Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

As a neutral it was difficult to watch. And it turned cold. Not a good combination. But. I still found it somewhat intriguing. M/M executed their game plan very well. Not sure if I agree it was just M/M who made this game very defensive. Plenty of times M/M had possession of the football for minutes on end with a sea of Corofin in front of them. M/M will need to add some sort of attacking dimension the next day to win. Corofin won't play as badly (M/M can play better too) and Corofin know what they are going to do. Surprise attacks only works once. Saw a different side of Dylan Wall in marking Daly and did very well. Shows he's adaptable as a defender. Other than that Sice took some nice scores (missed some frees) Liam Silke was good too. Finnerty for M/M was good but they had more of a team game than individual performances.

Was in the same position myself! 😊 You could see the panic setting into MM when they went the point up whereas Corofin never panicked and managed to get that point they needed. Corofin are the type of team that play you any way you want, when MM started defensively Corofin mirrored them. Still think Corofin have a lot more to give, bar Sice, Steede, Wall and Molloy the rest of them couldn't say they had a good game. Even Sice missed frees you'd normally count before he even takes them. Don't understand why Power is coming up to take the frees/45s either, I don't think I've ever seen him score one. Molloy made some run to catch that long ball in while Power was making his way back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone know what the attendance was in Pearse Stadium?

djPSB wrote: »

There was a big crowd in for the first game but a lot left after so hard to say. Also €20 was a bit bloody steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

djPSB wrote: »

Better question is what will the county board say the attendance was in next year’s accounts ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Most teams that go toe to toe with Corofin come out the wrong size. M/M stuck rigidly to their gameplan and only for a clearance off the line would have gone in 3points up at the break. Ya seen that. Thought he played advantage to Sice that time as he was clearly pulled back but it went on too long after to bring it back. Right call on the M/M free that put them a point up and also on the time keeping. Well done to An Spideal. Better team by far on the day. They just never go away!! Long road for MB to get to the top of the mountain again next year. They dominated midfield but even with that couldn't push on with the extra man for all the 2nd half.

• Advertisement

Most teams that go toe to toe with Corofin come out the wrong size. M/M stuck rigidly to their gameplan and only for a clearance off the line would have gone in 3points up at the break. Ya seen that. Thought he played advantage to Sice that time as he was clearly pulled back but it went on too long after to bring it back. Right call on the M/M free that put them a point up and also on the time keeping. Well done to An Spideal. Better team by far on the day. They just never go away!! Long road for MB to get to the top of the mountain again next year. They dominated midfield but even with that couldn't push on with the extra man for all the 2nd half.

An Spideal have had the measure of MB in recent times both in hurling and football.

If I'm correct, rolling back say 7/8 years..
    MB were senior football, An Spideal were Junior A. MB were Junior A hurling, An Spideal were Junior B hurling (now Intermediate).

An Spideal winning Junior A football and hurling and now winning Intermediate football.

Better question is what will the county board say the attendance was in next year’s accounts ??

Indeed, be more helpful at the moment if they could announce the fixture for the replay, what's with the delay, the right thing to have done would have been to have plans for a replay organised in case of a draw but not these lads!

Indeed, be more helpful at the moment if they could announce the fixture for the replay, what's with the delay, the right thing to have done would have been to have plans for a replay organised in case of a draw but not these lads!

The whole fixtures process is a farce now. That should have been announced on Sunday after the final whistle.

Michael Breathnachs, after losing a county final on Sunday, have to play a Junior hurling semi final tomorrow night, potentially a county final on Thursday night and a Connacht final on Saturday. 4 games in 6 days. Totally unacceptable. You'd wonder for how long more will club players accept this kind of treatment.

County final replay Sunday, Pearse stadium at 1-45. They obviously want no neutrals at this game again, why isn't it in Tuam?

County final replay Sunday, Pearse stadium at 1-45. They obviously want no neutrals at this game again, why isn't it in Tuam?

Because they can't back track now. They said the facilities aren't good enough for a County Final. Although there have been numerous county finals played in Tuam in same facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭mjp

Why such an early throw in. Are any of the hurling matches on with it. €20 is a bit Irish to charge into games. Especially if only going to intermediate final after forming out for last week's game.

mjp wrote: »
    Why such an early throw in. Are any of the hurling matches on with it. €20 is a bit Irish to charge into games. Especially if only going to intermediate final after forming out for last week's game.

I'd imagine in case one or both games go to extra time, it got seriously dark very quickly last Sunday. Cortoon Barna relegation final is on before it at 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

mjp wrote: »
    Are any of the hurling matches on with it.

Could never see that happening, a lot of hurling supporters would have zero interest in staying for the football final so it really would not be a good look with a big exodus before the football even starts

Both hurling are in Athenry sunday, will be a massive crowd in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I assume it's not in Tuam because of the work currently being done there which has probably further reduced their capacity. The ironic thing is that if they had it in tuam, it could attract a crowd that tuam can't accommodate. But by having it in Pearse, it'll probably end up having a crowd that Tuam could have catered for!!!

On the drawn match, it was awful to watch. Terrible. I was glad Corofin equalised because mountbellew did not deserve to win with the way they played and set themselves up. They scored a point after 23 minutes in the second half to put themselves a point down. Immediately, the whole team ran backwards leaving about 6 or 7 Corofin lads free to pick up their kick out. Corofin were defensive too but nothing on the level of mountbellew. Mountbellew were incredibly lucky to stay in the game with Corofin missing frees (Leonard hit a particularly poor one). They have 3 forwards on the Galway panel in Daly, McHugh, Finnerty. And they're afraid to attack Corofin......I went to that game wanting to see Corofin taken down. But I was genuinely happy they got that equaliser (even though the ref probably should've blown it when Steede almost kicked it away)

I assume it's not in Tuam because of the work currently being done there which has probably further reduced their capacity. The ironic thing is that if they had it in tuam, it could attract a crowd that tuam can't accommodate. But by having it in Pearse, it'll probably end up having a crowd that Tuam could have catered for!!!

On the drawn match, it was awful to watch. Terrible. I was glad Corofin equalised because mountbellew did not deserve to win with the way they played and set themselves up. They scored a point after 23 minutes in the second half to put themselves a point down. Immediately, the whole team ran backwards leaving about 6 or 7 Corofin lads free to pick up their kick out. Corofin were defensive too but nothing on the level of mountbellew. Mountbellew were incredibly lucky to stay in the game with Corofin missing frees (Leonard hit a particularly poor one). They have 3 forwards on the Galway panel in Daly, McHugh, Finnerty. And they're afraid to attack Corofin......I went to that game wanting to see Corofin taken down. But I was genuinely happy they got that equaliser (even though the ref probably should've blown it when Steede almost kicked it away)

The only other way M/M would have "taken down" Corofin was with snipers on the roof of the stand. They knew what they were up against and they prepared accordingly and nearly pulled off the shock of the year at all levels. Mountbellew/Moylough want to win a county final. They dont want a pat on the head after a moral victory. Its up to Corofin to come up with a plan to get around M/Ms system now. Im sure Mr Morris and his gurus are tweeking their set up as I type and going through every last details of the video from Sunday. I for one am looking forward to the replay.

I think the way MM set up the last day will only catch out the likes of Corofin once, even the last day they didn't catch them, Corofin still came back to draw the game. I can't help feeling that they've 'poked the bear' so to speak and we'll see Corofin going at them hard from the start. Corofin didn't play well at all last Sunday and they'll be out to redeem themselves. You'd wonder did a bit of complacency set in after the Annaghdown game, certainly anyone I spoke to before that match was calling that the real county final with Annaghdown hyped up by the local media and coming off some good wins too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

There's been some great skill on show in the football this year, yesterday was just a complete horror show. MM were determined not to let Corofin get going and in fairness after the last couple of beatings they've shipped from them you couldn't blame them for being so defensive even though it was horrific to watch. Even before the throw in their forwards lined up on the Corofin 45 ready to sprint into defence at the throw in. Corofin were uncharacteristicly sloppy and flat, when you see Ian Burke coming off you know things aren't going well! You'd think they'll be a different team the next day, they were extremely lucky to draw. Referee was inconsistent yesterday I thought, spotted a foul on MM man inside and rightly gave the free for it but when the same was done to Sice minutes before that he told him to get up. Wouldn't agree with all the uproar about the time keeping though, at least 3 minutes was announced, Barry
    McHugh took nearly a minute over a free and there was a substitution made in injury time.

I quite enjoyed the game; it was interesting to watch, and there was clearly an extremely high level of skills on show within the way that the game was played.

I thought MM played a super game, and were the better team. They nullified Corofin so much that Gary Sice looked like the only useful Corofin forward, and that takes some doing. And, to be fair, Corofin were just as defensive in their own approach. Why would MM look to push the ball into the forwards when Corofin regularly had every single player sitting well inside their own half making no proactive effort to pressure possession? Fair play to Corofin at the end, they showed serious composure to find an equaliser; a real measure of great champions.

The incident where you mention Gary Sice was fouled off the ball (inside the 21 in the second half) looked like a complete flop to me btw. He was constantly whinging to the officials for very minor interference from his marker on the terrace side, probably didn't help him.

elefant wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed the game; it was interesting to watch, and there was clearly an extremely high level of skills on show within the way that the game was played.

I thought MM played a super game, and were the better team. They nullified Corofin so much that Gary Sice looked like the only useful Corofin forward, and that takes some doing. And, to be fair, Corofin were just as defensive in their own approach. Why would MM look to push the ball into the forwards when Corofin regularly had every single player sitting well inside their own half making no proactive effort to pressure possession? Fair play to Corofin at the end, they showed serious composure to find an equaliser; a real measure of great champions.

The incident where you mention Gary Sice was fouled off the ball (inside the 21 in the second half) looked like a complete flop to me btw. He was constantly whinging to the officials for very minor interference from his marker on the terrace side, probably didn't help him.

If this new 3 hand pass and then kick comes into law it is only going to strenghten the grip teams like Corofin/Crokes/Dublin have over championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Well done Ian Burke on his all star.
    To think Walsh didn’t think him good enough to start against Mayo in castlebar.
    Shows all he knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

While Walsh was criminally slow to get Burke in before recent years, it's well documented that he was late back this year and could only make it to training once a week due to work. He was starting Burke towards the end of 2017 remember so he obviously knew he was the right option at that stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

Shane Walsh must be rather bemused he wasn't honoured. Little between them I'd say. Have first cousins for Galway ever received honours on the same night?

I see a lot of people saying Shane Walsh should have gotten one over Ian Burke, I don't agree with that to be honest, I think they should both have gotten one, Monaghan got 3 and didn't even win Ulster! Whatever about being the first cousins to get one on the same night, Ian is the first player to be named on an all star club and county team in the one year. Some achievement, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MfMan wrote: »
    Shane Walsh must be rather bemused he wasn't honoured. Little between them I'd say. Have first cousins for Galway ever received honours on the same night?

Shane is very unlucky. Kept Galway afloat almost by himself in the Connacht final. Was oustanding in that game. Good against Kerry. 1-5 (1-2 from play) against Dublin. The first year he was consistently good across the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Went to county final today as a neutral. Another awful game of football. The game is ruined as a spectacle. To be fair I blame M/M for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Went to county final today as a neutral. Another awful game of football. The game is ruined as a spectacle. To be fair I blame M/M for the most part.

M/M had a game plan. Retreat 15 players to the 45 and try and hit corofin on the break and I kind of understand why they do it.

Now what I don’t understand is that with 8mins to go and 4 pts down that game plan didn’t change one bit. M/M let corofin have the ball for nearly 3 mins. Never pushed up. Let them pass it back and over for what seemed an eternity. I just don’t understand??? Were they content with losing the final by 4pts. Surely there comes a point when you go “right lads we have to go for this”. Baffling really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Had no interest in the football after that filth from last week so went along to Athenry for the semis and was delighted I did. Was actually one of the biggest crowds I've ever seen in Kenny Park.

Went in a neutral but came out of it absolutely gutted for Cap after an absolute thriller. Jarlath Mannion is a serious hurler at corner forward and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck when Mellows were cruising. On the other end Haran was fantastic for Mellows and won them the match. He has great aerial ability for his height. James Skehill missed a penalty which killed Cap for the remainder of the half.

Toms look top dogs. Darragh and Eanna Burke were outstanding for them. Kevin Cooney was Sars only real threat. Conor Cooney was at half-back and was a mix of OK and pretty poor for any dirty work. Just not that type of hurler tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

Had no interest in the football after that filth from last week so went along to Athenry for the semis and was delighted I did. Was actually one of the biggest crowds I've ever seen in Kenny Park.

Went in a neutral but came out of it absolutely gutted for Cap after an absolute thriller. Jarlath Mannion is a serious hurler at corner forward and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck when Mellows were cruising. On the other end Haran was fantastic for Mellows and won them the match. He has great aerial ability for his height. James Skehill missed a penalty which killed Cap for the remainder of the half.

Toms look top dogs. Darragh and Eanna Burke were outstanding for them. Kevin Cooney was Sars only real threat. Conor Cooney was at half-back and was a mix of OK and pretty poor for any dirty work. Just not that type of hurler tbf.

A superb, absolutely top class afternoon of play in Athenry, 2 excellent semis. Tom's came good at the end after a slow start. The 'lesser' county players for them stood up, Eanna Burke especially, though David grew more influential as the game progressed. Conor Cooney's only point a terrific effort from the shadow of the stand. Kevin Cooney is county-class without question, just needs to bulk up.

In the other game, it was deja vu after last year's installment. Cappy will probably wonder long into the winter why they are not in the final. Took the lead once again in injury time and missed a straightforward chance immediately that would surely have won it. Mellows equalised and Haran hit a superb winner. Cappy had one last chance but, like last September, a dropping free was cleared in the last play, (though Alan Kelly, who was a bit harsh all through on Cappy I thought, had grounds for awarding them a free). Jarlath Mannion outstanding for the losers, while back-from-injury sub Darragh Dolan made a major impact when sprung. Mellows are a tough team to play against, defensively very strong, but a bit reliant on Haran, (maybe player of the championship to date) up front for scores.

Like last week's Thomas'/Bridge match, the scoring quality and some of the hurling passages this afternoon were simply sublime. Has there ever been a greater contrast between both codes in the county than we've seen today? I presume the final in 2 weeks time will be in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

MfMan wrote: »
    A superb, absolutely top class afternoon of play in Athenry, 2 excellent semis. Tom's came good at the end after a slow start. The 'lesser' county players for them stood up, Eanna Burke especially, though David grew more influential as the game progressed. Conor Cooney's only point a terrific effort from the shadow of the stand. Kevin Cooney is county-class without question, just needs to bulk up.

In the other game, it was deja vu after last year's installment. Cappy will probably wonder long into the winter why they are not in the final. Took the lead once again in injury time and missed a straightforward chance immediately that would surely have won it. Mellows equalised and Haran hit a superb winner. Cappy had one last chance but, like last September, a dropping free was cleared in the last play, (though Alan Kelly, who was a bit harsh all through on Cappy I thought, had grounds for awarding them a free). Jarlath Mannion outstanding for the losers, while back-from-injury sub Darragh Dolan made a major impact when sprung. Mellows are a tough team to play against, defensively very strong, but a bit reliant on Haran, (maybe player of the championship to date) up front for scores.

Like last week's Thomas'/Bridge match, the scoring quality and some of the hurling passages this afternoon were simply sublime. Has there ever been a greater contrast between both codes in the county than we've seen today? I presume the final in 2 weeks time will be in Salthill.

Ya this day 2 weeks final in Pearse stadium . Agree with you was a good day out . Tommies were bit cuter and got scores little easier than a game but limited sars. I thought eanna Burke was outstanding . The second game was a thriller . I think nobody could have complained with a draw . Mannion outstanding for Cappa . But for me the best hurler in the county last 18 months is tadgh Haran . Can’t understand how he’s not getting a run with Galway . I know he did before but he has improved a lot last 2 years and surely donoghue will have to give him a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

spurshero wrote: »
    But for me the best hurler in the county last 18 months is tadgh Haran . Can’t understand how he’s not getting a run with Galway . I know he did before but he has improved a lot last 2 years and surely donoghue will have to give him a chance

Fully agreed. Asked a few Mellows lads around me on the terrace is there any reasoning behind it and they didn't know why he wasn't on the panel. He's been so good as you said in the last 2 seasons there surely has to be a reason why he hasn't even featured in any Galway matches since 2013. He was on the intermediate team that beat Cork a few years back too.

• Advertisement

Oranmore are a club on the up. Win an Intermediate hurling title on the Saturday and are still able to beat senior team Monivea in a Div3 football league game the next morning by 20 odd points. Impressive stuff.

Advertisement