Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family camping - getting started

• 16-06-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some general tips and guidance. Want to give camping a go with the kids, get out see the country side, make a few memories. But before I go out and buy the whole kit and caboodle looking for practical tips on getting started. What would people recommend as the "family starter pack"?? Recommendations on a decent tent? Do I need air beds, carpet, and torches in my hat. If you were starting again what you say are your essentials to make it enjoyable for everyone. And any general tips to pass on to the uninitiated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Ground can be hard in sites which makes it very difficult to sleep. Make sure you get decent air mattresses and plenty of covers as Ireland is cold at night. The type of tent really depends on how much you want to spend. Expensive tent will be solid, waterproof and durable. Camping is fantastic, but can be hard at times. If you've a large family I suggest a tent with plenty of headspace and 1 or two rooms. I just did 2 nights in a 4 man and it was cramped. Althought we only really spent time in the tent at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Practice in the garden. Spend a night in it, see how the kids get on. Then try a bit further away for a night, second night optional. Then try a longer break. Could end up a nightmare and a lot of tension without breaking everyone including yourself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Forget the air mattress get a couple of cots for the adults and either single air or sleeping mats for kids. You will want torches and a couple lanterns. As well as the sleeping bags chuck a couple of blankets or quilts in the car just in case. Biggest things are your sleeping and eating. Eating you can go small bbq, coleman or open fire or a combo of each. Or if you dont want to cook lots go for cold food...but one of the big joys of camping is firing up a few burgers or a bowl of chili in the outdoors. Also...dont forget your beers! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

And if you are a tea or coffee drinker prep for thatm love rolling out of a tent and firing up the kettle for either

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Join the FB group Camping with Kids in Ireland. You'll get every last bit of information there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement