Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle Racing Returns to Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DCC_Cycling (Ciaran)

I hear that Dan Martin will be racing on Saturday.

Just been down on Eustace Street. The lads assure me everything is under control....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

No vuvuzela please ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

any tv coverage of this ? cant see any on ITV4

would rather be on the bike than in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

any tv coverage of this ? cant see any on ITV4

would rather be on the bike than in dublin

It's on Setanta I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thanks (looks like it might be on at 7pm on sunday) their listings are terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Del1888

any more news on the support races!!! there was talk of 3 with one been ladies no menton of the other 2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Any list of competitors available at this stage?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Any list of competitors available at this stage?

http://www.tourseries.ie/teams.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

RobFowl wrote: »

It says that Lavery is riding for Ulster and Ireland. Mistake or different year for each of two races.
    Also is Dan Martin racing, if so for who?

ROK ON wrote: »

I think he's a guest rider riding for his team Garmin/transition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROK ON wrote: »
    It says that Lavery is riding for Ulster and Ireland. Mistake or different year for each of two races.

He's riding for Ireland (was initially selected by cycling Ulster before the Irish team was named). Dan Martin is riding solo for Garmin Transitions

Edit Doh too slow beaten by the French again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Michelin

Just reading this thread, i gather there was talk of support races but the only supporting race going ahead now is a ladies race? I dont see any information anywhere about any support races. Ive asked one or 2 people from clubs and they have no information regarding supporting races. So if we can take it now that apart frm a ladies race there will be no other support race?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Michelin wrote: »
    Just reading this thread, i gather there was talk of support races but the only supporting race going ahead now is a ladies race? I dont see any information anywhere about any support races. Ive asked one or 2 people from clubs and they have no information regarding supporting races. So if we can take it now that apart frm a ladies race there will be no other support race?

AFAIK, there is just the Ladies race before the Halfords Tour Event which starts at 6pm.

I will be marshalling some part of the course. Don't know where they will put me yet, but I will keep an eye out for any Boardsies I recognise.

Good luck to all taking part and hope everyone finishes safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Ladies race warm up from 3.30pm Race at 4.00pm

http://womenscycling.ie/blog/2010/06/16/dublin-city-crit/

Where is the handiest parking up there coming from N11 direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I am reluctant to criticize an event that can potentially be good for cycling, but the lack of information is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I am reluctant to criticize an event that can potentially be good for cycling, but the lack of information is astonishing.

Here's what i have:
    http://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/club-announcements/tourseriesinfo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know, it seemed pretty clear to me what's happening. Mens race - invite only. Women's race - open entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sonvolt

Hi Folks,

Some further details on these two events. Firstly confirmed Team Ireland entry is:

Belfast:
    1. Martyn Irvine
    2. Glenn Kinning
    3. Ryan Sherlock
    4. Micky Murray
    5. Adam Armstrong

Dublin:
    1. Martyn Irvine
    2. Glenn Kinning
    3. Ryan Sherlock
    4. Con Collis
    5. Adam Armstrong

As for support events, in Belfast there is a BMX free style demonstration before the event by Belfast Urban Sports. In Dublin there is a Women's race which takes place at 4.00 to 4.30. The main race then starts at 6.00 with warm-up from 5.00pm onwards.

Irish Professional Dan Martin is riding both events now: See
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/High-Performance/News/Dan-Martin-to-ride-Halford-Crits.aspx

Geoff Liffey
    Cycling Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Michelin

well, in fairness to the event and information channels, they have a website, its on cycling ireland website also and appears on irishcycling notes.
    There was a lot of talk on here about supporting events with the exception of the ladies race that was all hearsay.
    I guess if the organisers were serious about other support races that information would have been out there. Just as all the ladies are aware of there race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

Happened to be walking down Eustace street this evening. It still has a big hole in it, but I'd say they'll finish it off tomorrow. Lots of fresh tar in spots as well, filling in gaps between cobbles. I never noticed before just how much the the kerb moves in and out there... it'll be fun in a bunch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

buffalo wrote: »
    Lots of fresh tar in spots, filling in gaps between cobbles.

Oh God. i hope it doesn't rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

it will be pure mental if it rains alright! great crack though for spectators! but could be sore elbows / knees etc for competitors !! :eek:

I am starting to worry about my bones and my wheels ...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I see Bikeweek.ie is inviting people to spectate for the 'thrills and spills', it'd make you think that somebody will be walking around the course with oil to ensure the public will be entertained with the odd crash.

How Dan Martin agreed to do this a few weeks before the TdF I don't know.

Don't worry bones heal and wheels can be replaced ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see Bikeweek.ie is inviting people to spectate for the 'thrills and spills', it'd make you think that somebody will be walking around the course with oil to ensure the public will be entertained with the odd crash.
    That won't be necessary. Delivery trucks and vans will be making their usual stops early on Saturday morning and god knows they spill enough oil and diesel all over the place.

I cannot imagine cycling at speed over those cobbles. Sometimes you can barely walk on the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

good luck saturday, just be careful at any icy patches:D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

How Dan Martin agreed to do this a few weeks before the TdF I don't know.[/QUOTE]

its highly unlikely that dan is doing the tour de france this year, so that probably why

garminguy wrote: »
    How Dan Martin agreed to do this a few weeks before the TdF I don't know

its highly unlikely that dan is doing the tour de france this year, so that probably why

Didn't Nicholas Roche ride the crit championships last year just before the tour?

Dan's Da was a dab hand at the city centre crits as well so I'd expect he can handle himself just fine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Where is the best pub / vantage point of the circuit?

Where are others watching it from?

Advertisement