Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

• 19-09-2018 8:57am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Previous thread continued from here
    Generally there's not much trouble but I'll put the generic mod warning in anyway:
    No personal abuse of players, managers (including opposition ones) and posters.
    No speculation into the personal lives of players.
    No trolling. Non-Galway posters are welcome to participate but any winding up will be treated harshly.
    Report any posts that cross the line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

First post should always be a comical one.

Mayo for Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Sure what’s a GAA Thread without a bit of winding up.
    Club Fixtures coming hot and fast now.
    It looks like Portumna won’t qualify out of group?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Could someone put up a summary of how the groups stand now for the hurling championship - I forgot to get the Examiner Monday and the fecking Independent was useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Could someone put up a summary of how the groups stand now for the hurling championship - I forgot to get the Examiner Monday and the fecking Independent was useless.

http://galwaygaa.ie/senior-hurling-qualifiers-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Mr Velo wrote: »

what's the format then in the knockout stages? how many teams from A and B get through?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Top 2 in both senior A groups straight through to quarters

3rd and 4th in both groups go into preliminary quarter vs top 2 in both Senior B groups

5th and 6th in both groups go into relegation playoff with 2 dropping to Senior B next year, and the top team in both Senior B groups promoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Noel Lane to link up the senior hurlers management team next year??

Any substance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

jr86 wrote: »
    Top 2 in both senior A groups straight through to quarters

3rd and 4th in both groups go into preliminary quarter vs top 2 in both Senior B groups

5th and 6th in both groups go into relegation playoff with 2 dropping to Senior B next year, and the top team in both Senior B groups promoted

thanks Jr.
    I knew it was something like that but wasn't certain.

Senior B really is glorified intermediate so. you could top your group after winning 5 "senior" matches and still you aren't guaranteed a quarter final spot.

I know i bang on about this a lot but there are 24 "senior clubs" in galway.
    8 too many in my opinion. Whole system needs a massive overhaul and call senior B what it is....intermediate. in my opinion the ideal would 16 senior teams 16 intermediate teams.

what do others think??

fearruanua wrote: »
    thanks Jr.
    I knew it was something like that but wasn't certain.

Senior B really is glorified intermediate so. you could top your group after winning 5 "senior" matches and still you aren't guaranteed a quarter final spot.

I know i bang on about this a lot but there are 24 "senior clubs" in galway.
    8 too many in my opinion. Whole system needs a massive overhaul and call senior B what it is....intermediate. in my opinion the ideal would 16 senior teams 16 intermediate teams.

what do others think??

Fully agree

They've changed Dublin football to 16 teams in senior A and 16 in Senior B (basically intermediate) and its working very well.

Call the second division Senior B or intermediate - whatever - but either way I think senior (A) with 4 groups of 4 and 16 teams in total is the ideal format for both Galway hurling and football championships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Army retired again. Much more influential second time around as a wise old head. Hope he enjoys retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Heard there is a financial scandal set to break in Galway GAA - any truth to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Heard there is a financial scandal set to break in Galway GAA - any truth to it?

If it was done in every county I think the same scandal would be in the news. Trying to get money collected at the gate of games into the coffers of the county board seems to very difficult in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Army retired again. Much more influential second time around as a wise old head. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Quality player. Was a bit unlucky the first time around as he ended up playing on a very poor Galway team. A few years ago, I suggested on here he would be worth bringing back into the panel and was slated for it. But I've seen him play so well so many times for Salthill, I thought he could offer something and he did. I'd have been inclined to try convince him for 1 more year. However, it may have been 1 year too much. I think he can leave this time knowing he has given it everything which I suspect admit the case the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Quality player. Was a bit unlucky the first time around as he ended up playing on a very poor Galway team. A few years ago, I suggested on here he would be worth bringing back into the panel and was slated for it. But I've seen him play so well so many times for Salthill, I thought he could offer something and he did. I'd have been inclined to try convince him for 1 more year. However, it may have been 1 year too much. I think he can leave this time knowing he has given it everything which I suspect admit the case the last time.

As you said he played in a period where Galway were quite poor. Will always wonder though if he could of stayed more injury free along with Mike Meehan could things of been better. Never forget that game against Down when the two lads went to town on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

would love to seen him give it one more year. thought he was the perfect kind of player to bring on with 20 to go. could read a game very well and play the perfect pass . could kick a nice score or two as well , personally wouldnt have started him v dublin as at this stage of career he was better at finishing then starting games ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

spurshero wrote: »
    would love to seen him give it one more year. thought he was the perfect kind of player to bring on with 20 to go. could read a game very well and play the perfect pass . could kick a nice score or two as well , personally wouldnt have started him v dublin as at this stage of career he was better at finishing then starting games ,

Have to agree. Better as an impact sub

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

In an ideal world he'd be able to stick around for a bit longer but if he isn't sure his body is up to it then he is a lot better off calling it a day instead of taking an unnecessary risk. A great player when he was fit to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Any idea when, or if, we'll see the report from this audit of the County Board?

I've heard (unrepeatable) rumours about the carry on of people related to the board for years and I'm hoping we'll see what's fact and what's fiction driven by sour grapes soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

grbear wrote: »
    Any idea when, or if, we'll see the report from this audit of the County Board?

I've heard (unrepeatable) rumours about the carry on of people related to the board for years and I'm hoping we'll see what's fact and what's fiction driven by sour grapes soon enough.
    Fairly strong rumours there’s gonna be Garda involvement .

John Hynes has stepped away just before release - stating 'personal reasons.'

The audit will be presented to delegates at the next county board meeting, possibly within two weeks.

• Advertisement

Central Council are flexing. Galway have a €3.1m loan after the purchase of Mountain South. Bought for €2.5m in 2008 and available now for €750,000.

The audit has shown up significant "errors".

I'd say lads were hoping the Ed Sheerhan concerts would cover up everything. And they will. There will be a healthy balance due to those concerts. But, money, lumps and lumps of money, are going walkies... around roundabouts and turning back up again or else getting lost entirely...

Are the Galway Races still popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Senior football championship down to the quarter final stage

SFC Quarter finals

Annaghdown v St James
    Mountbellew-Moylough v Moycullen
    Corofin v Caherlistrane
    Milltown v Salthill Knocknacarra

And Intermediate football championship down to the semis

Headford v An Spideal
    Oileain Arann v Michael Breathnach

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭threeball

There won't be much love loss in Corofin v Caherlistrane. There'll be an edge to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

threeball wrote: »
    There won't be much love loss in Corofin v Caherlistrane. There'll be an edge to that one.

Local derby which will definitely have an edge to it but also an inevitable result.

Caherlistrane will probably do well to keep it to single figures I'm afraid

James's v Annaghdown could be a close one, especially if Duane is back. It might suit this Moycullen team to be underdogs but they're really flattering to deceive this season. Salthill/Milltown is a pick em, only just about got over Tuam yesterday

3 teams to be put out of their misery - not before time, I'll go with Litir Mor, Caltra, and Kilconly to face the drop

Think it'll be Spiddal/MB in intermediate, though the Islands will fancy their chances

Caherlistrane will probably do well to keep it to single figures I'm afraid

James's v Annaghdown could be a close one, especially if Duane is back. It might suit this Moycullen team to be underdogs but they're really flattering to deceive this season. Salthill/Milltown is a pick em, only just about got over Tuam yesterday

3 teams to be put out of their misery - not before time, I'll go with Litir Mor, Caltra, and Kilconly to face the drop

Think it'll be Spiddal/MB in intermediate, though the Islands will fancy their chances

Annaghdown, Mountbellew, Corofin, Milltown to progress.

I think Caherlistrane might run Corofin a bit closer than people think. They gave Mountbellew a decent match and are a very big powerful team around the middle which Corofin could potentially find hard to deal with.

I'll go for Leitir Mor, Caltra & Cortoon to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

What dates are the football quarter finals down for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

h2005 wrote: »
    What dates are the football quarter finals down for?

Two this coming weekend and the other two the following weekend.

You sure? None fixed this weekend on GalwayGAA

Its a full hurling round of fixtures this week, so don't know how they'd fit in 2 quarters.

Moycullen and Annaghdown will be hugely affected by hurling, but would also have thought James's, Salthill, and Mountbellew would all be affected in some way even if its only a player or two each

• Advertisement

You sure? None fixed this weekend on GalwayGAA

Its a full hurling round of fixtures this week, so don't know how they'd fit in 2 quarters.

Moycullen and Annaghdown will be hugely affected by hurling, but would also have thought James's, Salthill, and Mountbellew would all be affected in some way even if its only a player or two each

They are on the weekend of 6th / 7th from what I heard.

Advertisement