Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

I have to say I still get the invariable question "Why are you doing this ?Would you not rather be at home with your family etc". I was told by a full time Garda that they resent our lack of powers insofar as ie.Public order they have to process all the paper work on arrest as our powers are so limited.While we are been accepted I still think there is an air of suspicion with some."How can you be doing this for nothing are there not more worthy causes you could be giving your time to".
    Like everything I think it takes time.But having said that I think some Gardai have forgotten why they too joined in the first place. I don't believe everything should centre around money for instance.What about giving for giving sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Having followed this thread since the beginning I can honestly say that I don't care how we are seen by the rest of the force. We are the ones giving freely of our time to (hopefully) benefit society. If some members cannot see the advantages of having another person beside them when they go to perform a difficult arrest then frankly I have very little respect for such short sightedness. Even if the Reserve cannot make the actual arrest the presence of another uniform is bound to help diffuse the situation. How anyone who is trained to talk people down and avoid physical confrontation can moan about that is beyond me. We merely increase the presence of the Gardai on the streets and that has to be a good thing.

Anyway I don't see myself attesting and suddenly becoming some sort of crime fighting superhero. What I do see is me performing what is required of me, to the best of my ability, within the constraints imposed on me. I think if we all did that no members would be in a position to give out.
    I can't argue with most of what you have said collieg, although I must admit personally I do care what my full time colleagues think of me, for at the end of the day you don't want to be giving up your hard earned spare time to work with people who don't like you because of what your doing. Most of us reserves have been pleasantly surprised by the level of goodwill and
    co-operation given to us by our fulltime colleagues, for while most of them find it amazing that we would do this for nothing, on the whole I would feel that most of them respect us for it. The Reserve Force is barely a year old, so as with any new concept there are bound to be teething problems, and there probably is still a sizeable amount of members out there opposed to the concept. However with our hard work, hopefully in years to come reserve members will be seen as a valuable asset to the full time force, and will be widely accepted by ordinary members and management alike. While I feel that at the end of the day we will always be outsiders, it is still incumbent on all of us to the pave the way for present and future reserve members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

V
    gilly2308 wrote: »
    I can't argue with most of what you have said collieg, although I must admit personally I do care what my full time colleagues think of me, for at the end of the day you don't want to be giving up your hard earned spare time to work with people who don't like you because of what your doing. Most of us reserves have been pleasantly surprised by the level of goodwill and
    co-operation given to us by our fulltime colleagues, for while most of them find it amazing that we would do this for nothing, on the whole I would feel that most of them respect us for it. The Reserve Force is barely a year old, so as with any new concept there are bound to be teething problems, and there probably is still a sizeable amount of members out there opposed to the concept. However with our hard work, hopefully in years to come reserve members will be seen as a valuable asset to the full time force, and will be widely accepted by ordinary members and management alike. While I feel that at the end of the day we will always be outsiders, it is still incumbent on all of us to the pave the way for present and future reserve members.

Very good thread and i fully agree with what you say . I have been in GR nearly a year now and was the first one in the division so I was a novelty to say the least. Yes there was friction at first and some who just ignored you but if you tough it out it is worth it. Yes it costs me time and money to do it and there were times when I asked myself was it worth the hassle. went to the christmas party with the unit and had great time . Took a lot of slagging from the lads but finally felt welcome. My advice to all is stick it out ,keep your sense of humour and believe you are doing a worthwhile job as well as paving the way for those who come after you.

Hi was just wondering are there many attested reserves attending the conference in Dublin on Saturday week? If so what is the quickest route coming from the South east please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Hi was just wondering are there many attested reserves attending the conference in Dublin on Saturday week? If so what is the quickest route coming from the South east please.

Hi Baton,

Think most will attend, best thing to do is to log on to AAireland/routeplanner and pop in your start and finish points, it will be the most up to date route, given traffic / road works etc.

I am heading from the meath/louth area if any one wants a lift from that area, I can take up to three, as am collecting one in swords already, I dont mind headin north on m1 for anyone who needs a lift from further up the country.

Geo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

gilly2308 wrote: »
    . . . although I must admit personally I do care what my full time colleagues think of me, for at the end of the day you don't want to be giving up your hard earned spare time to work with people who don't like you because of what your doing. Most of us reserves have been pleasantly surprised by the level of goodwill and
    co-operation given to us by our fulltime colleagues, for while most of them find it amazing that we would do this for nothing, on the whole I would feel that most of them respect us for it.

I'm not sure if I actually made myself clear there Gilly. I don't mean I have no respect for any Gardai that I might have to work with. I mean obviously I do or I wouldn't be doing this in the first place ;)

It's more the Gardai who wish to use the Reserve as the butt of all their problems. The "ashtray on a motorbike" brigade. I think theirs is a very shortsighted view and does not fully take into account the benefits we present.

Fair enough we may not have the skill levels that a full time Garda would have but then again even if we had, we would have no cause to use them as we are sure to be accompanied.

I don't believe and nor do I think anyone on this thread believes, that our on the job training ends when we finish phase iv. Instead every time we go out we will learn that little bit extra and over time we'll become better suited to our responsibilities. Hearing from the Reserve members on this thread who are already out there shows that, especially when they mention how members attitudes are already changing.

I may not bring the skills of a full time Garda to the job but I bring others that I have learned in my full time job. Having spoken to a member (friend of mine) he seemed to forget that the Public Appointments Service didn't just go out and randomly pick the first couple of hundred people they met. We have all been down a long process to get where we are.

Well that's it really. Honestly I'm quite proud of where I am today and where, hopefully, I'll finish up. I will not and do not believe that any of us should be made to feel ashamed of the genorosity of spirit that drives us. If members wish to hurl around the "Walter Mitty type" gibes or "hobby bobby" etc I for one can ignore it.

I'm motivated more by doing something for my community than seeking approval.

Plus, at the end of the day, it'll look great on the cv ;)

geo1212 wrote: »
    Hi Baton,

Think most will attend, best thing to do is to log on to AAireland/routeplanner and pop in your start and finish points, it will be the most up to date route, given traffic / road works etc.

I am heading from the meath/louth area if any one wants a lift from that area, I can take up to three, as am collecting one in swords already, I dont mind headin north on m1 for anyone who needs a lift from further up the country.

Geo
    Thanks Geo will let my Co pilot know.
    As regards been accepted or not, just think what the Ban Gardai went through in the 60's.That was a huge step at the time for the rank at file and now they wouldn't or couldn't do without them.Looking forward to chatting with most of you on Saturday week to share experiences to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

thanks lehanemore for getting back to me,very much appreciated.yeah understand what your saying and agree with you but i'm not sure or haven't saw anyone say they have waited as long as i have but i may have overlooked that.i applied for the garda reserve in february 2007 and did my entrance exam in march so quite along time now.thought it would have been a much speedier process than that.so i would like to hear if anyone else is in the same boat or is it just a donegal thing.how are you on in the process.look forward to your reply.:confused:

becker wrote: »
    hello..
    new to this..great thread..as a full time member,it interesting to hear what you have to say..i belive you have a meetin in the smoke this week..hope you get public order act..as you know now its nearly the bread and butter,off our job..i agree with the concept off the reserves,and have worked with a few off ye too..no problems at all..but i find it differcult,as you give your time,etc.. how that you are not getting any travel or sub`s..that some off you`s have to travel from donegal to kerry ,without anything..the €1k wont go far.. think its very short sited..and tight fisted..
    anyway good luck to ye..

Becker, always good to hear from a full time member of the force, and even more so when you have good things to say about the reserves. Would you say your views are shared by your colleagues, as while I have always been treated extremely well by my full time colleagues anytime I have worked, I have always wondered as I'm sure others have, are they been so nice to you behind your back? I'm sure public order powers will feature quite strongly at this meeting on Saturday, and hopefully its something we will get down the line, although of course theres the downside then of regular court appearances. Finally as regards the money aspect of it, or should that be lack of it, I suppose the fact that we are all willing to give up our hard earned spare time to do this for nothing, shows how strongly we feel about this whole concept, and of course the honour of wearing a Garda uniform. I have a wife and two girls under 3, work shifts in my own job, yet I would still look forward to been a Garda Reserve on a Saturday night, so either were all mad, or very dedicated to been a Garda Reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

I have relations in the force, I was asked who they were and where they are stationed. But it was nice and informal, the Super asked this, like he just wanted to know if he knew them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

I just have a question for the people on here who are currently reserves, how did your friends and family react to your decision to become a reserve?
    I would be interested in hearing your replies as I have a feeling some of my friends when they hear my intentions will not be too supportive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Directing this to current reservists, are you allow to bring your parts of your uniform home? I know the story with the ID already. What items of uinform are you allow to bring home if you are allowed?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

tucker1971 wrote: »
    I just have a question for the people on here who are currently reserves, how did your friends and family react to your decision to become a reserve?
    I would be interested in hearing your replies as I have a feeling some of my friends when they hear my intentions will not be too supportive.

I suppose it must depend on your age, my friends thought I was a little cracked and work colleagues used to go quiet now and then but eventually seemed to forget and now it's business as usual, Depends on how much you go on about it. I am in my 50's so it will be different than for someone in their 20's etc. overall though not a lot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

pat1187 wrote: »
    I suppose it must depend on your age, my friends thought I was a little cracked and work colleagues used to go quiet now and then but eventually seemed to forget and now it's business as usual, Depends on how much you go on about it. I am in my 50's so it will be different than for someone in their 20's etc. overall though not a lot of difference.

and what about your full time colleagues on the Force, how are relations now a year or two after it was rolled out?

lehanemore wrote: »
    and what about your full time colleagues on the Force, how are relations now a year or two after it was rolled out?

Great, like anything,you have to work to earn respect and therefore gain authority,
    It helps a lot when you are assigned to a unit and are trying to get to know a dozen or so people instead of everyone all at the one time.I have only been here since September and have no gripes whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fluffyduffy

Can anyone tell me how many Garda Reserves there are at present??
    How many do they plan to have???

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Thanks!
    I think they are looking for around 4000
    but im sure that figure would be gettin revised every year

Thanks!

should be around 170 attested reserves at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

pat1187 wrote: »
    should be around 170 attested reserves at this time.
    wow is that all
    how come so few.

paul666 wrote: »
    I think they are looking for around 4000
    but im sure that figure would be gettin revised every year

The plan is to have the Reserve force at 10% of the full time force by 2012, by which time it is envisaged there will be 15,000 full time members. Therefore they are hoping to have 1,500 reserve members by 2012. Finally there are just over 200 reserve members at this moment in time, with another batch due to attest next month.

• Advertisement

Directing this to current reservists, are you allow to bring your parts of your uniform home? I know the story with the ID already. What items of uinform are you allow to bring home if you are allowed?

Thanks

You are supposed to leave you uniform in a locker at your station, then again I know of very few reserves that have been given lockers, so most people would bring their uniforms and id cards home with them. Even if you have a locker there is nobody that I know of stopping you bringing your uniform home, just make sure you look after it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Hey,
    Does anyone know, how i go about getting the money back for the Hep B injections???
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leo bowes

can anybody tell me what restrictions the garda reserve have regarding tattoos

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

I have 2 one one each arm (sorry now) small as they are I am starting training nxt wk.I guess if they were on my forearm or neck etc it could change things,although uk police seem to not be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leo bowes

hi leinsterdude i have them on my right hand and was wondering how this might affect me

Hi,on hand or just visible,would depend what is was I think,although I am unsure but if it was political or dodgy in some way it may not be good to be shown,anyone else know?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

Hi
    I haven't contacted my Sgt yet at my local station,because I was told to wait until tomorrow, As far as I know we have to do 56 hrs over the next 9 weeks. And you attend your local station in 3 hr sessions so there will be approx two of those a week, stage 2 will be law studies, I do know there is an exam at the end of this stage (2) and that exam takes place at your training station and last approx 45 mins.

Also you asked me for a break down on the recruitment process,
    basically, I applied online over 12 months ago, so it takes roughly a year to go from registering your interest online to actually being accepted and begining your training. And others I spoke to over the weekend said it had taken them even longer say for example 18 months, to go from registering interest to commencement of training.

It didn't take long.... a matter of a few weeks before I received contact and a date for the first interview and exam, and I think it was as little as two weeks after that I got my letter to say I had passed the interview and exam, I recieved the email with the GR2 the same day my letter arrived in the post.

The next section is up to you, how quickly you take to fill out the form and track down your aunties and uncles ext. and many long conversations with a few stray family members as you search for dates of birth, full address etc. It took me a long time to track people down, which should explain the long gap before I was interviewed the second time by my Sgt.

so the quicker you get that filled in the better, then you email it back, they verify it and send it back to you, then you print it and take it in to the station and they witness you sign it there and they process that for you, the next stage is you wait, while they check you out.

After that you will be called to an informal interview with your local Sgt. and he/she will go over your form with you, and I can't give you a time here because its different for everyone,

a few more weeks (last Jan ) after that I was called for my interview with the local Super, this was more formal but still relaxed, he was very friendly and I enjoyed the interview, he asked me about my family and why I wanted to join and asked me a series of questions to determine what kind of character I was etc.

and my medical was the near the end of Feb and once I passed that I received a call the next day to confirm I would be attending for training on the 8th and 9th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

very helpful thanks a million,
    so if apply now when is the earliest do you think i could start-best case scenario?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

To Leinsterdude...... and everybody else
    Well now,
    I hope you enjoyed your mixed grill you had with me and arrived home in one piece...
    My body is sore today.. muscles i never knew was there... Well i hope the legal studies go good with you and everybody else... Mine start on Sunday... for the whole day... 8 hours with a break... See ye all on the 11th..

• Advertisement

Hi,thanks good luck to you too,talk in 8 weeks.:D

Advertisement