Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you do?

• 28-03-2004 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Just trying to gather some information on our audience. Mostly because I'd be interested in organising a meet of some sort. We have them over on the scuba board and they're a good laugh so we could try something here. Probably will be a hill walk of somesort but we could try for something else.

Anyway I'm into hillwalking, climbing and bouldering.

What outdoor sport are you into to? 1387 votes

Hillwalking
    1% 15 votes
    Climbing
    23% 327 votes
    Bouldering
    8% 120 votes
    Kayaking
    3% 52 votes
    Mountain Biking
    9% 126 votes
    Other (please provide details)
    8% 111 votes
    Camping
    4% 58 votes
    Mountaineering
    13% 182 votes
    Caving
    8% 119 votes
    Skiing
    1% 26 votes
    Parachuting/Sky Diving
    4% 60 votes
    Boating
    1% 23 votes
    Running
    2% 40 votes
    Road Cycling
    9% 128 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I'm into hill-walking meself. Like yourself Phil, I think a small club would be in order or at least a group of interested other parties to arrange weekends in Kerry, Connemara or Mayo would be in order. I know quite a few others that would be interested in same.

I would be interested in doing some boulder/rock climbing as well, but no idea how to get into it so advice would be appreciated.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

There are a few of us down here in Cork on Boards- myself, ridgewalker, davalanche, skorzeny, to mention those I know. We should do something. Can someone throw up a poll to see where people are based, and if anyone else is interested in getting together?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Do any of you know a Rory, in UCC, who's currently at the MCI Alpine meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I do orienteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Stark wrote:
    I do orienteering.

So do I....when my ankles aren't giving out to me too much :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Mountaineering, hill-walking, climbing and a bit of kayaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I grew up in the middle of the wicklow mountains. hillwalking/mountaineering/climbing i do but my biggest outdoor obsession by far is caving and potholing.

Spelunking added to the poll and I put a vote in for your good self :)

Please please please do not use the word spelunking. The word caving pretty much covers both aspects of the sport. Speleology is a word not enough people are aware of, although it is the "proper" term...
    Spelunking is a stupid american word (hope I dont offend any1 there) that some people confuse with cave diving for some reason.
    The word "Caving" is ample, and doesnt wreck my head. Sorry if it seams like i'm bitching about it too much.... Any chance you could chance that on the poll Phil???

thanks

thanks a million man. sorry if i was being too anal / seeming too pretentious about it. The word spelunking just really annoys me and i dont fully know why...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Bmx riding and power and stunt kiting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flagpole

hillwalking (cant get enough it it) , orienteering (i sympathise with the person who mentioned their ankles :) ),

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Mostly climbing and Bouldering. A lot of camping and stuff related too!

Mostly climbing and Bouldering. A lot of camping and stuff related too!

Yep, they tend to go well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

i sail lots - inshore yacht racing, some offshore racing and cruising. as a boat owner i spend more time fixing and maintaining.

i also do some hill walking and ski-ing. i would like to try orienteering. bouldering sounds interesting

have done some parachute jumps and a tandem skydive

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

do hillwalking and camping with my scout unit (47th Ballybrack )

didnt know there was a Outdoor pursuits forum untill now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 surfin

HI All,
    as name suggests i do some surfing, Rock Climbing, Mountaineering, ab sailing, Kayaking, and other watersports. I also love camping but i never really considered it an outdoor pursuit sport!! more of a beer drinking sport!
    LarryOne how do you commit to caving, i did it once and though i did enjoy it i found it oh so cold and v. claustraphobic (sp)
    BTW someone mentioned about group meeting up to do outdoor stuff! Im a member of a cliff rescue Team and also a Mountain Rescue team (Irish Mountain Rescue Association) lots of you will have those types of teams in your localities, and we nearly always need dedicated members, just in case any of you were interested in doing your sport with a group/team and its usually great socially aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fitgrrrl

Hey! Where's the box for running? I know there are lots of us out there...

There ya go. I run myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Whats the best way to begin orienteering?Should I join a local club, or just go to a meeting on my own.Are these meets welcoming for beginners? I'm in South Dublin. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Techo wrote:
    Whats the best way to begin orienteering?Should I join a local club, or just go to a meeting on my own.Are these meets welcoming for beginners? I'm in South Dublin. Cheers.

Yes there are always courses for all abilities so inc beginners
    So just come down to a local event and ask.

There's an event in Marley Park next Sunday 20th. Start's are usually 11-1300

There are about 4 clubs in that serve South Dublin inc the one I'm in.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭*yoda*

orienteering as well so i know all about the sore ankles and the knees. its great fun though! to anyone who was slightly turned off there!

surfin wrote:
    LarryOne how do you commit to caving, i did it once and though i did enjoy it i found it oh so cold and v. claustraphobic (sp)
    I went on a weekend away with the UCD club about 5 years ago, and I just got hooked. Not a great idea for the claustraphobic. Particularly in those 35m long flat out crawls where you have to hold your head sideways because it's the only way you'll fit. Or the passages that have 13m depth of water and 30cm of airspace =0) And then your battery cable gets snagged in a jagged bit of rock. *shudder* It's stuff like the 80m pitches, the swimming through underground lakes, the tight squeezes from small passages breaking into massife chambers, trying to climb over & around wet bolders wearing muddy boots... half the time that I'm actually underground I'll curse it and bitch about it, but it's actually the stuff I really enjoy and keeps me interested. It can be cold, but it's ok in thermals and fleece. Or a wetsuit...

There's nothing wrong with starting new threads to discuss these topics folks, it's not like the forum is swamped with traffic or anything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I'll be doing my first hill walk on sunday (9th july), i figure it would be a good place to meet people that are actually interested/passionate about something rather than "hanging out" all day :)

if anyone else is new and interested, its a easy hike, open to public.
    details of it at http://www.anoige.ie/calendar/hillwalking

Wish me luck!
    Ray

The walk a mention in the above post went great. Lots of friendly people, I was told we went about 7 miles.
    I did the "easier" walk. Age range excluding me was 30-60, so if u are 20ish and want to make friends to take home tha are around your own age group, u might need to bring one along, but as a day out, the people were very friendly and everyone chats to everyone.
    the moderate walk had a slightly younger age group 25-50ish? the hard walkers i seen were 25-40.

People with 'An Oige' member ship cards get priority on trip, but if there is people that cant fit on the bus then another walk is taking by public transportation etc to places like bray, which is great as it means its like 10 euro to get into this hobby only, but if u have ur heart set on the planned trip then get a card. (for me it was difficult to find the an oige headquaters, took 40 mins!)

it was quite funny seen people 3 times my age walk up a mountain much faster than me lol. great respect for them. worked up a great apetitite, seen a great waterfall, did sum great meditating in the sun on a rock after lunch lol, it was great fun overall.

Glad you enjoyed yourself Tinker. Could you post the An Oige contact details?

sure ill post them in the "useful links post" at
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I do rock climbing, bouldering, parcour, hill walking, camping, and the odd bit of orienteering myself.

Haven't been camping much lately though.

I'm also a member of the Sleibhteori Oige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

another caver here :)

Advertisement