Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski season 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Sorry just read you'll be going it alone and not booking with a group.

A lot of resorts run 'off piste' mornings, and are very cheap to join in. They're short and will keep you within the resort boundaries but might be a good start for you. Contact the tourist board to see if it's on their schedule.

Alternatively, a lot of the guiding companies have Open Group options too but I know this can be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The ski routes sound good. I presume they're marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Lads, any idea how much it is to join an off piste boarding group with guide for a day in St Anton?

I go off piste at the side of groomed runs when I can and did a lot of runs through the trees between pistes in Sauze last year. I reckon I'm ready to take the next step and do some proper off piste runs with a guide who knows where they're going.

The group I'm going with tend to stick to the pistes so hiring our own guide isn't really an option.

How many seasons skiing have you done....? I've 16 x one week trips done at this stage and can descend any marked piste from blue to black but any time that I've ventured into serious off piste areas with a guide I found it way too difficult dealing with knee deep snow to lightly crusted snow that you don't know will take your weight and then how deep it is also the constant watching out for rocks etc adds another dimension to it.....need to be very fit also as it really takes its toll on the legs/tighs....maybe I'm just too old and unfit and need to work on my technique......we (group of 4) paid €60 each for an afternoon of off piste with a guide in meribel 3 years ago. Haven't done it since

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I've done a week boarding each year since 2010. I'd have done a lot of weekend trips before that when I was living in the US.

Maybe I'll give it a miss and just stick to the ski routes. Hopefully we'll get some decent snowfalls the week I'm there.

All info appreciated lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I've done a week boarding each year since 2010. I'd have done a lot of weekend trips before that when I was living in the US.

Maybe I'll give it a miss and just stick to the ski routes. Hopefully we'll get some decent snowfalls the week I'm there.

All info appreciated lads.

Wasn't sure were u a skier r boarder. Boarding off piste is a different story......,,Don't think its as difficult as skiing off piste.......my description was based on skiing off piste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

The ski routes sound good. I presume they're marked?

They are, yes, not sure if they're marked in the same way as regular pistes though. I only recall seeing one marker at each 100m interval ( instead of two, enclosing the route) , I could easily be wrong though, as I was veering well away from them.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Wasn't sure were u a skier r boarder. Boarding off piste is a different story......,,Don't think its as difficult as skiing off piste.......my description was based on skiing off piste.

I've never skiied so I can't compare them, snowboarding off piste can be challenging, you have to keep your weight over your back foot (so the nose doesn't go under), so your leg is bent constantly, that can become very painful. Also if you come to a stop in deep powder it can be a nightmare getting moving again. Turns etc. have to be a lot wider as well. So it's a different kettle of fish. However, if you're moving at a nice place, over a field of fresh snow there's nothing nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Piste to powder do off piste guiding on the basis of different levels, you can just join one of their groups. 100E per day.

Fattes used to mention a 10E a day powder club but cheap and anton aren't good mixers these days so not sure if that still running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Cormees app on the phone homepage!
    dark at tea time and clocks back in a couple of weeks.
    Ski gear in the shops and loads of emails advertising ski holidays.
    the season is almost on us :-)
    44 days to go!

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Cormees app on the phone homepage!
    dark at tea time and clocks back in a couple of weeks.
    Ski gear in the shops and loads of emails advertising ski holidays.
    the season is almost on us :-)
    44 days to go!

Did you add a webcam image? I always wonder how many people use that functionality, as opposed to regular photos.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what sets it apart, although it's very sunny on the webcams at present!
    got a day off and checked out Go Outdoors, it's up in belfast, had a decent bit of ski gear, picked up a good pair of salopettes so that was a buzz lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mulbot

Hey people-just a quick question if anyone could help. Heading to La Plagne in January,have holiday booked with Crystal(i will get in contact),it's just one of the group has his own board which wasn't booked in at time of booking-can this be added on now,or if he gets his gear and clothes into the board bag and it's under 20kg can he bring that as his luggage? Cheers

mulbot wrote: »
    Hey people-just a quick question if anyone could help. Heading to La Plagne in January,have holiday booked with Crystal(i will get in contact),it's just one of the group has his own board which wasn't booked in at time of booking-can this be added on now,or if he gets his gear and clothes into the board bag and it's under 20kg can he bring that as his luggage? Cheers

Think it's 40e each way but may depend on destination. Crystal will add this the package no problem, just give them a buzz.

It's completely separate from your standard luggage, so can't bring it as a replacement for his normal luggage, it's checked in at a different area as Sports Equipment. I still pack most of my ski gear in the board bag though, adds additional padding :pac:

Schnee, schnee schnee schnee schnee schnee schnee, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

a148pro wrote: »
    Piste to powder do off piste guiding on the basis of different levels, you can just join one of their groups. 100E per day.

Fattes used to mention a 10E a day powder club but cheap and anton aren't good mixers these days so not sure if that still running

It's still going but it's €100 not €10. Not sure if they cater for boarders though?

Buckets of snow in italy and austria. A meter already and more to come. Hopefully a good start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

hoping the recent snow in France, is going to be the base for a good season.

Great to see brown on webcams then all white next day.

Rational head says there will be a warm spell before winter really arrives.

kal7 wrote: »
    Rational head says there will be a warm spell before winter really arrives.

Same happened last year I think, it was pretty much gone by mid-Dec then a pretty poor Jan. But.... I hope this year will be different, haven't had a decent snow season in 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Snow, snow, snow.

The resorts in alps must be delighted, a base for season and snow for christmas and early skiers.

I am so addicted, even after 24 weeks skiing, over 28 years, I am looking at snow reports and webcams every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

This thread has been strangely quiet I think over the last few weeks. Thought there'd be one or two December / New Year skiers who'd want to rub it in to the rest of us.

I'm going in January and I've a feeling it's going to be cold. Last year I was praising technology for keeping me warm in snow. Sweaty even! But thinking back, I think I saw 17 degrees on a thermometer on the mountain one day and I was in a base layer, ski gloves, ski jacket and pants and an insulated helmet and exercising. If I was exercising in Ireland in that temperature I'd have been in shorts and a tee shirt! But I'm looking at my on the snow app and the temp on the mountain has been between -6 and -12 for the last month or so. I'm mentally preparing for those temperatures. And thinking I might pick up some tights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I'm heading off on the 23rd for two weeks! I've avoided snow reports until recently after the last few years of disappointing early season snow. The snow is looking great for this Christmas so I'm looking forward to it, couple of weeks of off-piste booked so I expect to be neck deep in powder :)

I reckon all the resorts must be breathing a sigh of relief this year after a few tough early seasons in a row.

blue note wrote: »
    This thread has been strangely quiet I think over the last few weeks. Thought there'd be one or two December / New Year skiers who'd want to rub it in to the rest of us.

I was also wondering had some hardy souls put in a few turns in Ireland and expected some updates?

Dora I'm sick, for years I've thought of nipping off pre Christmas, get away from the panic, get a few cheap quiet turns in, and this year the best I've seen it in ages but can't get out, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

8 of us heading to Austria on the 6th of January. 6 Dubs and 2 lads from Belfast we met last year are meeting us there. Plenty of snow can't wait to get back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I was also wondering had some hardy souls put in a few turns in Ireland and expected some updates?

Dora I'm sick, for years I've thought of nipping off pre Christmas, get away from the panic, get a few cheap quiet turns in, and this year the best I've seen it in ages but can't get out, enjoy

Went for a run/hike up ballinastoe then onto djouce mountain on Monday, was epic up the top, 2 foot in places. Frustratingly I left it till 3pm to go up, and was a blizzard up the top ha, so decided not to hang about. Would have been epic to have a pair of skis with me tho, sprinting down it was still good craic, head over heals into snow drifts every 10 metres ha. Mean to make it back but been busy, I think there is still a decent bit of snow up there.

I know that route - a superb run with views over guinness lake - roads were ok out to ballinastoe car park? Had to abandon a car previously near chrone woods, but was worth it as snow was superb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I know that route - a superb run with views over guinness lake - roads were ok out to ballinastoe car park? Had to abandon a car previously near chrone woods, but was worth it as snow was superb

I was on the roundwood to kilmac road, and turned up by djouce golf course straight up to ballinastoe car park, that road was grand, decided to see what djouce woods was like, road up to it was dodgy out, especially in the car ha, single track in the snow, when you met a car the other way yas both had to pull in but keep going for fear you'd stop and get stuck.

Anyways anyone been up there in the last day or so, what's the top of djouce like, melting yet or still worth the trip up?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Definitely the best I've seen for a while. To be fair I stuck it out on the icy crap the last 3 years so I deserve one good one!

25323378_725219177682599_749664056_n.jpg?oh=aa35dc345e785c66d83781912395bd0b&oe=5A360B4C

Not sure if that works?
    1st turns in Les Gets :)
    Absolutely spewing it down here in Portes Du Soleil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

willah wrote: »
    8 of us heading to Austria on the 6th of January. 6 Dubs and 2 lads from Belfast we met last year are meeting us there. Plenty of snow can't wait to get back out.
    Which resort we are heading that day as well

• Advertisement

Instaban for hawkwind, absolutely unacceptable behaviour

Advertisement