Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer (Dublin) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

If you're lucky - I know clerical officers on nearer 350 than 400. I would look at the scale and see if your current career trajectory is the same as the scale, which you skip points 4 and 8 on. Bear in mind there is an excellent work life balance in the civil service and avenues for progression.

Says starting pay is 469 a week before tax and a lad in last years thread said he started a couple weeks ago. Take home was around 400. Unemployed at the minute since returning from being in the US. Aim was to start saving for a house and that but on 400 a week take home. Don't see that happening. I heard work/life balance is great. What kind of progression is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ciano316 wrote: »
    Says starting pay is 469 a week before tax and a lad in last years thread said he started a couple weeks ago. Take home was around 400. Unemployed at the minute since returning from being in the US. Aim was to start saving for a house and that but on 400 a week take home. Don't see that happening. I heard work/life balance is great. What kind of progression is there?

As I say dunno how he's getting that. Certainly not the pay everyone is getting. There are internal competitions and interdepartmental - you're not excluded from the Open competitions either and if you've a bit of people management experience it's not that difficult to make the jump to EO. If you've got a good HEO or AP that believes in development it's even easier. That's not amazingly paid either though starting out.

As I say dunno how he's getting that. Certainly not the pay everyone is getting. There are internal competitions and interdepartmental - you're not excluded from the Open competitions either and if you've a bit of people management experience it's not that difficult to make the jump to EO. If you've got a good HEO or AP that believes in development it's even easier. That's not amazingly paid either though starting out.

It's on the Forsa payscale for clerical officer. First pay on the scale is 469. What did you mean by skipping 4 and 8? I have previous work in operations in an office. Have covered maternity leave as ops manager as well. Have an honors degree in IT too. Just was always led to believe civil service was a solid job but never really looked into the pay involved. Very unsure as what to do

It's on the Forsa payscale for clerical officer. First pay on the scale is 469. What did you mean by skipping 4 and 8? I have previous work in operations in an office. Have covered maternity leave as ops manager as well. Have an honors degree in IT too. Just was always led to believe civil service was a solid job but never really looked into the pay involved. Very unsure as what to do

€469 (without checking it) is correct but its the Net figure I'm disputing. I've seen CO payslips (without deductions for unions dues etc.) at €365 per week rather than €400.

Personally I made the switch from private sector and recommend it. If you can stick CO for a while you'll easily progress IMHO albeit to 30,127 plus the pay rises due in Jan (0.5%) and September (2%).

I thought Dublin was crying out for IT people? Although at my age I'd take the job security over the higher salary (within reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Well I have applyied and I would be very happy if I got a job from them.
    I have spent 25 years in kitchens and now I want to not come home like a ball of stress

• Advertisement

€469 (without checking it) is correct but its the Net figure I'm disputing. I've seen CO payslips (without deductions for unions dues etc.) at €365 per week rather than €400.

Personally I made the switch from private sector and recommend it. If you can stick CO for a while you'll easily progress IMHO albeit to 30,127 plus the pay rises due in Jan (0.5%) and September (2%).

I thought Dublin was crying out for IT people? Although at my age I'd take the job security over the higher salary (within reason).

Haven't kept up with the IT industry like I should have over the years. Stayed in non IT jobs. How long are we talking to get to 30k?

Cheers for your advice

Haven't kept up with the IT industry like I should have over the years. Stayed in non IT jobs. How long are we talking to get to 30k?

Cheers for your advice

Really depends when the competitions come up and until now I've assumed you were in Dublin. 2 - 3 years including the massive wait that is civil service recruitment is not beyond the beyonds.

Really depends when the competitions come up and until now I've assumed you were in Dublin. 2 - 3 years including the massive wait that is civil service recruitment is not beyond the beyonds.

I am in Dublin yes. I thought the wages went up in yearly increments like on the Forsa scale???

How would I get from 24k to 30k in 2 or 3 years?

I am in Dublin yes. I thought the wages went up in yearly increments like on the Forsa scale???

How would I get from 24k to 30k in 2 or 3 years?

Get promoted to EO. You have the people management experience. Also I missed your question on skipping points just miss out points 4 and 8 on the scale when counting years.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Hiya
    The security of a well paid (and it does pay more than S/welfare), perm and pensionable job with benefits and opportunities is worth its weight in gold.
    It doesn't matter where you are based but hopeful somewhere suitable to you. Sit out the first 12 months probation and then start moving up the ladder - it is all doable.
    Note - if you have previous TCO or Public service experience which will bring it all up to 24 months, you can start applying for any EO or HEO competition.
    Its tough at first but I think (I hope) worth it)
    Tigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Richiecor

Hi ,
    I was provisionally assigned for AGS in March , my reference was only contacted nearly 2 months ago and still not a jot on placement date and location. Realistically how long more should I be waiting? At this stage I am considering forgetting about it completely and seeking other employment in private sector. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Richiecor wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I was provisionally assigned for AGS in March , my reference was only contacted nearly 2 months ago and still not a jot on placement date and location. Realistically how long more should I be waiting? At this stage I am considering forgetting about it completely and seeking other employment in private sector. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

9 months is longer than most. Have you chased it with either PAS or Garda HR?

9 months is longer than most. Have you chased it with either PAS or Garda HR?

Just emails really , usual generic responses back . Hoping I'll get the call this week, but have been saying that for a couple months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Hi ,

Hi there,

I am in a similar position. I was assigned back in may, finally cleared vetting in September and was given a start date for later in that month. There was an issue on their end and I didn’t start on the date I was supposed to and I was told I would be given a new start date but I am still waiting over 3 months later. I have contacted them plenty of times but have never had anyone contact me back, which appears to be a recurring theme reading through various posts on here.

The only reasons I haven’t kicked up more of a fuss are because I am also awaiting vetting/security clearance for another position with AGS (and it is going as well as this one) so I am hoping that will come up first. And someone in another topic said that most departments wind down at the end of the year and it takes a while before they get going again in the new year. I am going to give it until Friday week and then start making enquiries. If I don’t get any update I will ask public jobs if I can be reassigned.

08122019 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am in a similar position. I was assigned back in may, finally cleared vetting in September and was given a start date for later in that month. There was an issue on their end and I didn’t start on the date I was supposed to and I was told I would be given a new start date but I am still waiting over 3 months later. I have contacted them plenty of times but have never had anyone contact me back, which appears to be a recurring theme reading through various posts on here.

The only reasons I haven’t kicked up more of a fuss are because I am also awaiting vetting/security clearance for another position with AGS (and it is going as well as this one) so I am hoping that will come up first. And someone in another topic said that most departments wind down at the end of the year and it takes a while before they get going again in the new year. I am going to give it until Friday week and then start making enquiries. If I don’t get any update I will ask public jobs if I can be reassigned.
    That's another thing I can't understand. Why have the people interviewed in May been placed ahead of the people assigned in March.? If it's based on the test results fair enough, but surely they could have explained this more clearly. The responses I'm getting back are ' this is a long process' etc, extremely vague. The whole thing is frustrating , especial when everyday in work for the last 3 or more months , I'm getting asked if I've got a start date ( from my employer and colleagues). I think now I'm just going to seek new employment in private sector and try get this position out of my head.

That's another thing I can't understand. Why have the people interviewed in May been placed ahead of the people assigned in March.? If it's based on the test results fair enough, but surely they could have explained this more clearly. The responses I'm getting back are ' this is a long process' etc, extremely vague. The whole thing is frustrating , especial when everyday in work for the last 3 or more months , I'm getting asked if I've got a start date ( from my employer and colleagues). I think now I'm just going to seek new employment in private sector and try get this position out of my head.

Don't give in without making the call - ring them and ask them straight out what the delay is.

I would highly recommend the civil service over private sector. As above don't give up without exploring all the options - maybe they can reassign you. One thing I will say about AGS though is the civilianisation is creating a lot of opportunities.

I would highly recommend the civil service over private sector. As above don't give up without exploring all the options - maybe they can reassign you. One thing I will say about AGS though is the civilianisation is creating a lot of opportunities.

I agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Hi,

Just wondering how long it would usually take from when you pass clearance (Ref checks and Vetting all done) to getting assigned to your position with a start date.

Would I be looking at a week or 2? I will be getting placed with the NSSO, but no start date as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Any idea what score they are up to now? I scored fairly low, only 450 but i beat the qualifying mark of 428. However since it's Dublin only I expected to have been called by now

• Advertisement

I got this reply

Your Score:

Qualifying Score:

I am pleased to inform you that you have been placed 850 on the order of merit for Co. Dublin.

so Im going to to waiting a long time for a job

I got this reply

Your Score:

Qualifying Score:

I am pleased to inform you that you have been placed 850 on the order of merit for Co. Dublin.

Are you sure this is the same comp? The message i recieved a few months back said the max score is 800 and qualifying score is 428 and there was no OOM

Any idea what score they are up to now? I scored fairly low, only 450 but i beat the qualifying mark of 428. However since it's Dublin only I expected to have been called by now

People are still starting from the 2017 panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

I got this reply

Your Score:

Qualifying Score:

That's the TCO competition score , theres a separate thread for that .

Did you get an expression of interest for bilingual vacancies ? My daughter scored around 480 and she got one last week. She is not fluent in Irish so she did not apply but I was wondering if that meant that they were near her number?

That's the TCO competition score , theres a separate thread for that .

any link please

Did you get an expression of interest for bilingual vacancies ? My daughter scored around 480 and she got one last week. She is not fluent in Irish so she did not apply but I was wondering if that meant that they were near her number?

Yes I got the same mail too but I'm not fluent in Irish either. I didn't realise they were still working off the 2017 panel, that's a bummer

Yes I got the same mail too but I'm not fluent in Irish either. I didn't realise they were still working off the 2017 panel, that's a bummer

No neither did I but the panel is uaually for 2 years so there is still a lot of time to pull from the 2019 panel, hopefully it will be soon enough.

• Advertisement

Only in so much as people are still being placed due to the huge lag on vetting for AGS.

Advertisement