Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

sk8board wrote: »
    I was switching on the Ireland Georgia match on my 4-5 year old Samsung smart tv in the kids play room last night and noticed that the ‘live’ option has been removed from the updated smart tv RTÉ player app - so you can’t play live tv but can play historical programming.
    Could this really be the case/be intentional?

It may be some issue with having a slightly older smart tv, but it’s definitely the updated app.

Same issue with me last night, no Live TV option last night on the App on my Samsung TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

The app on TV's does not have a live TV option. I have the app on a new Sony TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

It had the Live TV option at least a month ago on my TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

I watched a six nations game 10 days ago, we use it all the time and it was working fine.

In this instance, I used the Player app on an iPad and airplay’ed it to the tv via Apple TV box, so all good, but I think it’s an odd decision to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

sk8board wrote: »
    I watched a six nations game 10 days ago, we use it all the time and it was working fine.

In this instance, I used the Player app on an iPad and airplay’ed it to the tv via Apple TV box, so all good, but I think it’s an odd decision to say the least.

Six nations was on virgin media? Not RTE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

dulpit wrote: »
    Six nations was on virgin media? Not RTE...

True - must’ve been something else, either way it’s a very recent change and appears to be intentional

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Is anyone else having problems with watching any shows on the RTE player?

When trying to watch any historical programme it is just freezing and not continuing. Have tried it for the last three days and same problem.

Have used it for a few years with no problems until this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

van_beano wrote: »
    It had the Live TV option at least a month ago on my TV

Same. Just noticed this was missing.

Any reasons for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Airplay still doesn't work for me with an Apple TV 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

JMcGee wrote: »
    Airplay still doesn't work for me with an Apple TV 4K.

Same. I’ve reported it a couple of times. Plays the ads no problem but won’t play the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems with watching any shows on the RTE player?

When trying to watch any historical programme it is just freezing and not continuing. Have tried it for the last three days and same problem.

Have used it for a few years with no problems until this

Yes. I'm watching last night's EU election debate and it keeps freezing or buffering. Then it crashed my browser.

I just finished watching The Tonight Show on TV3 Player and it worked without issues.

They have some cheek demanding license fee increases when an ad revenue-funded company produced a better online streaming platform.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is it being developed completely in-house or are they using any external help?

What size of technical team is currently employed by RTE for the web app development?

Given talk about rap parties, etc. I can't help think that there are quite a few developers but looking at progress you'd be forgiven for thinking they've hired some kid working from their bedroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was only able to watch the ads at the beginning of a program on my Mac using Safari (it would stop before the actual program started).

I sent off an email and they got back quite quickly telling me to use Chrome instead.

I went to watch the weather on the phone app and I got a message that said I could not view it form my location. I can't remember the exact message but that is close to it. I tried it then on the TV and it just kept loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

don't know when it went live but RTE Player is now on Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

An Tarbh wrote: »
    don't know when it went live but RTE Player is now on Apple TV.

Thanks! Not even a tweet about it from RTE and quite a few people have been hollering for it since before last Christmas. Jeez, that's a shoddy operation. I'm half afraid to install it in case my Apple TV melts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

New RTÉ Player available on my 2016 Samsung TV, although it didn't replace the old version. Both are available in My Apps

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Saw another new ad on RTE last night about the new player & some new content being made available on it. At the bottom of the screen they had a list of the devices where to find the player, the usual phone, tablet & laptop were mentioned plus Smart TVs. As far as I know it hasn't appeared on LG TVs yet (mine is set to LG UK Store, for better app availability) Does anyone have the new app on an LG TV or any TV for that matter. I remember reading somewhere recently that Samsung were getting it on their TVs via some exclusivity deal ~ true?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's not on LG anyway. It's still the old one. I checked earlier on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Saw another new ad on RTE last night about the new player & some new content being made available on it. At the bottom of the screen they had a list of the devices where to find the player, the usual phone, tablet & laptop were mentioned plus Smart TVs. As far as I know it hasn't appeared on LG TVs yet (mine is set to LG UK Store, for better app availability) Does anyone have the new app on an LG TV or any TV for that matter. I remember reading somewhere recently that Samsung were getting it on their TVs via some exclusivity deal ~ true?

Yes it's on Samsung smart tv I have one bought it in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

brick man wrote: »
    Yes it's on Samsung smart tv I have one bought it in 2017

I tried the new app on my Samsung last night - it wouldn't play anything, buggy as hell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

AngryLips wrote: »
    I tried the new app on my Samsung last night - it wouldn't play anything, buggy as hell :(
    The app appeared on my LG for a few days after Christmas & then reverted to the older version. It worked fine while I had it. It a big improvement on the older version, why they withdrew a perfectly functioning update for LG baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Does anyone know how to make this thing work?

Rte Player XL seems to be nuked now :/

I had an issue watching the weather, it would not load on the TV and on the phone I got the error not available in your location. This is the second time to get this error. Also when you cast form the phone the sound is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Can anyone recommend an ad blocker for this. It’s melting my head watching the same ad 5 times in an hour.

Wanted to watch a show, have to watch two minutes of ads, I’d already watched the first 20 minutes so had to fast forward a bit, queue another two minutes of ads.

**** sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Can the RTE player be downloaded on Sharo Aquos series of TVs? I bought one yesterday, asked the salesman in store before buying if it had the RTE player, assured it had, but I can't find the app anywhere on the Aquos Net+, app store on the TV.

Was he telling porkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Morby wrote:
    Can the RTE player be downloaded on Sharo Aquos series of TVs? I bought one yesterday, asked the salesman in store before buying if it had the RTE player, assured it had, but I can't find the app anywhere on the Aquos Net+, app store on the TV.

I don't think so, I bought a Walker tv recently, no RTÉ player and I can't see any way of loading it, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Samsung and LG have the player but I don't know of any others

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

decor58 wrote: »
    I don't think so, I bought a Walker tv recently, no RTÉ player and I can't see any way of loading it, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Samsung and LG have the player but I don't know of any others

The Walker is probably saorview approved!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

decor58 wrote: »

Yeah looks like it alright, it's a shame but not a deal breaker as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

The Walker is probably saorview approved!

Yes, Saorview approved, sat, WiFi, Netflix, YouTube, but no Irish players, (24wps19).

Advertisement