Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It'd be phenomenal after all this crap, if we ended up Anthony Daly, who was the best realistic candidate from the beginning. Just hoping he is genuinely interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It'd be phenomenal after all this crap, if we ended up Anthony Daly, who was the best realistic candidate from the beginning. Just hoping he is genuinely interested

I think he'd be a super appointment myself

The guy just oozes hurling passion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

Daly wouldn't be the worst appointment in fairness. Mulqueen, due to his more recent exposure to the local scene, may be better again. Ciaran Carey? No thanks, I don't think he has the necessary big time managerial experience yet, be too risky.

Anyway.

Sunday sees for me the biggest day in the domestic calendar, with the double-header in Athenry. These games last year were belters, with Mellows just edging Cappy with late, late scores. Cappy's run this year has been impressive, with good recent wins over Clarinbridge and Loughrea. It's not necessarily now-or-never for them because they're not that old a team but maybe now is as good a time as any to push for a maiden final appearance and I think they have the momentum to get there. Turlough' v Thomases should also be a cracker, and maybe for the former it is more a case of now-or-never. They've been bubbling under for a few seasons now but it's strange given the talent in their ranks that they haven't been to a semi' in a while (paperwork shenanigans notwithstanding). Toms are battle-hardened but maybe also battle-weary and it took them all their time to overcome a fairly modest Larkins side last time out. A rest for their county players might be for the best for the county team. A novel final of Turlough' v Cappy awaits I predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

MfMan wrote: »

Sunday sees for me the biggest day in the domestic calendar, with the double-header in Athenry.

You can say that again, Athenry will be absolutely rocking!

cannot wait

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Hulk Hands wrote: »

It's strange how some rate Daly so much higher than Davy Fitz.

When Davy Fitz has achieved so much more as a manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    It's strange how some rate Daly so much higher than Davy Fitz.

When Davy Fitz has achieved so much more as a manager.

I honestly dont think Davys style would have suited an established side like Galways. Dalo would certainly be a better fit IMO.
    But I thought that about Loughnane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Davys Fits wrote: »
    I honestly dont think Davys style would have suited an established side like Galways. Dalo would certainly be a better fit IMO.

Ciaran Carey would have Galway expressing themselves. He coaches a great style of hurling and would be very shrewd. Hes a real working class Limerick man..so expect many limerickisms such as Tackies for running shoes and hes gonna be lethal for guys who arent performing. As hed say himself 'That Kid is Toaast'

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Davys Fits wrote: »

Why is he a better style?

Are they both not fond of the sweeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Figerty

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Why is he a better style?

Are they both not fond of the sweeper?

Daly created the sweeper system Clare v KK in a drawn match s few years ago.
    Daly won a league with Dublin and a Leinster Champ as a breakthrough. What he hasn't done is put two season back to back....like Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Athenry packed to the rafters.people getting it hard to get in.
    The county board,”attendance was low.only 900.the cold weather didn’t suit the supporters”
    😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Athenry packed to the rafters.people getting it hard to get in.
    The county board,”attendance was low.only 900.the cold weather didn’t suit the supporters”
    ��

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Turlough were shocking. Never got going really. Tom's will be hard stopped.

Haran not getting a chance in the Galway starting side behind lads like Flynn and Conor Cooney last year remains min-boggling. Was outstanding in play and even better from placed ball.

Mulqueen is last man standing for the hurling job according to the wireless and will be in after club wrapped up.
    Also interesting article on gbfm website about county board and missing funds.it ties in nicely with the gutless waffle prime time produced last week.
    It almost lends structure to that sh1te prime time produced.interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

A disappointing display from a rather disjointed Turlough' team who seemed to find the occasion get the better of them; Toms clearly benefited from experience of playing at this level over the past few years. Pity though Turlough' didn't convert the penalty (why didn't Jamie Holland take it?) and will rue a lot of missed chances; a cast-iron freetaker was badly needed, something the other 3 clubs had. Young Flannery for Toms could be a good 'un.

The opening game was a superior affair with some excellent hurling and played in a good spirit. I'd make Mellows slight favourites for the final as this was perhaps their most impressive display of the season against really good opponents. Tadhg Haran is capable of scoring from anywhere within 100 metres, an effort from play way out on the sideline in the second half was quite phenomenal, and must be in the reckoning for any new manager, especially if it's Mulqueen. (Ciaran Carey was in attendance apparently also). Both Cappy Mannions have also to be seriously looked at by any county manager; Donal for me was MOTM and, although their smaller stature means they can struggle to win primary ball, once they have it in hand they're nearly unstoppable. Both scored 3/4 from play I think.

In football, Barna defeated Killererin in the play-off to send the latter into the Intermediates ranks for the first time since the late 60s. End of a great Senior era for them for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Turlough were shocking. Never got going really. Tom's will be hard stopped.

Haran not getting a chance in the Galway starting side behind lads like Flynn and Conor Cooney last year remains min-boggling. Was outstanding in play and even better from placed ball.

Especially considering the free taking difficulties in Cannings absence last season. Reliable free taker alone would have been enough for Galway to get out of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

Not sure there has bring too many better club hurlers in Galway then haran last 3 seasons . Hard to believe he got no game time . IMO a much better hurler then Niall Burke Flynn and most def Glennon or concannon. I’m sure he will get his chance under new manager

spurshero wrote: »
    Not sure there has bring too many better club hurlers in Galway then haran last 3 seasons . Hard to believe he got no game time . IMO a much better hurler then Niall Burke Flynn and most def Glennon or concannon. I’m sure he will get his chance under new manager

Dont be so sure. If Mulqueen does get the job, be prepared for a sanctimonious school teacher type. A mammys boy type of the highest order and a member of the Fitzgerald faction in the terrible schism that's open ing up in Clare. So be aware that theres a whole load of baggage coming your way in Galway...to add to the not insubstantial amount that's there already

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Dont be so sure. If Mulqueen does get the job, be prepared for a sanctimonious school teacher type. A mammys boy type of the highest order and a member of the Fitzgerald faction in the terrible schism that's open ing up in Clare. So be aware that theres a whole load of baggage coming your way in Galway...to add to the not insubstantial amount that's there already
    Mulqueen has managed haran for the last 3 years at Liam mellows what are you raving about . 3 county finals in a row for a club that hadn’t being in one for over 40 years . Probaly not getting the credit they deserve in fairness . Galway could do a lot worse then Mulqueen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

spurshero wrote: »
    Mulqueen has managed haran for the last 3 years at Liam mellows what are you raving about . 3 county finals in a row for a club that hadn’t being in one for over 40 years . Probaly not getting the credit they deserve in fairness . Galway could do a lot worse then Mulqueen imo

Clare could have as well but they are too stubborn to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Any chance Ciaran Carey would bring the nephew in with him? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/shane-oneill-in-contention-for-galway-hurling-job/

Come December we'll be able to make an advent calendar out of it with a new name being linked with the job every day, manager to be announced on the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A Shortlist of three has been named for the position of Galway Under 20 Football manager following the deadline that passed yesterday. The position becoming available following the decision by Padraic Joyce to take charge of the Senior Footballers.

The three in the running are current Galway Minor football manager Donal O'Fatharta of An Spideal, former Galway minor football manager Stephen Joyce of An Fhairce and Mick Culhane of Salthill/Knocknacarra who was a selector this year with the U20's under Joyce.

It is now expected that all three will be interviewed shortly for the position and a recommendation sent to the county board in due course. Galway begins their defense of the Connacht Under 20 Football title away to Mayo with the winner playing Leitrim in the Connacht Semi-Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We don't have a great record with outside managers but seemingly no local wants the job under current conditions so it's beyond time that someone gets in place asap. Most intercounty squads will begin meeting up over the next few weeks and we're already well behind them preparation wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Are you sure Carey would take the Job? He seems pretty steeped in Limerick and could have just been in Galway to suss out potential AI semi final opponents as Patrickswell would be pretty strong favs to win Munster imo

Are you sure Carey would take the Job? He seems pretty steeped in Limerick and could have just been in Galway to suss out potential AI semi final opponents as Patrickswell would be pretty strong favs to win Munster imo

Of course Carey would take it. Hes steeped in Limerick but hes no fool. Theres no big job in Limerick for him right now. Patrickswell wouldnt be favourites to win Munster. Theres nothing between them,Sixmilebridge, Glen Rovers or the 2 Tipperary teams. Ballygunnar would be the best of them

Good luck to the Tuam stars today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭kala85

When has the galway hurling manager job to be announced by.

Is there another county board meeting coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Good luck to the Tuam stars today

That is one result I'll be anxiously awaiting.Hopefully it will be a cracker.

Such a shame it's not being televised even if the reasons are understandable.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    That is one result I'll be anxiously awaiting.Hopefully it will be a cracker.

Such a shame it's not being televised even if the reasons are understandable.

What are the reasons

Advertisement