Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer (Dublin) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snigiollarua

Rejection letter stated that I could email for feedback on my interview, I did so straight away. Does anyone know how long before they get back to you, and how useful is the feedback, thanks
    Sorry to hear you fell at interview I found it a very tough interview, I passed but was not placed they will be running another so don't give up and at least you will know what to expect from the next one. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Rejection letter stated that I could email for feedback on my interview, I did so straight away. Does anyone know how long before they get back to you, and how useful is the feedback, thanks

They are quick enough in giving you any feedback and interview notes (if there was somebody there taking them and if you request them). Generally speaking the feedback is short and could be a sentence or two but could highlight which competency they felt was weak which might help you in reformulating your examples.

If you haven't seen the competency model then have a look here:
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/documents/Clerical_Officer_Level.pdf
    Always useful to study before an interview and have a few examples of each of the 6 high level area's even if they don't ask for any in your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

I’ve received the Garda Vetting form too so I’ll be getting that done straight away.
    Have you already given them your written references?

Yes - they took copies of them on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

Hi all, congrats to everyone who did the interview. Did my interview last Saturday and I got offered An Garda Síochána. I’ve received the Garda Vetting form and don straight away. I have to look for accommodation for Dublin once I know where ill be based. Is there anyone else same boat as me? If so could you private message me and maybe we could share the accommodation, I know it takes about 3 months for vetting to be done.
    Thank you all and best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snigiollarua

Any one else who got letter to say passed interview but didn't get placement hear any more, don't know whether to email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Yazzy124

I went for the interview Saturday and got the Nsso. Does anyone have a idea when we would be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

Yazzy124 wrote: »
    I went for the interview Saturday and got the Nsso. Does anyone have a idea when we would be starting.

Would imagine you can start as soon as the garda vetting is completed and you have provided PAS with the different bits they have looked for, references etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dylanyahoo

Just a random question, I'm not in this competition,

Do Clerical Officers in the Garda wear a uniform? I know they do in Mountjoy Prison.

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    Would imagine you can start as soon as the garda vetting is completed and you have provided PAS with the different bits they have looked for, references etc.

Thanks Gafffer78

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

dylanyahoo wrote: »
    Just a random question, I'm not in this competition,

Do Clerical Officers in the Garda wear a uniform? I know they do in Mountjoy Prison.

No, garda civilians don't. Clerical officers in the Prison Service do wear a uniform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Clarenceworley

Glad to hear the success stories. My son has been told he may get called in June. In an attempt to prepare him for it (just in case!) I was wondering if anyone who had been interviewed could answer a quick question?

Someone previously mentioned about the competencies for a CO. I am familiar with competency based interviews but the form which my son filled out had no competencies on it - just asked for his work experience.

Could someone explain how they went about structuring competency based questions? Did they go through the work experience or did they actually call out the competencies and ask questions like they would if a competency based form had of been submitted?

Any help is much appreciated and well done again to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Glad to hear the success stories. My son has been told he may get called in June. In an attempt to prepare him for it (just in case!) I was wondering if anyone who had been interviewed could answer a quick question?

Someone previously mentioned about the competencies for a CO. I am familiar with competency based interviews but the form which my son filled out had no competencies on it - just asked for his work experience.

Could someone explain how they went about structuring competency based questions? Did they go through the work experience or did they actually call out the competencies and ask questions like they would if a competency based form had of been submitted?

Any help is much appreciated and well done again to all.

^^Link to CO competencies^^

Usually two panel members. One may ask teamwork and delivery of results other will ask two more.

They asked me about teamwork, examples of working on a team the results, they emphasised alot on the outcome. Also they asked about a time when something didn’t go to plan, they want to see if you can think on your own feet and be leader in group or know your role.

Also asked me about my communication skills and how I deliver my information to others and in what manner. Asked do you consider communication important as to other skills.

They spend some time on self development and engagement in work should you be successful in obtaining the job. Do you think it’s important for civil servants to upskill and why? Ask me is there anything I’d do. I just mentioned I’m starting an online course in September to up-skill and they were happy.

And they referred to my application with level or experience or expertise in Microsoft, email etc. Ask me to explain something I learned on Word that I didn’t know before and also asked would I feel comfortable and would I do presentations at work. Asked me about presentations i did in college and what grade i got.

I tend to use the STAR Technique for the competency question and scenarios etc.

Hope that’s helpful

Kevin17W wrote: »
    ^^Link to CO competencies^^

Usually two panel members. One may ask teamwork and delivery of results other will ask two more.

They asked me about teamwork, examples of working on a team the results, they emphasised alot on the outcome. Also they asked about a time when something didn’t go to plan, they want to see if you can think on your own feet and be leader in group or know your role.

Also asked me about my communication skills and how I deliver my information to others and in what manner. Asked do you consider communication important as to other skills.

They spend some time on self development and engagement in work should you be successful in obtaining the job. Do you think it’s important for civil servants to upskill and why? Ask me is there anything I’d do. I just mentioned I’m starting an online course in September to up-skill and they were happy.

And they referred to my application with level or experience or expertise in Microsoft, email etc. Ask me to explain something I learned on Word that I didn’t know before and also asked would I feel comfortable and would I do presentations at work. Asked me about presentations i did in college and what grade i got.

I tend to use the STAR Technique for the competency question and scenarios etc.

Hope that’s helpful

Wow...great help. Thank you very much indeed for this. Gives us a good starting point to prepare from. Thanks a million.

For the interview they asked me about examples for each such as team work, delivery of results etc. They asked me a few examples for each so tell me a time in your degree that you felt team work was important tell me a time when you worked in x what teamwork was involved. I would learn more than one example for each as it can be switched around. Also focused on self development I focused on talking about college and education and any achievements on previous work experience such as promotion etc. Best of luck

Yazzy124 wrote: »
    For the interview they asked me about examples for each such as team work, delivery of results etc. They asked me a few examples for each so tell me a time in your degree that you felt team work was important tell me a time when you worked in x what teamwork was involved. I would learn more than one example for each as it can be switched around. Also focused on self development I focused on talking about college and education and any achievements on previous work experience such as promotion etc. Best of luck

Again, great help. Will make sure he is well prepared for each competency. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Had my interview at 8.30 this morning, it was all competency based no tell me about yourself or talk me through your employment history. After interview you are asked to wait in a room with the others who have finished their interviews. Letters are then handed out to let you know how you done. Thankfully I passed interview and have provisionally been assigned to an garda siochana

Hi, Congratulations on passing your interview. I have an interview next week for a temporary clerical officer position. How many people were interviewing you ? I wonder is it the same process with the letters after interviews for temporary clerical officers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CoffeTime

Do we have to send to clearance@publicjobs.ie written work references or a referees list with their contact details?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

CoffeTime wrote: »
    Do we have to send to clearance@publicjobs.ie written work references or a referees list with their contact details?
    TIA

I just forwarded written references. I only sent references from my supervisors during my times as TCO. They wanted them in pdf. I’m sure they’ll ask for more if needs be.

Kevin17W wrote: »
    I just forwarded written references. I only sent references from my supervisors during my times as TCO. They wanted them in pdf. I’m sure they’ll ask for more if needs be.

Thanks Kevin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

TIA

Was that in the letter? I didn't spot that bit.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Was that in the letter? I didn't spot that bit.

Yes, they say in the letter that if you pass the garda vetting process they will contact you to to seek your permission to gather references from the referees provided.

Yes, they say in the letter that if you pass the garda vetting process they will contact you to to seek your permission to gather references from the referees provided.

Spotted that bit, thought it meant they would make contact at that stage for references

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LittleMissRed

Eod100 wrote: »
    Spotted that bit, thought it meant they would make contact at that stage for references

The original application information booklet said to have two written references ready to submit in case you are successful at interview. On the day of interview they asked me at registration if I had them but said it was totally fine if I didn't. Then they announced that if we had any outstanding documentation to send it on to them as soon as possible just to speed up the process for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cople

Still a bit unsure of what to do re references.

I passed the interview on saturday but didn't get an immediate placement. I was asked when I was signing in did I have my references with me (which I didn't). I was told to forward them on after the interview, but when I received my letter it said that they would contact my referees once I'd been placed.
    My issue is that I can get one written reference no problem from my current employer, but my previous employer does not provide written references, they'll take a quick phone call if they absolutely have to but never a written one.
    I've been trying to get in touch with a college tutor to get one but he's hard to get a hold of. Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to miss out on a placement after having come this far

Cople wrote: »
    Still a bit unsure of what to do re references.

I passed the interview on saturday but didn't get an immediate placement. I was asked when I was signing in did I have my references with me (which I didn't). I was told to forward them on after the interview, but when I received my letter it said that they would contact my referees once I'd been placed.
    My issue is that I can get one written reference no problem from my current employer, but my previous employer does not provide written references, they'll take a quick phone call if they absolutely have to but never a written one.
    I've been trying to get in touch with a college tutor to get one but he's hard to get a hold of. Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to miss out on a placement after having come this far

I've seen people mention this on the 2017 Clerical Officer thread. It seems that while they would prefer the written reference, if an employer is refusing then they are happy to organise a quick call to discuss it. However, I'd recommend contacting PAS and explaining your situation to get clarity on it. If you get the direction from them then you can't go wrong :)

The original application information booklet said to have two written references ready to submit in case you are successful at interview. On the day of interview they asked me at registration if I had them but said it was totally fine if I didn't. Then they announced that if we had any outstanding documentation to send it on to them as soon as possible just to speed up the process for ourselves.

I was same but person that dealt with me just said they would be in contact after. Got email to that effect earlier too

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

Hi all,

Has anyone herd any thing yet any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

2016claire wrote: »
    Hi all,

No nothing yet.... not expecting any news until next week.

2016claire wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not yet. I suspect they are waiting for Garda vetting to clear before assigning anyone.

• Advertisement

Got a email to say garda vetting was completed from vetting company

Advertisement