Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Has anyone disabled this? Did you notice any difference.

I just came across it as a battery saving tip on Cognition thread over at XDA, and then found this thread as well. I'm on vodafone, and reckon it's unlikely they have upgraded their network to support this yet, so it sounds like it's worth disabling.

From doing a little reading, sounds like it reduces the amount of network traffic involved in connecting and disconnecting when your various apps are updating/syncing. Or switching it off lengthens the time that your phone waits before switching from HSPA to 3G (ie reducing frequent connections/disconnections).

Basically sounds like it's useless if no network support, and if enabled may be draining battery.

Dial *#9900# and then Disable fast dormancy

Looks pretty easy to switch back on, so I've just switched it off to see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah I disabled it, simply because I came across something somewhere online that said meteor don't support Fast Dormancy yet, can't find it now, but came across something on the 02 boards saying it will be available on their network from next year. I'm assuming if they don't have it meteor won't be supporting it either.

From an XDA post
    If you have it enabled it will fall from H to 3G in 7 seconds when connection is idle, otherwise in 30 seconds. 7 seconds are to short it will lose time and battery renegotiating to H too often. Ex: when you read your rss feed it will renegtiate higher speed for every article you read, very annoying.
    Belive me, you are better off by disabling it.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1111581&page=7

I don't know how much battery its saving me, but as regards up/download speeds (average of 2 tests each run there a min ago)
    FD on: up 90kbps down 57kbps
    FD off: up 110kbps down 85kbps

I don't see any benefit to having it enabled myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Grassey wrote: »
    download the 2.2 update from the xda forum, then copy it to your phone (not your sd card).
    Then open up cwm from your apps and update from the zip file. The 2.2 update zip should be at the top of the list, it'll update and that's it done.

I have the update downloaded on my pc. Csn u give me simple instructions of what to do next. Where and how do i copy yhe file to my phone etc?
    I can see where the cwm app is. i presses it but it says someghing about having superuser.
    Thanks

@ Iggy

1. use the usb cable to copy the 2.2update.zip file from pc to your phone directory, not to your SD card! (it should show up under my computer -> I9100 -> phone - or something similar, just drag and drop the file into that folder)
    2. Open CWM - it should have a message pop up saying "CWM has been granted superuser access" - if its asking you to grant CWM superuser access, allow it to.
    3. Scroll down to "Flash an update.zip"
    4. press Flash update.zip
    5. phone will scan for .zip updates
    6. The next screen should have "Files" at the top and "litening_Rom_v2-2-update.zip underneath it.
    7 Select that zip and it should auto update for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

in terms of battery life, performance, and stability, what is considered to be the best rom lads?

im on the latest 'official' xeu rom, but id flash a custom if there is a benefit

• Advertisement

I suppose its down to personal preference, I use litening 2.2 and I'd notice an improvement over stock, also the overheating on back I experienced on stock has gone since I flashed.

I find 2.2 to be fast and stable (with exception of the search app which keeps FC on me - only noticed that earlier). As I've only used litening 1.5 then 2.2 I can't comment on the other roms personally but...

On XDA I've read people argue that litening is faster, Villian gives better battery, but Villian is more awkward to get set up with having to tweak it, then again some guys in the litening thread are reporting 3+ days use off of one charge on 2.2...

If you are looking to stick with stock and increase battery then use bloat freezer and freeze all the samsung apps and processes you don't need, I found a huge improvement once I stopped samsung hubs etc from running in the background.

@ Iggy

1. use the usb cable to copy the 2.2update.zip file from pc to your phone directory, not to your SD card! (it should show up under my computer -> I9100 -> phone - or something similar, just drag and drop the file into that folder)
    2. Open CWM - it should have a message pop up saying "CWM has been granted superuser access" - if its asking you to grant CWM superuser access, allow it to.
    3. Scroll down to "Flash an update.zip"
    4. press Flash update.zip
    5. phone will scan for .zip updates
    6. The next screen should have "Files" at the top and "litening_Rom_v2-2-update.zip underneath it.
    7 Select that zip and it should auto update for you.

Cheers for that.
    I now have lite'ning 2.2 installed. I hope the battery is good as when I had lite.ning 2.0 the battery was brutal. Maybe i have things running that I shouldnt have.

flashed the cognition latest rom last night and flashed to go launcher, happier with the phone now, things really zipping along, and go launcher is a nice alternative to touchwiz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

After rooting/simunlocking here are my phone details

Baseband I9100XXKE4
    Kernal I9100XWKE7
    Build GINGERBREAD.XWKE7

Is it OK to have the Baseband on XXKE4 with the Kernal & Build on XWKE7?
    Phone is running fine so I haven't noticed any problems myself.

I'm not going to put a new rom on it yet. I want to try out the samsung interface for a while after coming from my HTC. I had been running Leedroid on that.

Possibly a stupid question but how do I change the dock icons? I want to replace the messaging icon with the handcent icon in the dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Was it difficult to sim unlock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Was it difficult to sim unlock?
    The unlock codes stored on the device. You can just download an app from the market to get the code once youre rooted

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi Lads,

I'm about to get the S2 once its back in stock with meteor.
    Complete newbie to smartphones so sorry for the basic questions

What is rooting?
    What are ROM's (presume just a firmware update?)
    Do you still run on Gingerbread once done?
    Are they offical updates (from Google) or just random developers etc.

From what i read these upgrades improve battery, performance etc.

Thanks,

Rooting your phone is the process of modifying the operating system that shipped with your device to grant you complete control over it. Somewhat like Administrator access. This means you can overcome limitations that the carriers and manufacturers put on your phone, extend system functionality, remove samsung apps or install a custom ROM

ROMS are like custom operating systems where the developers have changed/removed/replaced parts or all of the system, and User Interface, and customised parts to give better battery or performance or overclocking and other tweaks etc

The ROMS will generally tell you what version they are based on, a lot at the moment are on Gingerbread 2.3.4 (based off a leaked build, stock SG2 is still 2.3.3) and XKG2 Firmware

They aren't official updates from google, rather they are based on the latest versions google release made by random developers.

If you want to find out about the ROMS just read about them on XDA or view videos on youtube to get an idea.

Hmmm todays battery performance hasnt been stellar.

I took the phone off charge this morning at 7.10 am, its at 37% now at 4pm, i flashed the latest cognition rom last night and calibrated the battery this morning when i took it off charge.

10 minutes of calls, no texts, 30mb of data usage, 40 min of fm radio

That said i had the display on a lot messing around with go launcher, my battery usage says screen 49% android os 13%, go launcher 11% and android system 7%.

Anything odd there or is it literally because ive had the display on for 1hr 50m (according to the battery usage)

That could be right for display but it would depend on lots of things like the colors of your background and different applications.It would use more power on lots of bright colours but would use less on dark colours/lots of black areas

Mega Chin wrote: »
    That could be right for display but it would depend on lots of things like the colors of your background and different applications.It would use more power on lots of bright colours but would use less on dark colours/lots of black areas

its a bright lime green

im guessing black is best

Black doesnt draw any power(just leaves the LEDs off) so it would be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Rooting your phone is the process of modifying the operating system that shipped with your device to grant you complete control over it. Somewhat like Administrator access. This means you can overcome limitations that the carriers and manufacturers put on your phone, extend system functionality, remove samsung apps or install a custom ROM

ROMS are like custom operating systems where the developers have changed/removed/replaced parts or all of the system, and User Interface, and customised parts to give better battery or performance or overclocking and other tweaks etc

The ROMS will generally tell you what version they are based on, a lot at the moment are on Gingerbread 2.3.4 (based off a leaked build, stock SG2 is still 2.3.3) and XKG2 Firmware

They aren't official updates from google, rather they are based on the latest versions google release made by random developers.

If you want to find out about the ROMS just read about them on XDA or view videos on youtube to get an idea.

Thanks Grassey !!

Would there be any point in Rooting and not running the ROM update?
    Presume the phone needs to be unlocked before doing this?

Personally I'd root it, just for the benefit of being able to use a lot of the apps that require superuser access on the market - and also to back up current ROM and data, to remove or freeze applications I don't use like the samsung hubs, and so on that come with the phone that you can't remove otherwise.

A lot of the pre-installed apps run in the background regardless of whether you use them or not and just drain the battery so I just removed them all - they were just bloatware I didn't need.

Just to note - that though rooting the device will void the warranty but un rooting the device will bring back the warranty.

Personally I'd root it, just for the benefit of being able to use a lot of the apps that require superuser access on the market - and also to back up current ROM and data, to remove or freeze applications I don't use like the samsung hubs, and so on that come with the phone that you can't remove otherwise.

A lot of the pre-installed apps run in the background regardless of whether you use them or not and just drain the battery so I just removed them all - they were just bloatware I didn't need.

Just to note - that though rooting the device will void the warranty but un rooting the device will bring back the warranty.

I have the lite ning rom on mine. Does this mean its roted?
    If so how do i delete all the crap like hub etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah flashing litening Rom will have rooted your phone for you.

I used Titanium Backup to remove apps, and bloat freezer just to freeze a few others.

I think someone put up a google docs spreadsheet on one of the other threads with a list of things that can be removed/frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I put Lightening ROM on mine but I see updates available now that you update some other way not by odin. How do I get these updates??

Also when I turn on my phone now there is a yellow warning symbol on the screen. icon4.gif like this.

Is it litening rom 2.0 you installed? If so, download the 2.2 update and follow the instructions I posted in post #35

If it's litening 3.0 I don't think there are any updates yet, but if there are it'd be the same process I assume.

The yellow triangle is a visual warning that you've flashed an unofficial ROM onto the device, you can either remove it by following the advice in this thread on XDA or an easier method is to buy a USB Jig off ebay for about €5 which will remove the triangle and also reset the internal counter, thats the option I went for.

Cheers for that. Is litening rom 3 better???. How do I get that??. I am totally stupid with these things but trying to learn.

It's the latest update on the first post of the Litening thread on XDA, there's a link there for it there somewhere.

3.0 is missing a few of the features in 2.2 - seems rushed and unfinished, I'm holding off until the first 3.x update comes along to see if that fixes it.

It's the latest update on the first post of the Litening thread on XDA, there's a link there for it there somewhere.

3.0 is missing a few of the features in 2.2 - seems rushed and unfinished, I'm holding off until the first 3.x update comes along to see if that fixes it.

Cheers....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Cyrus wrote: »
    its a bright lime green

im guessing black is best

oooh lime green, that's bright.

If you're using cognition you should check out NitrozK's Black Theme, 'cos threre is no light bleed/leak, having a black screen is pretty cool.

Link to his theme

Is it litening rom 2.0 you installed? If so, download the 2.2 update and follow the instructions I posted in post #35

If it's litening 3.0 I don't think there are any updates yet, but if there are it'd be the same process I assume.

The yellow triangle is a visual warning that you've flashed an unofficial ROM onto the device, you can either remove it by following the advice in this thread on XDA or an easier method is to buy a USB Jig off ebay for about €5 which will remove the triangle and also reset the internal counter, thats the option I went for.

Ok thanks I owe you a pint..

With lite'ning 2.2 today I noticed a big difference in battery. Its much better than 2.0.
    I had heavy usage today from 7am, lot of calls using loudspeaker, good bit of browsing, email, whatsapp, facebook.
    heres a pic
    [IMG][/img]Capture111.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I used Titanium Backup to remove apps, and bloat freezer just to freeze a few others.

I think someone put up a google docs spreadsheet on one of the other threads with a list of things that can be removed/frozen.

Here it is again https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/sunbelt.ie/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ag43oj7rLQP4dENZcmhGN0ZUa3pHSENVeXlqUm5vV0E&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Ben

Advertisement