Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If we be pedantic, then considering that the warmest 91 day period in Ireland, on average, is mid-June and mid - September, then that is what the true summer period is. For me, November is a real Autumn month, and while I appreciate that it can be dark and gloomy, this is only because we are just out of summer/early Autumn where long evenings are still fresh in our minds. Today, for example, will have about the same daylight length as a day in very late Jan or early Feb, but by then, we'll already be commenting on how the evenings are beginning to stretch out at last.

What I don't understand is how Feb and March can be classed as 'spring months', even in the old calendar. These two months are amongst the most brutish and grim of the year where death and despair is all encompassing, and I sometimes question whether April should be even classed as a spring month as well, given that there does be little sign of nature springing into life during it and often contains a chill that wouldn't be even felt in the winter.

Things start growing in late Feb and in March they SPRING up …. Grass starts growing. lambs..... snowdrops....

You sound depressed …. ;)

All weathers have their good and harder aspects... never knew a country worse than the UK for talking about the weather until I came to Ireland!
    Just so glad to be still alive myself whatever the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

If we be pedantic, then considering that the warmest 91 day period in Ireland, on average, is mid-June and mid - September, then that is what the true summer period is. For me, November is a real Autumn month, and while I appreciate that it can be dark and gloomy, this is only because we are just out of summer/early Autumn where long evenings are still fresh in our minds. Today, for example, will have about the same daylight length as a day in very late Jan or early Feb, but by then, we'll already be commenting on how the evenings are beginning to stretch out at last.

What I don't understand is how Feb and March can be classed as 'spring months', even in the old calendar. These two months are amongst the most brutish and grim of the year where death and despair is all encompassing, and I sometimes question whether April should be even classed as a spring month as well, given that there does be little sign of nature springing into life during it and often contains a chill that wouldn't be even felt in the winter.

In the US, meteorological summer is actually defined as mid June to mid September AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Graces7 wrote: »

You sound depressed …. ;)

I sound how I see it...

Of course every month has its own beauty, but the claim that Feb and March is 'spring' I just find obscene. Maybe that is down to me living in a particularly bleak part of the country or something, but that's how I see it.

New Moon

I sound how I see it...

Of course every month has its own beauty, but the claim that Feb and March is 'spring' I just find obscene. Maybe that is down to me living in a particularly bleak part of the country or something, but that's how I see it.

That is a terribly inappropriate word. So sorry you feel like that. Where I live is bleak too but by February the daylight is growing and that is Spring in itself. And it is a reality... that lengthening of each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree with this. The sea temperatures are also at their most brutal in February/March.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This november must be the most autumnal november I can remember. Look outside, leaves everywhere. How anyone can call this winter is just ridiculous. Stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

So are we getting snow or wha?

This november must be the most autumnal november I can remember. Look outside, leaves everywhere. How anyone can call this winter is just ridiculous. Stop it.

Will NOT! Out here not a leaf.

November is WINTER! lol....Always has been and always will be!

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So are we getting snow or wha?

Nah not in Winter.

Maybe in Spring 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

November is WINTER!
    I'm sorry Grace, but November is not Winter. Winter (Meteorlogical) is defined by temperature, not daylight length.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Surely we can just stick with meteorological winter in the meteorology forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

ok lets stop the arguing about which month is which aeason.

This morning in wexford was nice - sunny and cold - but now its back to wind and rain:rolleyes:

Absolutely dreadful month so far, just as bad if not worse than summer:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Will NOT! Out here not a leaf.

November is WINTER! lol....Always has been and always will be!

West Mayo offshore

You've said numerous times that there are no trees on your island so of course there are no leaves. There are plenty of trees still full of leaves all around the country.

I'm sorry Grace, :eek: but November is not Winter. Winter (Meteorlogical) is defined by temperature, not daylight length.

But I am not a meteorologist and thus no obligation even on the weather forum to abide by that.

November is winter; has been for the nearly 80 years of my life and will be for whatever rapidly shortening life I have left.

I don't mind what you call November.

But please stop reprimanding others for differing! It serves no purpose .

Not checked further posts but I could forecast the IDs of the line of thanks here and it makes for incredible sadness.

There are abundant tech threads.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    You've said numerous times that there are no trees on your island so of course there are no leaves. There are plenty of trees still full of leaves all around the country.

Good evening, my dear. Hope you are well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first chance of wintry precipitation could be next Saturday, however this is very likely to not verify as zonal wintryness usually get's downgraded to cold rain by the time it happens.

ECMWF_192_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

ECMWF_198_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

ECMWF_204_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

This is basically a sleet/snow to rain event, but this will probably be gone on the next run, however it is the first chart to show wintry potential this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

But I am not a meteorologist and thus no obligation even on the weather forum to abide by that.

November is winter; has been for the nearly 80 years of my life and will be for whatever rapidly shortening life I have left.

I don't mind what you call November.

But please stop reprimanding others for differing! It serves no purpose .

Not checked further posts but I could forecast the IDs of the line of thanks here and it makes for incredible sadness.

There are abundant tech threads.

:pac::pac::pac::pac: FFS - Incredible sadness due to other people disagreeing with you that November is winter. You're an interesting character Grace, i'll give you that much.

As wild a winter's night as ever was.

Deeply thankful for the small lull yesterday that made a window for the shopping to get here as seeing the warnings now.

Deluges loudening on the windows.

West Mayo offshore

mcburns07 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac: FFS - Incredible sadness due to other people disagreeing with you that November is winter. You're an interesting character Grace, i'll give you that much.

No; that so many continue to …. make such a thing of it.. Everyone knows we differ on this, and the combativeness makes me literally weep.

I do not mind that others think differently. At all. . As I have said many of us are not bound by meteorological terms. And to mention " winter" in November becomes a red rag to a bull.

So please; stop! Just stop! Realise that we differ.

Life is so hard just now. Too hard. Let there be peace and enjoyment of what we share. Thank you.

Reversal wrote: »
    Surely we can just stick with meteorological winter in the meteorology forum?

But it is the weather forum... Not the meteorology forum. So many deep and lovely posts on it all too. Has been an awesome discussion! It really has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

ah thank you! Just now the wind here is making such lovely music so will save this for later

"under the weather" here in several senses so signing out and will try to keep weblog going. Be safe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

ah thank you! Just now the wind here is making such lovely music so will save this for later

"under the weather" here in several senses so signing out and will try to keep weblog going. Be safe all.

Speak tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

@Gonzo - definitely a period to watch with frontal zones coming up against cold air that should become reasonably embedded for a time from the north - it depends on orientation and how this interaction takes place but there are at least a couple of opportunities emerging but we need a few days yet to try nail anything down with the forecast. We'll see.

162-7UK.GIF?13-18

162-580UK.GIF?13-18

162-574UK.GIF?13-18

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Last year there was snow on the 13th November.
    A pic came up on my phone from a year ago and it was a decent dusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another dull day here in wexford. Fed up with this. As per usual the south east gets the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

Morning was ok in Wexford, plenty of people walking on Cullenstown strand, even 6 people having a dip in the sea :pac: ,
    Weather is a bit rubbish now though, rain hopping off the window :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This is the Science forum, so scientific facts rule. Yes, we've all been taught about what seasons are but there are so many types of seasons to define: meteorological, astronomical, phenological, religious, etc. Some countries have more than four seasons, some less. In Ireland we are all correct in our definitions, but for this forum, meteorological seasons are what count. In the astronomy forum, it's astronomical, in Farming it's different, in Gardening too.

So let's finally drop the annual debate in this forum and accept that everyone is looking at the word "season" differently, but in here it should be meteorological and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭highdef

This is the Science forum, so scientific facts rule. Yes, we've all been taught about what seasons are but there are so many types of seasons to define: meteorological, astronomical, phenological, religious, etc. Some countries have more than four seasons, some less. In Ireland we are all correct in our definitions, but for this forum, meteorological seasons are what count. In the astronomy forum, it's astronomical, in Farming it's different, in Gardening too.

So let's finally drop the annual debate in this forum and accept that everyone is looking at the word "season" differently, but in here it should be meteorological and that's it.

Here here! I was taught the pagan/celtic calendar but I go by the scientific calendar, as per this section of Boards.

Even if my personal belief was still the pagan/celtic calendar, I would have respect for others here and use the scientific calendar and not try insist that my pagan/calendar is factually true in discussions that are held in this section of Boards.

There's a Christianity section of Boards where people can discuss such matters there. Whilst the posters there may say that winter is November to January and I completely disagree, I respect their beliefs and I don't post in that forum insisting that I am correct and they are completely wrong. It would be extremely disrespectful and rude of me to try force my own beliefs on others in such a manner in that sort of forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

As an horticulturist I don't be bothered with the seasons much apart from the Dormant season and the growing season...
    I'm also a pagan so I just go by the day thats ahead of me.
    It could be may and it feels wintery, December and it feels balmy.

I've worked outside since I was a kid, and it's a different experience and way of living from people indoors.
    I know every tree and shrub personally in the estate.

I love the weather forum, but arguing over the start of a season to me is foreign ;)

Advertisement