Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant solar panel instructions... Need help!

• 09-06-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

I recently moved to a house with solar panels (house built about 8 years ago). But I'm not sure I'm operating the system properly. I downloaded the instructions but I can't make head nor tail of them.
    Today for example, water was lukewarm at 5pm(had central heating for water on for 30 mins at 6am). I know it was showery but sun was shining a fair bit also. Can anyone give me a dummies guide how to best operate this solar panel system? Or how do I even know its working?? Please excuse my ignorance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

toby2111 wrote: »
    I recently moved to a house with solar panels (house built about 8 years ago). But I'm not sure I'm operating the system properly. I downloaded the instructions but I can't make head nor tail of them.
    Today for example, water was lukewarm at 5pm(had central heating for water on for 30 mins at 6am). I know it was showery but sun was shining a fair bit also. Can anyone give me a dummies guide how to best operate this solar panel system? Or how do I even know its working?? Please excuse my ignorance!

Going from memory on when I got my system installed about a decade ago I was told the best thing about solar panels is they will bring cold water to about 7 degrees even on a cloudy day.

This is where you will save on traditional fuel costs, ie. it costs very little to get from 7 degrees to hot water compared to going from "cold" water to hot.

Let the solar panels do their job and then top up the water heating with whatever other source of fuel you are using.

It works for us anyway, after a nice day we stick the oil on to heat the water for twenty minutes and are sorted for a hot bath.

After a very nice sunny day there is no need to put on the oil boiler.

Solar panels need to be serviced every few years too, a guy runs some blue dye through the system, charges about 200 euro and moves on to the next three or four jobs he has that day.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You should have better than that. I had a full cylinder of hot water (200L) today by midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

We paid a guy a lot of money to top up the glycol or whatever it is... He said it should work but I still don't know if its working or not!! I never programmed the water to come on for a few days last week and we had no hot water in the morning for a shower.... I know it wasn't very sunny last week but should it have been cold??

kceire wrote: »
    You should have better than that. I had a full cylinder of hot water (200L) today by midday.

Was that on solar alone?

This is my control panel... If anyone can advise on best (easy) way to programme it.... Maybe it's programmed incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

kceire wrote: »

I know, but for the little amount of times we would have a bath instead of a shower it's easy to justify spending the 200 euro on oil.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

That looks to be the same system as mine and we had a tank of piping hot water around noon on solar alone (normal for this time of the year). The system was here when we bought the house and luckily never had to go at the control box. If I can find out anything I will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭R11

homah_7ft wrote: »
    That looks to be the same system as mine and we had a tank of piping hot water around noon on solar alone (normal for this time of the year). The system was here when we bought the house and luckily never had to go at the control box. If I can find out anything I will let you know.
    I'd appreciate that ,thanks.
    Would you(or anyone else) have enough for 2 showers in the morning?Or would you need to pop on the timer to heat water for half an hour each morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

We have a pumped shower and we have enough hot water for several showers in the morning at this time of the year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was that on solar alone?

Yeah. Solar PV. Been like that for the last 6 weeks give or take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭R11

homah_7ft wrote: »
    We have a pumped shower and we have enough hot water for several showers in the morning at this time of the year.
    Ok,mine must be banjaxed so. As I said I left hot water unprogrammed during the week and water was too cold to shower. So obviously something is not working properly. Thats why I think maybe the settings on our panel are incorrect,as previous owner never bothered with solar panels....

Took this picture at 7.10am... Its the days production from the control panel, its 0.00. So is C2, total production.... That's not right is it?

Just saw that I've been posting under my name on my phone and my wife's while on laptop... Apologies for confusion!

We had a good few hours of sunshine here this evening. Water is not exactly boiling, just warm. Neighbour said his is piping hot. Is there anything I can try before calling for someone to have a look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

We had a good few hours of sunshine here this evening. Water is not exactly boiling, just warm. Neighbour said his is piping hot. Is there anything I can try before calling for someone to have a look at it?

There's another thread on here somewhere, where the temperature probe that turns on the circulating pump wasn't correctly installed, so the pump was never coming on. Maybe start looking at that end of things?

n97 mini wrote: »
    There's another thread on here somewhere, where the temperature probe that turns on the circulating pump wasn't correctly installed, so the pump was never coming on. Maybe start looking at that end of things?

OK, thanks. I'll check that out.
    I put the pump on manually earlier, it goes back to auto after 30 minutes. Water not any hotter and production still at 0....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hi did you ever figure this out?

Having similar issues

Advertisement