Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ever experienced any hassle wild camping?

• 05-06-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

I never did until recently in the lovely village of Allihies on a spot I have used twice before. Turns out the village are after turning against wild campers to some extent and i was told they invested in several no camping signs some of which havn't gone up yet.

Have you ever been booted out of a place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Never had a problem but then I've never "wild camped" in a village! To be honest if not welcome I'd stay away. Stealth camp in quiet isolated areas and you won't upset anyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Been caught by the Rangers near Glendalough, ratted out by horse riders who could see our tents over the trees. Very polite and we promised to leave the next day, no issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

PVk4D8il.jpg
    cuswrONl.jpg

...not if you get well off the beaten track :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i think the clue is in the name "wild" , its not called schneaky camping

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Been caught by the Rangers near Glendalough, ratted out by horse riders who could see our tents over the trees. Very polite and we promised to leave the next day, no issues.

Were you in the national park boundary? I've camped many times near the upper lakes outside the park. Rangers would have no jurisdiction there or anywhere else that's not Coilte owned land or a national park. Just go slightly off the trails and don't cross fences or camped on gated land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We bivouacked on a hike in a forest on a long overnight hike. When we woke up there were marksmen culling goats. They'd arrived at eight in the morning and put signs up at all the entryways. Of course we were already in the forest and they went nuts at us. Really freaked out at us.

They calmed down when they realised we were there overnight. All ended well. After all, they were concerned with our safety and thought we walked by signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OP what is your understanding of wild camping?

The wild camping facebook groups are ruining wild camping for a lot of genuine wild campers. The number one question other than location broadcast for the world to see is can I park the car nearby? In other words I plan on pitching a massive 8 man tent lighting a bonfire and getting pissed then upset when someone asks me to pack up and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We bivouacked on a hike in a forest on a long overnight hike. When we woke up there were marksmen culling goats. They'd arrived at eight in the morning and put signs up at all the entryways. Of course we were already in the forest and they went nuts at us. Really freaked out at us.

They calmed down when they realised we were there overnight. All ended well. After all, they were concerned with our safety and thought we walked by signs.

appropriate user name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    OP what is your understanding of wild camping?

The wild camping facebook groups are ruining wild camping for a lot of genuine wild campers. The number one question other than location broadcast for the world to see is can I park the car nearby? In other words I plan on pitching a massive 8 man tent lighting a bonfire and getting pissed then upset when someone asks me to pack up and leave.

Anything that isn't a camp site really. Place I got hassle was about 1 mile outside the village. I suppose the odds are if you do enough wild camping you'll eventually step on someone's toes. Have a backup location I'll try next time I'm there

Advertisement