Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭threeball

Except he didn't. As I posted earlier. Shouldered into the back whilst walking off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Armagh subs & non playing members were the main culprits in the brawl, attacking Galway players, as was pointed out in the Sunday game, they had nothing to lose, if they got sent off it wouldn't affect Armagh, pure thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kiloughter

For what it's worth I think we should stick with Gleeson the next day given Flaherty is unlikely to be match fit. Anyone of a certain age will remember 1980 when Michael Conneely had a meltdown in the hurling semi final against Offaly but was our saviour in the final against Limerick. No doubt Mgt will work on Glesson and I think he will be okay the next day. Am more worried about his hesitancy in taking the kick outs although when he goes long he has great distance. On the support I agree it should be better but a point well made is the dullness of the colour maroon. Teams like Ros, Donegal, Armagh and anyone in red will always stand out colour wise. Armagh were always going to have huge support but anyone there on Sunday will note plenty of maroon pockets on the hill and I figure the 10k estimate is about right. Think we will have 15k to 20k the next day. Derry support will be bigger than what they had in '98 and '01 when we comfortably outnumbered them on both occasions. Still it won't be as big as Armaghs as thd latter population wise are the best supported team in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

One good thing about the melee and drama from Sunday is that it has created great interest and excitement about the team. It was all the talk yesterday, from the TV / radio / media to people at work. There's a bit more buzz and hype about the Seniors now and every kid in the county will pester mammy and daddy to bring them to the next game because their friends are going. Should be worth at least 5k in support v Derry.

Equally, the manner of victory on Sunday should bond the team and squad even closer again and give them an increased sense of mission. Training should be good over the next fortnight.

Kelly has been exonerated I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I believe Westmeath are playing the Tailteann final beforehand so that will increase the maroon.

I would also keep Gleeson. He made mistakes but so did his defence (e.g. the bounce!). The blind pass while falling was criminal but his head was gone. He needs to work on kickout accuracy but I like the length. Dropping him after that game would haunt him and all future Galway goalkeepers. I like Flaherty too but he is young and just back from injury I think.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Bernie Power wasn't given a chance after that 2019 qualifier. Gleeson wasn't 100% at fault for all 3 goals but it'd be a massive risk to start him against that Derry FF-line. Generally goalies don't bounce back in Galway from horror showings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

What about Martin Mac, think would he tog?? 🤔

Post edited by ShamNNspace on

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭BaywatchHQ

I don't get that "common denominator" logic, for all we know anti Northern sledging could have been the common denominator in the Donegal and Galway brawls. I read on social media that Michael Murphy made comments about orange marching but you wouldn't know for sure.

Regarding that "common denominator" term, if you follow that logic prostitutes were to blame for the Jack the ripper murders because they were the "common denominator".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭rn

Fair enough, let's drop common denominator as important here. You're right it's not.

More important is actions and consequences and future implications. Armagh were involved in 2 brawls this summer before this one. On each occasion the players sentences were appealed and they got off. So armagh players realise the stakes are not that high for being involved in brawls.

There's too problems with this. One is armagh themselves don't accept personal responsibility for their actions - clearly they regard themselves as wronged, otherwise you would not appeal in the previous cases. And second problem is the GAA disciplinary system has proven not to stand up to scrutiny and not fit for purpose. And the second point causes a snowball effect on the first problem, making it more likely to re occur and much more likely that a brawl will happen when armagh involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbf, some of their behaviour during the match was scandalous, most of it went unpunished. Not saying Galway were totally blameless, but, Armagh were the main culprits and they have a well earned reputation for poor discipline, plus one of the brawls they were involved in involved Tyrone. As for the bizarre Jack the Ripper reference, surely Jack the Ripper was the common denominator!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Armagh deserve all the suspensions they get. They definately were the instigators . I dont think 'sledging ' them matters a jott. If telling them they are from the UK or other such stuff riles them up then so what. Its silly stuff but verbal are part of any game..

There's no respect for the law in many parts of republican Northern Ireland. This extends to sport. Dont think for a second that this doesn't seep down and become ingrained.

Don't think verbal abuse is part of the game at all. It's one thing telling a fella he's playing shít and about to be subbed. It's another thing to comment on a players mother dying of cancer as happened in a Tyrone donegal u20 game, or taking aim at ethnicity or religion etc.

I dont think Galway engage in the second kind of verbals as theres been no indication of it in any previous games. Armagh on the other hand think its grand to kick, punch, drop knees on or gouge players as they see fit.

The GAA need to look at cause and effect. You can't blame a guy for reacting if he's punched, kicked or hit with a cheap shot but it's nearly always a case that he gets booked or sent off too. The instigator needs to be dealt with severely.

Also, Coldrick, who was useless, should have been watching that tunnel after full time. The whole stadium had eyes on it knowing the potential of a flash point but he decided it was time for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Robert2014

I have some sympathies with the referee when the melee happens but we have to acknowledge that his action or inaction allowed for it to happen. There were multiple off the ball incidents towards the end of the game when Armagh had nothing to lose that went unpunished. Why was the goalie booked for the incident with Comer? Why was Shane Walsh booked and his marker let go when obviously we should have at least got a second yellow and sent off? This and our late collapse emboldened Armagh players to think that intimidating our players was working and going unpunished. This led to the beginning of the melee when we finally stood up to it. There is a lot of blame to go around, and the referee's part needs to be looked at. If he didn't bottle booking Armagh players after the red card, it wouldn't have happened the way it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's some bullshit they're seemingly holding up Kelly's red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Am I mistaken in that Comer was the one booked for the incident with the goalie, Comer harmlessly jostled him after the score(I've often seen it when a sub runs on etc)... The goalie then retaliated and they both ended up on the ground, both should have been booked or given a ticking off then imv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Shane Walsh should get some form of sanction for that crossfield pass on the 78th+ minute 😛

You could argue this caused the melee

Comer was being a knob. Take the score and add another. Mouthing at backs or the goalie only leads to flashpoints. Booked and rightly so. I think the instigator needs to be dealt with in these incidents and its one of the few calls Coldrick got right all game.

Upholding the red against Sean Kelly is just another farce to add to a long list of farcical GAA disciplinary decisions. They just make it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Pretty sure Kelly will play the semi but the 24 weeks for Tiernan is a non punishment. Well done CCCC on cementing their image as a laughing stock.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭vid36

Cathal Sweeney has got a game too

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Stewball

Was he the player who took an almighty swing at the eye gouger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

have 2 spare tickets for the hurling Sunday - Upper Cusack - 50 each face value I'll let them go 50 for the two if anyone interested PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That’s the smart thing to do but in fairness Armagh were sledging, fouling and up to all sorts off the ball. I have no major issue with Comer giving it back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Kelly off, Sweeney suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cosatron

G mac named center back and cianan fahy dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭mjp

Kelly suspension cleared is official now and Galway gas released press release. They will leave the Sweeney suspension as is as not worth the public backlash if we're to appeal it. If he was a starting player they might consider it I would say

The CCCC are just a running joke in the GAA now. 24 weeks in the off season for eye gouging.

A red card for an obviously innocent player overturned in less than 24hrs.

And a sacrificial lamb in Cathal sweeney who misses the semi final for potentially saving the GAA a lawsuit.

It's only a matter of time before their laissez-faire attitude to discipline ends up in live changing injuries for a player and then the shít will hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Too many procedures to allow wiggle room. Streamline the process with no ifs or buts. It’s a two Dee it’s a shambles look we got away with fahys ban because of covid procedures.

• Advertisement

Fahy should never have got off and we shouldn't have appealed it. There should be no defending wreckless acts like that.

They need to scrap this CCCC muck. Set out definitive punishment for offences that can be appealed but only with contrary evidence. No, you missed a fadá technical crap. If you lose the appeal it's increased by 50%. Suspensions should also be available where clear dangerous play or assaults are caught on camera.

Time to clean up the sport and get rid of the thugs. Sometimes the only decent games you get to watch these days are underage games as its relatively pure but its even seeping in there with coaches training kids to harass players off the ball, verbally abuse or drag counter attackers down. And it's entirelys the top brass fault because they tolerate it and won't grasp the nettle.

Advertisement