Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That wasn't great. Needed to be far more clinical when we had the 14-12 advantage. Very poor first half with a lot of ponderous build up, only to kick silly ball to the sweeper. In saying that the ref rode us for the first 50 mins. Cunningham, although raw was a bright spark. Most good play came through Walsh, while Ian Burke had 3/4 excellent link ups. Silke was effective in the backs.

Depressing enough to see plenty leaving after the hurling. Galway is known as a big county but in reality it's fairly small when a lot of the county treat a team with indifference

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    That wasn't great. Needed to be far more clinical when we had the 14-12 advantage. Very poor first half with a lot of ponderous build up, only to kick silly ball to the sweeper. In saying that the ref rode us for the first 50 mins. Cunningham, although raw was a bright spark. Most good play came through Walsh, while Ian Burke had 3/4 excellent link ups. Silke was effective in the backs.

Depressing enough to see plenty leaving after the hurling. Galway is known as a big county but in reality it's fairly small when a lot of the county treat a team with indifference

Think they gave the official attendance as well over 8,000 but half might have left before the football.

Can't see many going to Croke Park next weekend especially with Ireland v England on before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

A win is a win . With next 2 games away in Monaghan and Dublin it was vital to get 2 points today . 5 will keep us up . I think if we could find a new player or 2 and with players to return it’s about staying in division one building for championship . Plenty of lads to come back to give more options like comer Conroy brannigan valrley etc . There needs to be pressure for each spot and I think that’s when we will see best of team . Also ya would like to
    See ball go in faster at times and Cunningham deserves another chance . Finally kerin needs to stop getting involved in stuff that has nothing to do with him as one of these days he will push a ref to far .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A win is a win but Christ we tried to piss away a comfortable win. Thought Seán Kelly in the second half had the best showing he's had in maroon. He was everywhere and setup so many opportunities. Walsh was a slack in his final touch but in the second half his surging runs likely tilted the match in our favour. GO'D, Cunningham, Flynn and Burke were also impressive.

The ref had no control of the match and Duggan was fierce lucky not to get sent off for a shocking high arm.

Wouldn't be expecting to take anything from Croker. At least this win sets us up for must-wins against Mayo away and the two home games.
    Cavan_King wrote: »
    What did ye think of Cavan lads? Northern Sound commentary reckon we threw it away end of first half in a ten minute spell where we had 7 potential scores wide/dropped short.
    Ye definitely played the better football in that half. The kickpassing at times was excellent but ye really pissed away some handy frees. At half-time ye probably were 3 points the better side truth-be-told. Mackey could've had a massive impact if he came on sooner too. Ye played too much ball into our sweeper in the second half but your keeper saved ye bigtime twice. Galway probably should've scored 3 goals but for two great saves and some excellent pressure to make our forward Cunningham take too much out of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I thought that Duggan one was ok, bit high obviously but just one of those that happens sometimes. The ref didn't get too much else right however. He seemed to not know the mark existed. I watched some of the Monaghan game on my phone at HT and Monaghan were working little 20 yard kicks into McManus to win marks Aussie Rules style. Bar a couple of defensive marks at the start of the game it's like he decided it wasn't a rule anymore. Kerin getting involved and back chatting is a problem, but I did think it was good to see him standing up on that occasion with 2 Cavan lads kneeing Walsh on the ground with the linesman watching on.

Positive that the 2 Daly's were on the bench today also. Burke and Silke will be a loss but a little more optimistic heading to Dublin with the squad available today than the team named to start on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably not ideal going up to play Dublin in Croke Park with them having lost their last two games. Granted 3rd string in O'Byrne Cup final. We might get a bit of a backlash and I doubt we'll see any of the Corofin lads again. I'd say Walsh only used them today because he knew how important 2 points was with fixtures to come. Dubs away a bit of a free hit I suppose.

Tough schedule for Peter Cooke. NUIG midweek. Galway today. And NUIG this midweek again. I didn't expect to see him play today. Will surely not start next weekend you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭threeball

Probably not ideal going up to play Dublin in Croke Park with them having lost their last two games. Granted 3rd string in O'Byrne Cup final. We might get a bit of a backlash and I doubt we'll see any of the Corofin lads again. I'd say Walsh only used them today because he knew how important 2 points was with fixtures to come. Dubs away a bit of a free hit I suppose.

Tough schedule for Peter Cooke. NUIG midweek. Galway today. And NUIG this midweek again. I didn't expect to see him play today. Will surely not start next weekend you'd think.

With all the talk, the powers that be still don't give a monkeys about the players. FBD rubbish, Siegerson, National league, club all crammed into crappy spring weather, a handful of games in the summer and an entire club campaign shoehorned into October and November. I see even the u14 and 15 leagues starting in February. They'll twiddle their thumbs through the good weather and somehow end up playing a final in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hulk Hands wrote: »

It was, I can assure you, 100 times better than Tuam last Sunday, even in the first half. At least they moved and kicked the ball forwards today

I have to say I'm failing to see any improvements in our coaching after all these years.

I just can't see how anyone could argue that we're not the worst coached team in the contender bracket with the worst kick out strategy yet we're five years under this management now.

My God we turn the ball over so cheaply about 3 times from every 4 attacks.

It's rarely down to great defending and more to do with a bad pass or player getting himself turned over from a run that wasn't on.

These types of games aren't the exception either.

Similarly every single time we have a lead instead of holding onto it or increasing it we get reeled in.

We resort to slow kickouts to contests we always lose and fail to build any further attacks.

What I will say is though I found it hilarious when we were holding the ball with 3mins to go that people in the crowd were roaring for us to attack.
    Clueless logic and the right option in that respect.

Kickouts are the same as year 1-4, we'll get away with it apart from playing Dublin but you won't win an AI without beating them so it won't bebe good enough.

All in all, not much has changed. We're where we were in previous years so unless someone takes Dublin out we'll fall short.

We have the calibre of players to be the outright number two but I think we need someone else to push us on that final 5-10% we need to challenge Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cathalachs

Two things I would like to allude too.For the techie people did Damien comer have something up on his instagram saying rumours of himself and k.walsh having a bust up were rubbish?
    Was whelan injured for the hurlers or saving him for ucg duty?

• Advertisement

Cathalachs wrote: »
    Two things I would like to allude too.For the techie people did Damien comer have something up on his instagram saying rumours of himself and k.walsh having a bust up were rubbish?
    Was whelan injured for the hurlers or saving him for ucg duty?

Not sure bout comer . Whelan is supposedly being given month off Galway panel according to a buddy of mine . Not sure if that’s true . Supposedly he was bold boy last week!

I have to say I'm failing to see any improvements in our coaching after all these years.

I just can't see how anyone could argue that we're not the worst coached team in the contender bracket with the worst kick out strategy yet we're five years under this management now.

My God we turn the ball over so cheaply about 3 times from every 4 attacks.

It's rarely down to great defending and more to do with a bad pass or player getting himself turned over from a run that wasn't on.

These types of games aren't the exception either.

Similarly every single time we have a lead instead of holding onto it or increasing it we get reeled in.

We resort to slow kickouts to contests we always lose and fail to build any further attacks.

What I will say is though I found it hilarious when we were holding the ball with 3mins to go that people in the crowd were roaring for us to attack.
    Clueless logic and the right option in that respect.

Kickouts are the same as year 1-4, we'll get away with it apart from playing Dublin but you won't win an AI without beating them so it won't bebe good enough.

All in all, not much has changed. We're where we were in previous years so unless someone takes Dublin out we'll fall short.

We have the calibre of players to be the outright number two but I think we need someone else to push us on that final 5-10% we need to challenge Dublin.

Jesus will ya ever cheer up . Do ya ever have anything positive to say .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

spurshero wrote: »
    Not sure bout comer . Whelan is supposedly being given month off Galway panel according to a buddy of mine . Not sure if that’s true . Supposedly he was bold boy last week!

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about Comer myself but the Whelan news I heard Friday & had it confirmed for me when the video of said incident was sent to me today.

Jesus will ya ever cheer up . Do ya ever have anything positive to say .

Do you have anything constructive to add or have you any opinions.
    Same craic every time from you.

Do you have anything constructive to add or have you any opinions.
    Same craic every time from you.

I say plenty on here . Just don’t like constant negativity . Anyway this my last time responding to you . Won’t be wasting my time from now on with doom merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

spurshero wrote:

Comer injured his ankle play five a side. Don't think there is more to it than that. Whealo is Whealo in regards in the other issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I think our kickouts are much better. Mainly due to Lavelle (I've no problem admitting I think he's a top top goalie). He goes short when he can. Which he did a number of times on Sunday. His ability to find the mid range kick outs is where I put him in the top class list. He is so accurate. Finally we're left with the long range kick out which our midfield has improved in over the years to now be a strong point.

Second highlighted issue. I played the game long enough. Hard to see how you can blame management that a county player can't find a 20 yard kick pass without landing it in the chest of the opposition. I agree it's frustrating to watch but the players need to own that responsibility. Players running pointless channels and getting turned over is an issue for players and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

A win is a win . With next 2 games away in Monaghan and Dublin it was vital to get 2 points today . 5 will keep us up . I think if we could find a new player or 2 and with players to return it’s about staying in division one building for championship . Plenty of lads to come back to give more options like comer Conroy brannigan valrley etc . There needs to be pressure for each spot and I think that’s when we will see best of team . Also ya would like to
    See ball go in faster at times and Cunningham deserves another chance . Finally kerin needs to stop getting involved in stuff that has nothing to do with him as one of these days he will push a ref to far .

Agree with this, it was a win and not pretty, but a win. Kerin is always looking to get involved in some rubbish stiff and will get sent off one of these games.

I have to say that I feel for Danny Cummins, no idea what he has done wrong, but only seems to get 5 mins these days, what is the point of that? He was an all star nominee two years ago, missed much of last year with injury but has come back strong now and seems to be put aside to let them try younger players. I would like to see him get a run as I feel he is a real goal scorer and that is something that we lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Agree with this, it was a win and not pretty, but a win. Kerin is always looking to get involved in some rubbish stiff and will get sent off one of these games.

I have to say that I feel for Danny Cummins, no idea what he has done wrong, but only seems to get 5 mins these days, what is the point of that? He was an all star nominee two years ago, missed much of last year with injury but has come back strong now and seems to be put aside to let them try younger players. I would like to see him get a run as I feel he is a real goal scorer and that is something that we lack.

Cummins might potentially play the Varley role this year when he comes on late in matches. He would be good against tiring backs. However, I dont see any place for him on a team that will have Ian Burke & Damien Comer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJ98

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Injured for all of last year and barely saw any game time during 2017 so its going to be tough to get back in. I really like him and in 2016 he had a great year. I can't see him starting too many games either in the league. This weekend might be his best chance if Comer doesn't return as I think Cunningham is going to get his chance. Its a good sign that a player of his calibre isn't playing too often, it shows we've a decent squad.

On paper this is a very good panel if Wall, Molloy, McDaid & John Daly make the step up I expect them to make.

There's lots to be positive about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Robert2014

What are the thoughts on participation in the Sigerson cup? A distraction to the main competitions like the FA Cup or potential county players getting experience at a very high level?

For me it seems that Corofin's run and the Sigerson cup are to the detriment of competing to remain in league 1 and preparing for the Championship.

Robert2014 wrote: »
    What are the thoughts on participation in the Sigerson cup? A distraction to the main competitions like the FA Cup or potential county players getting experience at a very high level?

For me it seems that Corofin's run and the Sigerson cup are to the detriment of competing to remain in league 1 and preparing for the Championship.

Great competition held at the incorrect time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Great competition held at the incorrect time.

The same argument can be made for the fitzgibbon cup also.

Lads are being asked to play 3 or 4 weeks in a row with 2 matches a week. No wonder some of them get serious injuries - it's crazy stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

RMAOK wrote: »
    The same argument can be made for the fitzgibbon cup also.

Lads are being asked to play 3 or 4 weeks in a row with 2 matches a week. No wonder some of them get serious injuries - it's crazy stuff tbh.

When can they be played realistically?

County season spans from January to August, then club Championships to December or the following march for all Ireland series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Maghnus
    Kerin
    SAO'C
    D. Wynne
    GO'D
    Bradshaw
    Kelly
    Duggan
    Flynn
    McDaid
    Cooke
    Heaney
    Cunningham
    Walsh
    McHugh

Could be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Robert2014 wrote: »

The players have their scholarships to think of. And more power to them. From all accounts it's a great competition but I'm afraid it's never been on my radar and I can't find any gra for it.

Agree with the effect on the county team. It must be a nightmare for KW. That and Corofin going so well. There is talk of the club championship being played off in the calendar year. That would be a great improvement.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    When can they be played realistically?

County season spans from January to August, then club Championships to December or the following march for all Ireland series.

Well you touch on the broader issue of the overall fixtures problem. Maybe they could play club championship in calendar year. Gary Sice made an excellent suggestion in a recent interview about making the club final a Christmas event. And wouldn't it be fantastic for clubs to finish off the year in croke park after playing on mucky pitches through October and November? Maybe you could run off the Sigerson over 2 or 3 weeks in January then as a kind of blitz competition.... something like that. Personally, I think moving club to a calendar year would be first step anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Galway will do well to keep within 10 points of Dublin tonight. I hope I'm wrong but the lineup wouldn't give you much hope.

How anyone thinks we don't have a poor management is beyond me.

Our kickouts are pathetic.

You see every one of them since they're so slow. No movement and players dragging defenders into every area and standing still.
    Dublin lost one due to a slightly over kicked pass that went out.

Constant silly errors from play, kicking into a player with 3/4 Dubs around him.

The sooner we get past KW the better as it reminds me of Ireland under MON it's the same putrid stuff that never contains any improvement and gives the %s away instead of gaining them.

The most frustrating part of it is that we have very good players.
    If we put KW in charge of Dublin they wouldn't be an arses roar away from a two in a row never mind four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭Robson99

Does anyone know what our game plan is..... just looks left to right ... right to left..,long ball inside and turned over. Zero imagination or balls

Advertisement