to-scotch-hall

Can't say that I've ever gone to it so I don't know what it will be like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The spectacular Frostival Parade kicks off the Frostival Winter Festival, to mark the start of the festive season in Dundalk Town Centre this Friday.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Apparently Santy is arriving in Drogheda this weekend via a boat

http://www.boynefishermensrescue.ie/santa-claus-arrival-to-scotch-hall

Can't say that I've ever gone to it so I don't know what it will be like!

Update: It's not a boat, it's a skip! But still in the river!

Update: It's not a boat, it's a skip! But still in the river!

I assume you actually mean a skip and that is not a typo??? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »

I assume you assumed they meant ship :P

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Loughc wrote: »
    I assume you assumed they meant ship :P

Definitely skip!!!!!

Definitely skip!!!!!

That I have to see. Picture or even better video evidence needed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SarahLil wrote: »

Love this. Thanks for posting. I've just booked a couple of tickets. Think we're sorted for nights out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Selection of some smaller Christmas Events here: https://collectireland.com/christmas-markets/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Love this. Thanks for posting. I've just booked a couple of tickets. Think we're sorted for nights out now!

Did you go to it before, is it good?

SarahLil wrote: »
    Did you go to it before, is it good?

Haven't been to their Christmas event, but the Open Gate Brewery is always a good night out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Loughc wrote: »

I passed through Dublin Castle earlier, they are setting up a big walkway of Christmas trees leading to the arch you walk under into the courtyard. Very early days, trees are bare and the lads were still setting them up - but it smells lovely and it'll look great in the dark with some lights on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Went to the Taste of Dublin, Christmas today. To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. It was more about people buying/ drinking alcohol than being a food event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Went to the Taste of Dublin, Christmas today. To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. It was more about people buying/ drinking alcohol than being a food event.

That's exactly what my mam and dad thought. Such a pity as mam loves the normal Taste of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    jellybear wrote: »
    That's exactly what my mam and dad thought. Such a pity as mam loves the normal Taste of Dublin.

I entered 150 million competitions to win tickets to this because I will never be able to justify paying into something that will cost me more money when I go in, but when I saw the feedback on Twitter last night I was hoping I wouldn't win! What a disappointment.

I was speaking to a few stall owners. They were all dreading the night session and the drinkers. As Thursday was horrible.

It was also very dark for something during the day. The music was too loud to hear the food demos. Very poorly organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Anybody going to the Christmas market in Dublin Castle? €20 entry fee seems incredibly steep, only to get access to a few stalls.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Anybody going to the Christmas market in Dublin Castle? €20 entry fee seems incredibly steep, only to get access to a few stalls.

Make sure you get recommendations before you go. I was so disappointed with the taste of Dublin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

GiftofGab wrote: »

Aw is that the entrance fee per person?! That is nuts. I was so excited about going to this, why are things in Dublin always such a damp squib/cost an arm and a leg? I have plans to go with a friend on 15th Dec so at least we'll have heard some reports back by then to see if it's worth it or not.

Actually GiftofGab are you sure you weren't looking at the Christmas Evenings at the Castle? There are tickets for this for €20 (it's now sold out) an evening of choral music in the Chapel Royal. No mention of tickets or payments at the bit about the market itself in the courtyard.
    Christmas Evenings at the Castle 3rd, 5th, 6th, 16th, 18th, 19th December - SOLD OUT!
    Our much-loved Christmas evenings return this year. Escape the hustle and bustle of the city centre for a choral performance in the Chapel Royal followed by an opportunity to view the Neapolitan Crib and festively decorated State Apartments. Guests will also be invited to attend a reception in the Gothic Room.

Suitable for Adults

Time: 6.30pm

Ticket Cost: €20

I don't think there's an entrance fee. There's a fee attached to everything on the website but not the market. No way would they charge in. That would be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Cheers guys. Looks like I was wrong. Dublin Castle Christmas market looks like its free. So I'll def be going on Thursday.

I went to The Guinness Winterfest last night. It was ok. €10 in with a free pint of Guinness. Not worth going on a weekend but something to do during the week. The choir was good but only played 2/3 songs the would stop for 45mins/1 hour. Could do with more food stalls. €5 pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I don't know wheres best to ask this, but I figured here might be as good a place to start as any.
    We had planned on going up to see santy West of Galway city yesterday but with the weather we didn't go. We're going to Dublin Monday to the wild lights in the zoo and trying to see if we could get santy in before that and I see that arnots have a santy all day Monday. What's the chances of us still getting a ticket if we only arrive in there around lunch time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Went to check on Dublin castle market last Saturday.... only to find out it opens this Thursday, 12th.

I can't see the logic of missing out on business the last couple of weekends. Town was jammed!

Advertisement