Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Lots of good conversation about the goalkeeping selection but for me the Cooke for Cummins decision was baffling ! Before throw in some Rossie fans near me pointed out that he was not starting and they were delighted after what he had done to them before.

Cooke is a good player but has hardly played. Danny could not have done more during the league to fight his way into that team. Top goal scorer in the league, always up there in the points charts despite not being a free taker. Destroyed the Rossies two years ago with some wonderful goals. I kept waiting for him to be brought on, but no. Strange stuff indeed. Would not blame him if he jacked it in. He stayed loyal to that team for ages, even when others did not, he should be in his prime and has lots of experience but he does not suit the system that Walsh wants to play obviously. Something not right.

Two points in the second half........... still can't believe how bad we were.

Insanity that we absolutely needed a goal, and the man who has bailed us out with goals time and time again didn't see one minute on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

elefant wrote: »
    Insanity that we absolutely needed a goal, and the man who has bailed us out with goals time and time again didn't see one minute on the pitch.

I assume he was injured as he wasn't named in the 26???

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I've supported Kevin but I would be happy now if he left, why drop Power, didn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I assume he was injured as he wasn't named in the 26???

If it's Danny you mean he was on the squad and was stripped and ready to come on for about ten minutes. However never made it onto the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

If I was a Galway fan I'd want rid of Walsh. Not good enough.

• Advertisement

If it's Danny you mean he was on the squad and was stripped and ready to come on for about ten minutes. However never made it onto the pitch.

Seems strange he wasnt brought on so. Walsh has always liked Cummins and given him game time whenever he could. Also, for those saying that Cummins has stayed loyal etc., Walsh has been very loyal to Cummins keeping him in the panel while he was out with long term injuries etc. Cummins was extremely poor v Sligo so maybe that had a part to play in the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭threeball

Seems strange he wasnt brought on so. Walsh has always liked Cummins and given him game time whenever he could. Also, for those saying that Cummins has stayed loyal etc., Walsh has been very loyal to Cummins keeping him in the panel while he was out with long term injuries etc. Cummins was extremely poor v Sligo so maybe that had a part to play in the decision.

I can see the rationalisation for Cummins. O Laoi and Burke have better form and playing all 3 was not an option. When I heard they were bringing on Cooke I thought it would be a direct swap with Cooke providing the physical presence inside for the two lads to feed off. Common sense had prevailed eventually.

Not a bit of it. Cooke out to midfield where he wasn't needed and the two lads isolated inside where the only option to get involved were quick one two's with runners through the middle. When no one was running they were ornaments. When the ball went to them they were often crowded and not physical enough to hold on. We had no long ball option to keep roscommon guessing and it was all very predictable.

Once Cunningham got them in at half time he got them to lock down the middle channel and we were done. That was all down to silly selections which started last week, was changed before throw in but not in the way it should have been. Clueless management. Why would be possibly want another big midfielder in an already crowded middle third.

Cummins was poor against London too. So not starting was probably fair. But when we needed a goal he would of been high on my list as a player to introduce. He has a great poachers instinct. As to why he was told to strip and then not brought on I guess only management know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭White lighting

How in the name of God is Ian Burke an All Star. He wouldnt lace Comer or Shane Walshs boots. Gave a few nice hand pass assits last year and played well for the club but not up to it. Has to be better options in Galway than carrying players like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bictables

threeball wrote: »
    Well Mayo would travel to outer Mongolia to follow the team. Galway have never had that. Most people wouldn't cross the road to watch the sh1te that KW calls football but there's plenty of reasons that people don't follow that team.

Maybe Mayo supporters would but they don't always travel to outer Castlebar. The attendance at last month's game v Roscommon was 20,500 in a stadium with a capacity of 38,000.
    There was a sizeable Roscommon following there and the match was not televised by RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 mhaigheo

How in the name of God is Ian Burke an All Star. He wouldnt lace Comer or Shane Walshs boots. Gave a few nice hand pass assits last year and played well for the club but not up to it. Has to be better options in Galway than carrying players like that
    that is one of the craziest comments I have ever seen and that is saying something as I also read the WJ Blog

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He was excellent last year. He had a bad (actually terrible) game yesterday but it happens. Doesn't mean he's not a very good player. Just that he had a bad day.

Probably the worst I've ever seen him play to be honest. He must have fumbled every ball kicked into him. For a fella who usually has great hands.

Thought Walsh deserved an all star ahead of Burke last year but the media seemed to be completely in love with Burke.

However, Burke is a superb player - easily worth his place on the Galway team. His biggest weakness probably comes from his biggest strength.
    He needs to know when to go for a score rather than always looking to hand pass the ball off. Yesterday, there were 2 occasions in the first half where a point was on but he
    looked to pop the pass off.

One bad day and hes a write off? Wouldn't like you managing a team. You'd go through a squad like a dose of the scuts. Careers would be counted in games, not years.

Burke was excellent last year and he is nearly always excellent for Corofin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Lavelle is a good goalkeeper. Remember the save he made from Dean Rock in the league final. His kickouts are good too. However, the quality of his kick outs drop dramatically when Galway are under pressure. And thats when you need your goalie to keep a level head. Nothing worse than being under pressure and you keep kicking ball back to opposition. I find it hard to understand why Power was dropped though - he played well v Sligo except for one poor kick out that was straight to a Sligo man.

Modern intercounty keeper needs two things - unshakable composure under pressure and a consistent kickout. Labelle has neither when the chips are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Hypothetical question - if MD was to leave the hurlers; who would you like to see replace him?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MattressRick

If the team get proper coaching they really could be something serious.
    The only reason Walsh has his blanket defence is because defenders aren't coached in tackling. If someone with good coaching knowledge like Donie Buckley was there (though I know he's out of the picture), I think we could man up a bit more in the backs and go man to man with maybe one extra sweeper as such. Like Dublin. I don't for a second believe that the Dublin and mayo backs were born as good as they are, there's proper coaching there for years. The likes of SAOC and Kerin don't need to do much, just tackle properly with the hand and strip the ball the odd time.
    Kerin is becoming pretty unlikeable to me with the hard man ****. He's trying to put lads off their game, grabbing murtagh by the throat before throw in yesterday, but everyone's wise to it now, know it's coming and don't get rattled by it as a result. He stripped the ball twice yesterday but needs to concentrate on that side more.
    It's obvious Walsh and silke are doing **** all, probably a raft of training matches telling lads not to foul and as a result players haven't a hand laid on them. It's plain to see where teams waltz through us and our forwards don't know how to break tackles.
    All in all, Walsh out after this championship peters out like it will. Whoever is coaching corofin should be begged to come in to coach Galway.

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Lavelle is a good goalkeeper. Remember the save he made from Dean Rock in the league final. His kickouts are good too. However, the quality of his kick outs drop dramatically when Galway are under pressure. And thats when you need your goalie to keep a level head. Nothing worse than being under pressure and you keep kicking ball back to opposition. I find it hard to understand why Power was dropped though - he played well v Sligo except for one poor kick out that was straight to a Sligo man.

Modern intercounty keeper needs two things - unshakable composure under pressure and a consistent kickout. Labelle has neither when the chips are down.

I'll hold judgment of both of our keepers knockouts until theres a management team who put a discernible plan in place which involves creating and moving into space.

The keeper doesn't create this but would be dictated where to kick it by the space and movement and most of these kicks don't need to be pin point but kicks bouncing into space.

He can stop a shot which is all Jim Gavin would need from him as the kickouts take care of themselves to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

donnem33 wrote: »
    Hypothetical question - if MD was to leave the hurlers; who would you like to see replace him?

Mulqueen is probably the obvious choice. I'd like to see them chat to Anthony Daly or Eddie Brennan though.

donnem33 wrote:

Football wise I could name ten people I would take. Hurling not so easy. Very few stand out with club setups. Jeff Lynskey hasn't blotted his copy book yet and be interested to see how he gets on with the U20 team this year. But I don't think he would be a short term option. Eamon O Shea is the only person that springs to mind. But his tenure with Tipp didn't set the world alight. Him working in Galway and his son a decent hurler for Galway minors means he has at least some ties to Galway.

• Advertisement

Football wise I could name ten people I would take. Hurling not so easy. Very few stand out with club setups. Jeff Lynskey hasn't blotted his copy book yet and be interested to see how he gets on with the U20 team this year. But I don't think he would be a short term option. Eamon O Shea is the only person that springs to mind. But his tenure with Tipp didn't set the world alight. Him working in Galway and his son a decent hurler for Galway minors means he has at least some ties to Galway.

Who are the 10?

If the team get proper coaching they really could be something serious.
    The only reason Walsh has his blanket defence is because defenders aren't coached in tackling. If someone with good coaching knowledge like Donie Buckley was there (though I know he's out of the picture), I think we could man up a bit more in the backs and go man to man with maybe one extra sweeper as such. Like Dublin. I don't for a second believe that the Dublin and mayo backs were born as good as they are, there's proper coaching there for years. The likes of SAOC and Kerin don't need to do much, just tackle properly with the hand and strip the ball the odd time.
    Kerin is becoming pretty unlikeable to me with the hard man ****. He's trying to put lads off their game, grabbing murtagh by the throat before throw in yesterday, but everyone's wise to it now, know it's coming and don't get rattled by it as a result. He stripped the ball twice yesterday but needs to concentrate on that side more.
    It's obvious Walsh and silke are doing **** all, probably a raft of training matches telling lads not to foul and as a result players haven't a hand laid on them. It's plain to see where teams waltz through us and our forwards don't know how to break tackles.
    All in all, Walsh out after this championship peters out like it will. Whoever is coaching corofin should be begged to come in to coach Galway.

We should never need any more than 8 at the back to thwart any attack if its done correctly. I hate seeing defenders committing to the tackle immediately. Shadow and pressure but don't commit. Wait for the second man and if the sweepers do their job correctly then they'll be there in under 2 secs, 3 max. Galway now have so many back that no ones responsible for anything bar shuffling back and forth like table footballers. No ones responsible to pick up anyone and its a confused mess.
    Traditional six defending on the inside with two lads dropping in between the FB and HB lines is all it takes to have a very tight defense and stop runners from midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MattressRick

As much as Cunningham deserves huge credit but I'd imagine the changes made at half time weren't all down to his tactical nous. In the all Ireland in 2015 he didn't react to Kilkenny flooding the Galway half forward line in the second half so I don't think he's turned into a master technician overnight but I'd imagine he has surrounded himself with a very good back room team and credit to him.
    There's a series of rabbits caught in headlights on the Galway sideline.

Who are the 10?

Rochford, PJ, Divilly, Kevin O Brien, McGuinness (currently available) Cunningham, Jim Gavin, Roy Keane, Jack Charlton and myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You would have to wonder what the fcuk the footballers are at at training these days to play like they did yesterday.
    Playing a game of kicky ball across the pitch by the look of it and practicing all men back.
    Walsh should be gone this morning but no.hel buy himself a bit of time and prepare a load of waffle excuses for interviews. The weather will be mentioned while talking up Roscommon as world beaters.
    Fair play to Roscommon in winning the game but they weren’t pulling up trees by any means yesterday.
    They were let come into Salthill and run riot. The blame for that lies with players and management.
    Walsh should be gone today.get someone from the back room team to manage them for the next round and instruct the players to go man to man with whoever comes out in the draw,kick the fcukin ball forward,and put it over the bar.
    Back to basics and go out of the championship trying to play ball instead of partaking in the likes of that farce yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

If Galway get a home draw I think you will be looking at a very small crowd . As one lad said to me today 35 euro to watch a team handpass the ball back the way 11 times in a row is not my idea of enjoyment . Supporters are completely passed off and it’s hard to blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

spurshero wrote: »
    If Galway get a home draw I think you will be looking at a very small crowd . As one lad said to me today 35 euro to watch a team handpass the ball back the way 11 times in a row is not my idea of enjoyment . Supporters are completely passed off and it’s hard to blame them

Kevin Walsh's brand of football is tolerated only if you are winning. If the team is playing crap football and losing then the patience of the Galway fans won't last very long. I think many have already given up on going to the games as they can't stick the football.

Rochford, PJ, Divilly, Kevin O Brien, McGuinness (currently available) Cunningham, Jim Gavin, Roy Keane, Jack Charlton and myself.

I'd take any of ye bar McGuinness.

You would have to wonder what the fcuk the footballers are at at training these days to play like they did yesterday.
    Playing a game of kicky ball across the pitch by the look of it and practicing all men back.
    Walsh should be gone this morning but no.hel buy himself a bit of time and prepare a load of waffle excuses for interviews. The weather will be mentioned while talking up Roscommon as world beaters.
    Fair play to Roscommon in winning the game but they weren’t pulling up trees by any means yesterday.
    They were let come into Salthill and run riot. The blame for that lies with players and management.
    Walsh should be gone today.get someone from the back room team to manage them for the next round and instruct the players to go man to man with whoever comes out in the draw,kick the fcukin ball forward,and put it over the bar.
    Back to basics and go out of the championship trying to play ball instead of partaking in the likes of that farce yesterday

Did he even come out and give an interview yesterday or did he go to ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

Thought Walsh deserved an all star ahead of Burke last year but the media seemed to be completely in love with Burke.

However, Burke is a superb player - easily worth his place on the Galway team. His biggest weakness probably comes from his biggest strength.
    He needs to know when to go for a score rather than always looking to hand pass the ball off. Yesterday, there were 2 occasions in the first half where a point was on but he
    looked to pop the pass off.

I think it's clear Shane is our best player by some distance. People saying he had a poor game yesterday but in the first half he created everything, can't be relying on him to beat his man and create something everytime. When nobody else was stepping up and even attempting to take their man on it just became too easy to cover. Damo is badly needed to take some of the pressure off and then the likes of McDaid, Daly, Molloy who have the pace and skill to beat a man have to take charge too.

Advertisement