Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parents don't ever give me gifts. Adult children

Options
  • 18-11-2019 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My parents are both aged, but my step-dad is still at his home and I spend a lot of time running around after him, dealing with his affairs and visiting my mother at a nursing home too. We were estranged for many years as my mother was very abusive towards me, but I thought that was all behind us. In most ways it is.

Today, he told me there was to be no 'bloody gifts' as he couldn't be bothered to buy me something, and if I got him something he would have to. He's not on his uppers or anything - comfortably well off for a pensioner. I got myself a E4.99 bird house for my birthday and he paid for it two years ago. Otherwise, no cards, no nothing. I do gift - a sweater or something to him.

He's actually not given me a gift or much of a thank you for anything. Is this acceptable. I find if very rejecting to open up the house to him at Christmas and spoil him, and be told I'm not worth a box of chocs from Lidl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

"That's ok because as it happens I probably won't see you over Christmas as we're doing our own thing anyway....."

Sounds toxic to me and I don't think he's deserving of your love, care or attention so why would you bother? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 loughlinfox

Well, I don't want to surrender to that..... but sometimes, yes, it does feel like being short changed to say the least. I actually want a 'woke' Christmas of less excess and we do, do that, but I'm actually having three dinners.... one for my mother with dementia, one for my Dad and one for the my little family of three - I think that's worth a petrol station bunch of flowers. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

I’d still get him something, it’s Christmas and sounds like it’ll be the only gift he’ll get.

Advertisement