Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Apparently it's popular enough to break the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hit over a million in two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Like there's even a slim chance this won't be funded......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Dreams actually come true ;__;

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What a story to wake up to:) I love Shenmue and no other game reveal at E3 can top this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

So happy about this. I loved the first and have the second at home but never played it due the the story not being finished which really bugged me.

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Ahh man what a series of games, had Shenmue 2 on the dreamcast back in the day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More than even Bloodstained, I think this illustrates a culture shift in what Kickstarter is being used for.

There's not a hope in hell $2 million, even $8-10 million (assuming this breaks existing records, which it probably will) could fund Shenmue 3, especially if it's being developed in Japan! Even taking into account the first was the most expensive game made at the time and a massively cut budget was inevitable. What I reckon is happening here is that Sony and perhaps several others have guaranteed the bulk of development funding - with a Kickstarter in place just to prove for certain it will recoup some money (and guarantee tens of thousands of pre-orders ;)).

So yeah: maybe there is a contractual stipulation that the funding would not be made available without a successful Kickstarter, suggesting this would then not be made. I wouldn't be surprised if more cult classic games and creators go down this route. But it was a business-savvy (and a little cynical, depending on how you look at it) move by Sony to announce this the way it did, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar funding model applied for future 'cult classic' follow-ups - even if Shenmue 3 is the daddy of them all.

As for the game itself, curious to see how it's actually delivered. Without the luxurious budget of the last games, it'll be fascinating to see what approach is adopted to make the most out of resources while still delivering a step forward. Or perhaps they'll be content to create something that really feels in line with the originals - given what was expensive then will be much more reasonable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

I think it's more a publicity stunt for kickstarter. How many people logged on today to find out kickstarter is? 2m is nothing, 65,000 pre sales?
    With the lack of finished games, they could use a massive "success" story.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this hit 10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

gotta say I backed it! cannot ****ing wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

And its funded. Fastest game to reach $1m on Kickstarter and also the fastest to reach $2m.

Roll on Dec 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I hope they do a pack with the 1st 2 games..... cause I never played them cause nobody I know had a Dreamcast :O

Glad to see this happening for all the fans of the series.... especially given there was meant to be like... what 9 or 12 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I would be surprised if there was not some kind of collection next year for the first 2.

Cormac... wrote: »
    I hope they do a pack with the 1st 2 games..... cause I never played them cause nobody I know had a Dreamcast :O

Glad to see this happening for all the fans of the series.... especially given there was meant to be like... what 9 or 12 episodes

They have copies for sale in the RAGE, just off Georges St. You could have a look when you're in Dublin.

Think there were supposed to be 16 chapters. Shenmue 1&2 cover Chapters 1 and 3-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Julez

Must dust off the old Dreamcast and give these a play through again. One of my all time favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jys09PM.gif

First time I've backed one of these things. Wonder if Sony are matching the amount to get console exclusivity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Backed at 29 dollars.

Would have backed around the 100 mark if there was a physical PS4 release, maybe more again if there was a Dreamcast version! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hurrah, my Dreamcast still lives, just cannot find the bloody games now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well it has already reached its goal in 8 hours, which is a new record, it is on nearly €2,500,000 now and will more than likely break Bloodstained record by tomorrow.

Xenji wrote: »
    Well it has already reached its goal in 8 hours, which is a new record, it is on nearly €2,500,000 now and will more than likely break Bloodstained record by tomorrow.

Nearly into the first stretch goal. Hope it makes it to the stretch goal for the Shenmue 1&2 cinematics to be added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anyone know why there isn't a physical PS4 option?

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anyone know why there isn't a physical PS4 option?

I assume sony will make it

Nearly into the first stretch goal. Hope it makes it to the stretch goal for the Shenmue 1&2 cinematics to be added.

What exactly will the 1&2 cinematics entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cormac... wrote: »

I can give you a lend of Shenmue 2 for the original Xbox Cormac, which actually works on 360, it includes a handy catch up DVD if you haven't played the first, I'm sure the first can be emulated well though these days.... :)

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    What exactly will the 1&2 cinematics entail?

Exactly what I said. It would be the main cinematics from the two games spliced together to make a cath up movie.

Exactly what I said. It would be the main cinematics from the two games spliced together to make a cath up movie.

Ah right i see. I just thought it was something abit fancier seeming as you can watch similar videos on YouTube already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1064673

Sony are indeed funding shenmue 3, shocker.

Shenmue not going to xbox then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That is a bit of a shocker alright. Was thinking maybe just a timed exclusive like Tomb Raider on Xbox of FF7.

But then why the kickstarter, to gauge public interest to see how many million they should pump into the project?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But then why the kickstarter, to gauge public interest to see how many million they should pump into the project?

As I said above: publicity, pre-orders (Kickstarter: gamer approved pre-ordering!) and a possible deal that full funds would only be delivered on the back of a successful campaign :) Like Bloodstained, it's incredibly obvious crowd funding would not be sufficient on its own to fund the game.

While it's quite cheeky that there wasn't more details on the campaign page, at the same time I'm surprised people don't realise that Kickstarter alone isn't enough totally (barely even partially) to fund anything but small independent titles. And even then...

Advertisement