Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oberstdorf Germany

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Grand so... I'll drop you a PM couple of days beforehand... I suppose the Irish bar is the one with the guinness sign outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

yeah, its here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Oststrasse+1&sll=47.405989,10.283225&sspn=0.007043,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Oststra%C3%9Fe+1,+87561+Oberstdorf,+Oberallg%C3%A4u,+Bavaria,+Germany&ll=47.407906,10.279427&spn=0.007043,0.01929&z=16

If you were standing facing the front door of the Train station, turn to your right.
    Head up that street, take the 3rd left and then walk straight. You should see the Irish pub while walking up that street.
    Its called O'Reilly's. Its kind of on the corner but its downstairs. As in, basement level.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

http://www.irishpub-oberstdorf.de/index.php?leng=en#
    O’Reilly’s Irish Pub is a pub which has been decorated and run in Irish tradition. It has been existing since 1996. A diversified assortment of Irish and German beer, e.g. Guinnes, Kilkenny Becks, Löwenbräu, Franzikaner is typical for us. Furthermore we offer a wide range of different whiskeys

a nice spot with friendly locals, decent Guinness, generous shots & the few times I was there were still serving whatever I left, oh & smoking is allowed.

I haven't really gone drinking anywhere else, without having either lunch or dinner so cant compare it to other pub's (any recommendations?), but the place on the main street with the tented beer garden looks a bit "crazy" & I was told that there is a good club in Oberstdorfhaus.

it's still nearly 4 months 'til my holiday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

a nice spot with friendly locals, decent Guinness, generous shots & the few times I was there were still serving whatever I left, oh & smoking is allowed.

I haven't really gone drinking anywhere else, without having either lunch or dinner so cant compare it to other pub's (any recommendations?), but the place on the main street with the tented beer garden looks a bit "crazy" & I was told that there is a good club in Oberstdorfhaus.

One thing to add if you want a pint of Guinness don'y just ask for a Guinness, you must ask for a PINT or else you will get a 700ml glass :confused::confused::confused:

One thing to add if you want a pint of Guinness don'y just ask for a Guinness, you must ask for a PINT or else you will get a 700ml glass :confused::confused::confused:

500ml, a pint is 568ml

• Advertisement

Ah you must be talking about the Hoerbar? It is Brilliant!! The first time we were there, there were a couple of Berlin DJs playing and my god they were AWESOME!!!

I think that tented place you are talking about is WienerWald? A few of my mates were in there and had good craic. I haven't been in there myself.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    500ml, a pint is 568ml

:o sorry I meant 400ml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Will be going to meet up with Mr Shay ;)
    See ya on the slopes and in the bars! :)

Is there much in the way of off-piste stuff in between the groomed pistes?

Not looking for big rocky cliffs but a few nice runs through the trees would be nice. When I was in Jasna in slovakia, it was very accessible from the chair lifts and im hoping it will be the same here...

There is a good bit of info on page one about the 3 areas....

Have not gone off piste much, but I would reckon that the Nebelhorn would be the best of the 3 areas, there is a picture of the bowl on page 1 of this thread, The best opportunity for some challenging runs would be between the "middlestation" and the "seaalpe" , run number 6, the treeline starts here.
    At the seaalpe you can only take run 7, which goes through the woods into the village. During that run there are spots where skiers off shoot, but I have never so cannot advise you there. You have to unclip your skies and walk back to the cable-car station.The problem is that this covers most of the mountain and I think an experienced skier would have enough of here in 2 days.

The sollereck is set on a woodland "hill" so there may be some runs there.

I have not skied all the way down to the base of the Fellhorn so cannot say there either regarding tree lined off piste runs. Although up on the Fellhorn there are plenty of off piste opportunities between the pistes.

• Advertisement

I can't comment on off-piste either. sorry :(

Just booked 26th - 29th of december for me and the GF and 1 bag for 300 return to Munich with Aerlingus. She only allows me 2 trips to the white stuff so I managed to convince her of a sneaky few days extra away before the new year :D

I'm on the DB Bahn website but it looks a little pricey. 128 return for the both of us. :O

Just wondering if its better to book on the day when we get there?
    Flight gets in at 10.05am, what about a coach? Train is going to take about 3 hours anyway.

Any help appreciated :)

There is already a link to this on the thread http://www.inside-munich.com/bayernticket.html

€28 euro each way for the group ticket (up to 5 adults)
    Do not buy a return, sometimes you can "share" a group ticket for the way home, ask on the platform before you get the train, if there is no-one buy a ticket at the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

Heading off on Saturday, can't wait. There seems to be enough snow there now, and Saturday is the season opening bash! :D

There is already a link to this on the thread http://www.inside-munich.com/bayernticket.html

€28 euro each way for the group ticket (up to 5 adults)
    Do not buy a return, sometimes you can "share" a group ticket for the way home, ask on the platform before you get the train, if there is no-one buy a ticket at the machine.

Sorry mate, I went through it and must have missed it. Thanks again for the info.

donnchadhc wrote: »
    Heading off on Saturday, can't wait. There seems to be enough snow there now, and Saturday is the season opening bash! :D

Can't wait either...let us know what the conditions are like... ;)

Managed to get this place for 26th-29th december (3 Nights) for €150 for the 2 of us. Apparently its opposite the lifts to the nebelhorn. Can anybody who's been out this way comment on this place? How do I get here from Oberstdorf train station?

do you know the name of the guest house?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Can anyone who booked through the oberstdorf website (Accommodation + Ski Passes) tell me if they charge the total cost on the CC immediately or is it is just a deposit and the rest is plaid on arrival?

Also, we checked in some bags on our flights to Memmingen w/ Ryanair. Will we have enough time to make the train station at 1.15 if the flight gets in at around 12.30?

I've never paid for everything upfront.
    Last year I paid half upfront and half on departure.
    The year before, I don't think I put down a deposit at all. I just paid for it all on departure.

As for memmingem and ryanair. I've no idea.

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    do you know the name of the guest house?

Its called pension Blattner. The guy who put me onto it said its right opposite the ski lifts for Nebelhorn... just wondering how to get there from the station and what its like... Its supposed to be basic enough, no toilet or shower in the room, but I've stayed in this kind of pension before and they have always been nice. Hoping my gf doesnt lose it when we get there :P

I can't find it. Do you have an address for the place?

Can anyone who booked through the oberstdorf website (Accommodatiob + Ski Passes) tell me if they charge the total cost on the CC immediately or is it is just a deposit and the rest is plaid on arrival?

We booked for this weekend and nothing has gone on the CC. I'm assuming we'll pay when we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Cheers.

Are you going through Memmingen too? I'm not sure whether we'll have time to make the train. The train station is 4km from the airport. If we miss it, the next one isn't for 3 hrs or so.

Managed to get this place for 26th-29th december (3 Nights) for €150 for the 2 of us. Apparently its opposite the lifts to the nebelhorn. Can anybody who's been out this way comment on this place? How do I get here from Oberstdorf train station?

Did the €150 include the lift pass ?

Its not opposite the lift. I think this place is about 3mins walk from the nebelhorn lifts (nebelhornbahn) its under 15mins walk from the train station but the best thing is to take one of the town busses from outside the tourist office (its beside the train station) the bus will bring you to the nebelhornbahn and ask from there.

This is the first year Ryanair are flyng into Memmingem... ye are the guinea-pigs :D

Cheers.

Are you going through Memmingen too? I'm not sure whether we'll have time to make the train. The train station is 4km from the airport. If we miss it, the next one isn't for 3 hrs or so.

Not too sure about the train, we're just gonna get the next one which is at 14:43.

Did the €150 include the lift pass ?

Its not opposite the lift. I think this place is about 3mins walk from the nebelhorn lifts (nebelhornbahn) its under 15mins walk from the train station but the best thing is to take one of the town busses from outside the tourist office (its beside the train station) the bus will bring you to the nebelhornbahn and ask from there.

This is the first year Ryanair are flyng into Memmingem... ye are the guinea-pigs :D

No it doesn't include the lift pass, but 3 nights from the 26th of december is hard to find, and this was the only thing i could find! I'm flying into Munich not memmingen, so hoping it won't be too hard to make my way down...

You can train it straight from the airport. www.bahn.de , great website.

The snow still hasn't arrived and I'm heading over on the 12th for a weekend :eek: Loads of snow last week according to the webcams, but we have a week of unseasonably warm weather this week. I'm prayong for a big dump in the next three weeks!!!!!

The snow has arrived now !!!!!! http://www.nebelhorn.de/index.shtml?webcams&vid=0&val=11TeOqtYV3aK

Hope you have a great time.

• Advertisement

You can train it straight from the airport. www.bahn.de , great website.

Do you not have to change in Munchen Pasing?

Advertisement