Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

As you said he played in a period where Galway were quite poor. Will always wonder though if he could of stayed more injury free along with Mike Meehan could things of been better. Never forget that game against Down when the two lads went to town on them.

Both were a bit unlucky that they played most of their senior Galway career on poor Galway teams and when Galway football was at a low ebb. Meehan in particular was very unlucky with timing and injuries as on his day he was up there with the best forwards of the last 20 years. Together at underage they were unmarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Mullagh and portumna from group b and Craughwell and killnadeema from group a the bottom teams.
    I presume teams can’t play each other from same group losers go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Its Portumna v Craughwell and KL v Mullagh and the losers go down to Senior B. Turlough and TAD gone up to senior A next year

Its been a remarkable fall for Craughwell this year, after making the last 4 semis in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Is it tonight the results of the audit are going to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

grbear wrote:
    Is it tonight the results of the audit are going to come out?

Information is been given to club delegates tonight. A portion of this is with the Gardai so I'm not sure can that information be given out if it's a criminal investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Information is been given to club delegates tonight. A portion of this is with the Gardai so I'm not sure can that information be given out if it's a criminal investigation?

No media allowed into the meeting either according to one of the Tuam Herald reporters on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Only 80k from the two Ed Sheeran concerts. Pairc UI Caoimh made approx 1 mil from 3 concerts. I think it's safe to assume where most of the money went. Perhaps it was the apple to tip the cart. Although reporting 18k at Galway Kilkenny the following week when Pearse stadium has never been as full was an amusing one also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Only 80k from the two Ed Sheeran concerts. Pairc UI Caoimh made approx 1 mil from 3 concerts. I think it's safe to assume where most of the money went. Perhaps it was the apple to tip the cart. Although reporting 18k at Galway Kilkenny the following week when Pearse stadium has never been as full was an amusing one also

Sticky fingers in the leather satchel again.

Between the rumours of dodginess and the confirmed ineptitude Galway County Board are doing a great job of driving away potential sponsors/donors.

Must be infuriating for people like the committee raising money to develop Tuam Stadium for stories like this to come out just as they are launching another fundraising draw.

grbear wrote: »
    Between the rumours of dodginess and the confirmed ineptitude Galway County Board are doing a great job of driving away potential sponsors/donors.

Must be infuriating for people like the committee raising money to develop Tuam Stadium for stories like this to come out just as they are launching another fundraising draw.

It's well publicised that this is a local group trying to update their local ground with little to no financial help from the county board, that might work in their favour in this case as potential sponsors or investors might prefer to support their cause rather than get involved in the latest drama to hit the GAA in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

It's well publicised that this is a local group trying to update their local ground with little to no financial help from the county board, that might work in their favour in this case as potential sponsors or investors might prefer to support their cause rather than get involved in the latest drama to hit the GAA in Galway.

They're targeting to have next year's home league game V Kerry played in Tuam, the other 2 home ones will be in Galway. Hope it's a fine day!

On the playing front, football Senior quarter finals and Intermediate semi-finals go ahead this weekend. Corofin look bankers v Caherlistrane; Annaghdown, though having injury concerns of their own, should overcome St. James, probably without both Paul Conroy and Johnny Duane. Mountbellew, one of the form teams again this year, even at 8/15 look the bet of the weekend over an ordinary-performing Moycullen. Salthill V Milltown looks to be the closest match on paper; Milltown have also been in great form this season and are one of the top scoring sides so far, but they haven't as yet met a stern test like the seasiders. Even given their inconsistency and flakiness, I give the slight nod to Salthill here.

In the Intermediate, both games predicted to be close and hard-fought. Aran Islands play Breathnachs, I fancy the latter with a smidgin of more big-game experience to come through. An Spideal v Headford also hard to call, but An Spideal put up a big score v Menlough in the last round and look to be timing their run nicely. So, a Gaeltacht derby for the final I predict.

In the hurling prelims, Killimordaly should just have enough craft for Athenry while Clarinbridge, if the day is fine, probably have more skill and ability against a tough but lacking-in-finesse Pearses side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

MfMan wrote: »
    They're targeting to have next year's home league game V Kerry played in Tuam, the other 2 home ones will be in Galway. Hope it's a fine day!

On the playing front, football Senior quarter finals and Intermediate semi-finals go ahead this weekend. Corofin look bankers v Caherlistrane; Annaghdown, though having injury concerns of their own, should overcome St. James, probably without both Paul Conroy and Johnny Duane. Mountbellew, one of the form teams again this year, even at 8/15 look the bet of the weekend over an ordinary-performing Moycullen. Salthill V Milltown looks to be the closest match on paper; Milltown have also been in great form this season and are one of the top scoring sides so far, but they haven't as yet met a stern test like the seasiders. Even given their inconsistency and flakiness, I give the slight nod to Salthill here.

In the Intermediate, both games predicted to be close and hard-fought. Aran Islands play Breathnachs, I fancy the latter with a smidgin of more big-game experience to come through. An Spideal v Headford also hard to call, but An Spideal put up a big score v Menlough in the last round and look to be timing their run nicely. So, a Gaeltacht derby for the final I predict.

In the hurling prelims, Killimordaly should just have enough craft for Athenry while Clarinbridge, if the day is fine, probably have more skill and ability against a tough but lacking-in-finesse Pearses side.

Not sure about that. Annaghdown are better than anything Milltown faced but they beat Salthill well. Moycullen & Monivea are superior teams to Kilanin, Tuam & Barna who were in Salthill's group.

Hopefully that'll be the case as they are doing good work and there was talk after last weeks fundraising launch that they might have secured a reasonable investment from local business. It's tough for them because local clubs are also fundraising at the same time. Tuam Stars have done a lot of work on their facilities nover the past ten years.

I just meant it must be annoying for them (and anyone else raising funds for a GAA project in Galway) to be hearing these stories about the County board either mismanaging money or failing to maximize the potential of events like the Ed Sheeran concerts. I get that Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a different class of facility to Pearse Stadium but if Cork were able to get around €330,000 per concert then surely Galway should have been able to get at least €100,000? An extra €100,000 would have really boosted the Tuam project or gone a small way to help pay off that farm in Athenry.

MfMan wrote: »

I'd be amazed if Duane didn't play

Intermediate has been funny this year. Before the season I would have had MB, Oughterard, Oranmore and KC as the 'big 4' with maybe Menlough knocking on the door. Only one made the semis

MB/Spideal final I'd say but Aran will keep MB very honest
    Not sure about that. Annaghdown are better than anything Milltown faced but they beat Salthill well. Moycullen & Monivea are superior teams to Kilanin, Tuam & Barna who were in Salthill's group.

Think he meant Milltown haven't faced a team as good as Salthill.

I'd fancy the latter to sneak it myself, but its probably the hardest to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway SFC championship quarter-finals

Mountbellew/Moylough 1-13 Moycullen 1-12 AET
    Annaghdown 2-15 St James 2-9

Relegation playoffs

St Michael's 0-15 Kilconly 0-12
    An Cheathru Rua 1-11 Tuam Stars 0-12

Galway SFC championship quarter-finals

Mountbellew/Moylough 1-13 Moycullen 1-12 AET
    Annaghdown 2-15 St James 2-9

Relegation playoffs

St Michael's 0-15 Kilconly 0-12
    An Cheathru Rua 1-11 Tuam Stars 0-12

Shockingly bad result for Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Shockingly bad result for Tuam

Heard they had 13 wides in a row in second half

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

Heard they had 13 wides in a row in second half

It doesn't mean they're relegated yet, just go into final relegation playoffs. Kilconly on thin ice too by the looks of things.

Annaghdown impressed from what I heard; don't know how it took M/M extra-time to beat Moycullen, so much stronger by all recent form prior to the game.

Wasn't too surprised it went to ET, Mountbellew had a shockingly easy group and are far from world beaters.

Tuam losing to Cheathru Rua was a major shock, 12/13 (heard it was 12 from a neighbour who was at the game) wides in a row tells its own story. Amazing what losing momentum and a loss of confidence can do

That said they'll probably get Caltra in the more familiar environment of Tuam Stadium and they've already beaten Barna.

Kilconly in right bother now.

With the 3 going down it brings huge intrigue but also it's interesting to acknowledge the massive consequences facing some of the clubs. Tuam and Barna would look to bounce straight back up and perhaps Cortoon but for Caltra, and Kilconly I'd expect a raft of retirements if they go down - and sadly if they do, they're more likely to be playing Junior in the next few years than Senior. Massive few weeks for them.

I wonder how much the Tuam lads have left in the tank. Not sure if things have changed under the current management but there was a lot of talk that they never took a break from training over the winter in 2015 & 2016. Mad carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I wonder how much the Tuam lads have left in the tank. Not sure if things have changed under the current management but there was a lot of talk that they never took a break from training over the winter in 2015 & 2016. Mad carry on.

Most lads doing their own bit over winter. If ya dont ya fall behind. Club football has now the same commitment levels as county 15 years ago. That is why the likes of Corofin will get stronger and stronger. Success and power breeds more of the same.

Do Corofin do that much more training than everyone else?

I just think they have a better panel available to them, quite simply. They'll fall back into the pack eventually when some of their veterans retire/start to decline

Most lads doing their own bit over winter. If ya dont ya fall behind. Club football has now the same commitment levels as county 15 years ago. That is why the likes of Corofin will get stronger and stronger. Success and power breeds more of the same.
    I get that people need to be always doing a bit but there has to some sort of plan put behind these things. The days of running lads up hills in lashing rain and thinking that'll automatically make them fitter than the next team are long gone. Tuam hit the wall last year against a decent Monivea team and had no life left in them by the end of the match. Mountbellew would have done unspeakable things to them if they had reached the semi-final. Hopefully they learned from that and altered their plans for last winter. They were going to burn players out if they didn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

SFC semi final draw

Corofin v Annaghdown
    Mountbellew/Moylough v Salthill or Milltown

An Spideal and Micheal Breathnach meet in the intermediate final after both had narrow wins in the semis.

SFC semi final draw

Corofin v Annaghdown
    Mountbellew/Moylough v Salthill or Milltown

An Spideal and Micheal Breathnach meet in the intermediate final after both had narrow wins in the semis.

Wonder what will happen if there are any more draws - could it be a possibility that the Galway champions will not compete in Connacht?

Wonder what will happen if there are any more draws - could it be a possibility that the Galway champions will not compete in Connacht?

Galway senior champions are playing Roscommon/London champions on 11th November, plenty of time yet. On another note, the treatment Gary Sice was on the receiving end of today was disgraceful, I don't know how he managed to hold his temper.

Galway senior champions are playing Roscommon/London champions on 11th November, plenty of time yet. On another note, the treatment Gary Sice was on the receiving end of today was disgraceful, I don't know how he managed to hold his temper.

There was a guy on Galway Bay FM today saying final is fixed for weekend of 27th / 28th. I assume this is to leave room for a replay? Or maybe it is to ensure that the county champions have more time to prepare for Connacht. Lets face it - if somebody beat Corofin, there will be major celebrations for that club during the week! At least one semi final now cannot take place until the weekend of 20/21 which means there is no room for a replay there either. I think the original plan was that the semi finals would be next week but the Milltown - Salthill match has scuppered that plan.

I think the original plan was that the semi finals would be next week but the Milltown - Salthill match has scuppered that plan.

Most certainly I'd say, given ET was played

An extremely embarrassing fixture pile up was avoided in the hurling today with Bridge accounting for Pearses in ET. can anyone tell me the point of those daft senior B play offs? Scrap that, can anyone show me a more farcical format in ireland than one where teams finishing 3rd in senior B groups (17th/18th in overall championship) can actually be in with a chance of making the overall latter stages of the championship?

Was in Pearse today - Spiddal + MB both deserving winners. There'll be plenty of spice to that final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Any update on football fixtures for the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

djPSB wrote: »
    Any update on football fixtures for the weekend?
    I presume just milltown Salthill replay this weekend with semis following weekend

Advertisement