Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Ok thanks paul..... Musy you wear a suit for that interview aswell? Aftr that whats next?? Li ke i said im really worried abouth the Gr2!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Ok thanks paul..... Musy you wear a suit for that interview aswell? Aftr that whats next?? Li ke i said im really worried abouth the Gr2!!

You will not be judged for other peoples actions unless they feel that you will be a treat to the secure information you might come across yourself. This backround check i believe is done by the local station and not by Garda HQ. The next intake is in June i believe so you might not hear back from the HQ with a confirmed GR2 form number for some time. Remember, the wheels of a big organisation turn very slowly and what's for you won't pass you... Also, the wearing of a suit is your choice but i would recommend that you be smartly dressed.. (first impressions and all that) that could consist of a pullover (jumper), shirt (no tie) and a casual trousers (not tracksuit / old jeans etc...).. The main thing is the right person not the material they are looking for. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

shakin wrote: »
    very helpful thanks a million,
    so if apply now when is the earliest do you think i could start-best case scenario?:D

I'd say if you apply now best case would be in 12 months time, I think,
    it does take a bit of time,
    maybe if you return your gr2 in good time it will go quicker for you, but I can't say how long it will take for them to get back to you one you register your interest,
    good luck to you, I hope you go for it, it really is a very good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

:Dcheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

Mad jesty,

How do the members of the full time force treat you?
    I was talking to a reserve member recently and he said he was treated great like one of the fulltimers. Its just that there was alot of tension when this was first introduced. I presume you are treated well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Invincible

Just out of curiousity,would ye'r long term ambition be,to be proper Gardai ?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Invincible wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity,would ye'r long term ambition be,to be proper Gardai ?
    Invincible,dont know if you are trying to be a smart ass but in answer to your question I would say almost half are looking to join the full timers,others like me just want to do something interesting and worthwhile in our spare time,we are all aware we will not be on CSI Dublin!!!! but are still happy to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Invincible

Invincible,dont know if you are trying to be a smart ass but in answer to your question I would say almost half are looking to join the full timers,others like me just want to do something interesting and worthwhile in our spare time,we are all aware we will not be on CSI Dublin!!!! but are still happy to do this.

Well leinsterdude,
    not "trying to be a smart arse",just curious,as have relative in Gardai,and am aware of the high esteem,that ye'r held in.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Invincible wrote: »
    Well leinsterdude,
    not "trying to be a smart arse",just curious,as have relative in Gardai,and am aware of the high esteem,that ye'r held in.

I take it that your trying to be sarcastic mate??

Hi,wondering if any reserves in training or on duty who are in late 20's to early 30's thinking of applying for full time or have already applied,the salary would be my main concern for 2-3 yrs,any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

Hi,wondering if any reserves in training or on duty who are in late 20's to early 30's thinking of applying for full time or have already applied,the salary would be my main concern for 2-3 yrs,any thoughts?

There are people who do go for it, and it will be a struggle but if you want it bad enough, its a struggle worth dealing with in the long run.
    I think if you just apply and try and see if you can manage, at least you won't have any doubts in a few years time when you are over the age limit.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

I sent it to Public Jobs but then I was told to go to the local Garda station....I rang up Public Jobs and they said that I was right to send it to them.
    Just wondering, do the GR now have power of arrest for public order??

karlokarl wrote: »
    I sent it to Public Jobs but then I was told to go to the local Garda station....I rang up Public Jobs and they said that I was right to send it to them.
    Just wondering, do the GR now have power of arrest for public order??

Yes the GR have the power to arrest in Public Order Offences.........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 flat_tyre_again

Yes the GR have the power to arrest in Public Order Offences.........;)

Please correct me if I'm wrong but GR do not have power under Public Order. GR can Arrest for Arrestable offences specified within the act such as Riot, Violent Disorder and Affray and have certain powers when section 21 is envolked within a cordon at an event, however they do not have P.O.A for the non arrestable offences e.g. Failure to comply Section 8

POLICING POWERS
    The powers of Reserve members will generally be confined, at first instance,
    to the following areas of duty:
    1. under the Road Traffic Acts - demanding driving licences and insurance
    details, enforcing the wearing of seat belts etc;
    2. under the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication,
    threatening behaviour, disorderly conduct and failure to comply with the
    direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; and
    3. under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act –
    dealing with the offences of theft and burglary.
    4. Reserve members would also be given the power of arrest under
    the Criminal Law Act 1997, which provides powers of arrest for
    both members of the Garda Síochána and civilians.

ACCESS TO PULSE
    Reserve members will have limited access to
    PULSE. They will not have access to
    intelligence entries on the PULSE System.
    All access to PULSE will be strictly
    controlled by the Information Technology
    Division of An Garda Síochána, based on a
    personal warrant number.
    Reserve members will carry out the following
    functions on PULSE:
    1. Inputting Driving Licence / Insurance details
    2. Vehicle Checks
    3. Update Vehicle Status
    4. Warrant Searches

POLICING POWERS
    The powers of Reserve members will generally be confined, at first instance,
    to the following areas of duty:
    1. under the Road Traffic Acts - demanding driving licences and insurance
    details, enforcing the wearing of seat belts etc;
    2. under the Public Order Act – dealing with the offences of intoxication,
    threatening behaviour, disorderly conduct and failure to comply with the
    direction of a member of An Garda Síochána; and
    3. under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act –
    dealing with the offences of theft and burglary.
    4. Reserve members would also be given the power of arrest under
    the Criminal Law Act 1997, which provides powers of arrest for
    both members of the Garda Síochána and civilians.

ACCESS TO PULSE
    Reserve members will have limited access to
    PULSE. They will not have access to
    intelligence entries on the PULSE System.
    All access to PULSE will be strictly
    controlled by the Information Technology
    Division of An Garda Síochána, based on a
    personal warrant number.
    Reserve members will carry out the following
    functions on PULSE:
    1. Inputting Driving Licence / Insurance details
    2. Vehicle Checks
    3. Update Vehicle Status
    4. Warrant Searches

Thing is that the above ( does not confer upon Reserve Garda P.O.A for non arrestable offences. As I mentioned in an earlier post, failing to comply with the direction of a Garda is not an arrestable offence under CLA 1997 therefore GR don't actually have P.O.A under the Public Order Act. I'm getting into grey areas now and being frivolous in picking on the fact that you mentioned P.O.A under Public Order Act. Its a slight difference but all the same, an important one.

If you had access to a current GR Policy and Proceedure Manual you would see GR's have no general powers under Public Order Act

Thing is that the above ( does not confer upon Reserve Garda P.O.A for non arrestable offences. As I mentioned in an earlier post, failing to comply with the direction of a Garda is not an arrestable offence under CLA 1997 therefore GR don't actually have P.O.A under the Public Order Act. I'm getting into grey areas now and being frivolous in picking on the fact that you mentioned P.O.A under Public Order Act. Its a slight difference but all the same, an important one.

If you had access to a current GR Policy and Proceedure Manual you would see GR's have no general powers under Public Order Act

Reserves have NO power of arrest for public order. Its all very confusing at the moment, but its basicallly under the road traffic acts that reserves powers come into play.

Is there anybody here on phase 3 or attested yet?

JUst wondering have ye been assigned to a unit and if so do you find it difficult to get in the hours, as the roster been as it is would mean your unit only working every second or third weekend.

Also have ye been doing 8 hour shifts or do they mind people coming in and doing the 4 hours? Obviously it would be much handier to get the hours in during the week if they agreed to 4, as it would be nigh on impossible for anybody working to do 8 hours during the week.

All comments greatly appreciated, or pms.;)

So does that mean that if ur on duty in Dublin city on a Fri or Sat night, you don't have the power of arrest if people are absolutely wasted and getting into fights? That's a bit crazy isn't it? What are the GR supposed to do? Just stand back and do nothing??

So does that mean that if ur on duty in Dublin city on a Fri or Sat night, you don't have the power of arrest if people are absolutely wasted and getting into fights? That's a bit crazy isn't it? What are the GR supposed to do? Just stand back and do nothing??

Ye thats basically it. The full time member that your with is supposed to do the arresting. Bit ridiculous I know but thats the senario.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

tucker1971 wrote: »
    Ye thats basically it. The full time member that your with is supposed to do the arresting. Bit ridiculous I know but thats the senario.

is it then difficult to be then taken seriously by the members of the unit you've been assiged to because of restrictions like these, and are there things you can do to realistically be of help?

• Advertisement

Try police specials forum its the English version of this,:pac: very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Try police specials forum its the English version of this,:pac: very good read.

surely they can assist in restraint, handcuff lead away from trouble area?

the police specials are different and have more responsibility from what i saw in an episode of crimewatch anyway.
    they can drive cars and vans and they can patrol alone. ive seen them bring a suspect to a station to be processed and seen them issue fixed penalty notice for out-of-date tax

tucker1971 wrote: »

You have the power of arrest i.e. similiar to citizen's arrest, have you not?:confused:

wetgarden wrote: »
    You have the power of arrest i.e. similiar to citizen's arrest, have you not?:confused:

GR's power of Arrest and a Citizens power of arrest come from the same act (Criminal Law Act 1997) for arrestable offences. The only difference is that a GR does not have to hand the arrested individual(s) over to a full time member. GR's do everything from arrest to court.

GR have many more powers than that of a citizen.

GRs like citizens have power of arrest under the Criminal Law Act 1997, however they cant arrest for less serious offences, i.e Public Order, drunk driving etc....
    As far as I am aware the crime has to have a penalty of 5 years imprisonment or more in order for a GR to arrest, apart from the certain powers GR have under Road Traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

A citizen can only arrest someone under Sec. 4, subsection 1 and 2 of the Criminal law act 1997,
    as well as the above a Garda Reserve can arrest under Subsection 3.

Its best you google the Criminal Law act and read it. It would take me too long to type it.

GR's power of Arrest and a Citizens power of arrest come from the same act (Criminal Law Act 1997) for arrestable offences. The only difference is that a GR does not have to hand the arrested individual(s) over to a full time member. GR's do everything from arrest to court.

GR have many more powers than that of a citizen.

I think you misunderstood me.
    Obviously they would have more powers than that of a citizen. With all the talk about what arresting powers the GR have, one would think they have hardly any at all. All I was saying was they can arrest similiar to a citizen anyway and all the other powers then that go along with that!:D

pat1187 wrote: »
    A citizen can only arrest someone under Sec. 4, subsection 1 and 2 of the Criminal law act 1997,
    as well as the above a Garda Reserve can arrest under Subsection 3.

Its best you google the Criminal Law act and read it. It would take me too long to type it.

I read the subsections in the criminal law act and subsection 3 under sec. 4 states that a member of An Garda Siochana can make an arrest if they are of the opinion that the offence is an arrestible one.
    This surely means that the GR can arrest if people are drunk/dis-orderly or using threatening behavior, does it not?

I read the subsections in the criminal law act and subsection 3 under sec. 4 states that a member of An Garda Siochana can make an arrest if they are of the opinion that the offence is an arrestible one.
    This surely means that the GR can arrest if people are drunk/dis-orderly or using threatening behavior, does it not?

Nope, An arrestable offence is....

"an offence for which the penalty can be 5 years imprisonment or more"

Threatening/Abusive behaviour in a public place (S6 Public Order Act 1994) is dealt with by a max sentence of £500 and/or 3 months imprisonment therefore it is not an arrestable offence under Criminal Law Act 1997.

If the penalty is less than 5 years in prison then it is not an Arrestable offence in terms of Setion 4 of CLA97. This does not mean you cant be arrested for it, just that you can't be arrested under S4(3) CLA, you would be arrested under Public Order Act S24 for the offence of contravening S6.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstood me.
    Obviously they would have more powers than that of a citizen. With all the talk about what arresting powers the GR have, one would think they have hardly any at all. All I was saying was they can arrest similiar to a citizen anyway and all the other powers then that go along with that!:D

Yes Mate, sorry, did pick you up wrongly. There was talk of the GR's getting Public order powers at the AGM in Jan but it was not passed. I guess that is because it is where most complaints come from.

Advertisement