Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About them Government people reacting to climate change lads

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would say the green diesel bhoys are rubbing their hands in anticipation of the diesel ban. I cannot wait until around 2035 and people start giving dirty looks to classic car drivers on the west coast. Anyone taking their MG out for a spin to Clifden will be labelled as Ozone killers and told to scrap their cars.

What will be entirely side splitting however, is when the global scientific guild make a bipolar 180o turn on the merits of the electric car industry and declare it an " unwelcome" result of the energy crisis.

Scientists remind me of the Roman Catholic church during the turn of the 10th century. Only " they " seem to know how to save the world and stop everyone from burning in hell. If you aren't a scientist, and don't know what the ozone layer is, you are laughed at for being a fool and ostracised for having a poor social conscience and being a " denier ". They use to hang heretics for being " non believers".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Scientists remind me of the Roman Catholic church during the turn of the 10th century. Only " they " seem to know how to save the world and stop everyone from burning in hell. If you aren't a scientist, and don't know what the ozone layer is, you are laughed at for being a fool and ostracised for having a poor social conscience and being a " denier ". They use to hang heretics for being " non believers".

And their continuous attempts at reproducing results, applying appropriate controls and falsifying hypotheses is bit like how those monks wear funny hats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Austria! wrote: »
    And their continuous attempts at reproducing results, applying appropriate controls and falsifying hypotheses is bit like how those monks wear funny hats.

I am not joking on this one, sorry for having to clarify.

The whole issue of climate change has evolved into an issue of social conscience. I wouldn't know a millibar if I saw one, however I am constantly being told by media and everything else that I have a " carbon footprint " and that I should be more " aware " of clmate change.

I can't prove otherwise, but if I don't believe, I am being labelled as an antisocial non believer who is harming the planet, " if you don't believe us and pay your carbon tax you are part of the problem "

To me that is identical to how religion got so powerful. Educated people in authority dictated to the masses that they need to believe in this religion or the world would end and they would go to hell.

It is not all that different in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Looks like i'm going to have to open up my bog again that hasn't being used in years.And the more tax the put on oil and coal the more trees i will cut.
    Sick listening to these politicians on about being world leaders in climate change so that the look good in Europe.Half the world doesn't even know where Ireland is in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mgn wrote: »
    Looks like i'm going to have to open up my bog again that hasn't being used in years.And the more tax the put on oil and coal the more trees i will cut.
    Sick listening to these politicians on about being world leaders in climate change so that the look good in Europe.Half the world doesn't even know where Ireland is in the first place.

Our national inferiority complex and "need" for approval and validation from abroad is an ongoing issue alright.

This is just another cash grab by FG on the back of poor election results for them - as has already been said, 92% didn't partake in this "Green Wave". Leo turning up in a hybrid Dublin Bus to launch it just shows how much of a stunt it is.

Let's see how many are in favour when a litre of diesel costs 20c more (a figure I saw earlier), how much the "easy pay" retrofit programme will cost (and what about renters? Presume this will hike their costs even further?), and still more charges come in - and for what? "Attaboys" on social media :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well you live and farm so you need to be there. Most people living in the middle of nowhere who are reliant on cars aren't farmers though.

So will Leo move us all into cities besides our jobs so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Fann Linn wrote: »

Leo will be gone in the next election or the one after. His plans will follow him out the door.

We can't build a hospital or even a road properly. Broadband? Forget about it.

Have you seen the plans for climate action? Pie in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes, yes he will.

Yes, yes he will.

I thought so. I fancy a nice one in Dalkey so.

He cant house the people that live there already.

• Advertisement

He cant house the people that live there already.

Exactly. And they can't provide public transport for rural dwellers. Pie in the sky which will ultimately depend on the agreement of their FF colleagues in govt.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Leo will be gone in the next election or the one after. His plans will follow him out the door.

Don't worry Leo will get a nice well paid job in Europe in a few years time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Don't worry Leo will get a nice well paid job in Europe in a few years time.

They all do. It's the natural progression. He won't be any loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

This is a money grab.
    The "green wave" . 8% voted for the greens 92% didn't.

Any indication given today that the tax collected will be ring fenced for climate action? I didn't see any.

7 billion a year interest on the bank debt. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

7 billion a year interest on the bank debt. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
    No, that would be the far bigger day to day running of the country debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I don’t know, the same idiots will vote for them regardless. I bet Leo and his crew are here for the longhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I would say the green diesel bhoys are rubbing their hands in anticipation of the diesel ban. I cannot wait until around 2035 and people start giving dirty looks to classic car drivers on the west coast. Anyone taking their MG out for a spin to Clifden will be labelled as Ozone killers and told to scrap their cars.

What will be entirely side splitting however, is when the global scientific guild make a bipolar 180o turn on the merits of the electric car industry and declare it an " unwelcome" result of the energy crisis.

I am not joking on this one, sorry for having to clarify.

The whole issue of climate change has evolved into an issue of social conscience. I wouldn't know a millibar if I saw one, however I am constantly being told by media and everything else that I have a " carbon footprint " and that I should be more " aware " of clmate change.

I can't prove otherwise, but if I don't believe, I am being labelled as an antisocial non believer who is harming the planet, " if you don't believe us and pay your carbon tax you are part of the problem "

To me that is identical to how religion got so powerful. Educated people in authority dictated to the masses that they need to believe in this religion or the world would end and they would go to hell.

It is not all that different in fairness.

Good posts - I totally agree. The analogy is quite stark. I am optimistic though. The 'Can't fool all of the people all of the time' principle applies and you will have more and more coming forward to notice that the emperor does not have any clothes here despite the indoctrination in schools.

You are right about incompetency regarding benefits for the people, but for taxation on the people they never mess up. Revenue are far and away the most efficient arm of the government. Property tax, USC. Direct hits. Swift implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Thats exactly why this strategy is dangerous because it has to give somewhere.

We couldn't get a water charge across the line which is a green issue because it was campaigned as something against the hard working tax payer. The headlines in the indo right now are all about Ross targeting private driver.

You even have the greens criticizing the strategy because it doesn't have enough options or ways to make sure there is incentive for people to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Calhoun wrote: »

You even have the greens criticizing the strategy because it doesn't have enough options or ways to make sure there is incentive for people to change.

You mean 80 euro per ton on carbon tax by 2030 isn't enough for the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You mean 80 euro per ton on carbon tax by 2030 isn't enough for the Greens.

Well they are calling out that there is not enough viable alternatives for people, without hitting them in the pocket.

I assume they see like most that if you just bring out the stick and no carrot you will not have a good time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement