Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

This is confusing. Hadn't seen your post until now but having been told by eir they'd have the wiring up to the house (no idea if this was fibre) by December 28 and having seen an eir van out this morning, I called them just there and said the work had been put back with January 31 the revised date with individual house appointments to follow between three and five working days later.

I haven't dealt with Eircom since the 2003 and in 14 years since it's disappointing to see they're still the same shower of useless tools they always been.

Anyway, the line is definitely installed to my house now as then is a black cable in the box where previously there was not. But this is only part of provisioning the service. The guy on the road was simply installing lines to the houses and connecting the two "DT boxes" on the road back to the Fiber cabinets on Phelan Avenue. They may have to run more cables to those Fiber boxes or do something in the main exchange to enable the service.

In case anyone is wondering about mobile broadband, Meteor is consistently about the 9Mbps/300Kps mark on the second floor and full 4G on the top floor. Signal is very ropey on the ground floor. 3/o2 is extremely poor throughout the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

At 4am our bedroom smoke detector started beeping a low-battery alarm every 60 seconds. It's a very piercing noise! Even though they are wired, they need a charged battery too. The ones that they come with are cheap and it's the 2nd one that has gone on us in 4 months, so we are replacing them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 guns_healy

Have people taken the heating guys advice to leave the heating on 24 hours a day to save on bills?

We haven't had a bill since, but looking at the metre it seems to be increasing quite quickly

Obviously the first couple of months it wasn't as cold so the heating wouldnt have needed to work as hard, but taking everything into consideration I can't imagine there will be much savings (if any) by leaving the heating on

Our temperature is set at 20 degrees for downstairs and 18 upstairs which standard I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

You prompted me to go out and check my meter. Based on our reading, compared with the previous bill, we expect to be paying around 95 per month for the Ash. We also keep the temperature steady at all times. Even though the downstairs thermostat is set to 19, the real temperature is around 24 in the kitchen; upstairs everything is 2 degrees lower. We also use the oven, washer and dryer quite heavily. Taking everything into account, the cost appears reasonable for us (I may be biased, though; in my previous Celtic tiger apartment I paid 400 per month in winter, for the privilege of having around 16 degrees at home).

Bruncvik wrote: »
    You prompted me to go out and check my meter. Based on our reading, compared with the previous bill, we expect to be paying around 95 per month for the Ash. We also keep the temperature steady at all times. Even though the downstairs thermostat is set to 19, the real temperature is around 24 in the kitchen; upstairs everything is 2 degrees lower. We also use the oven, washer and dryer quite heavily. Taking everything into account, the cost appears reasonable for us (I may be biased, though; in my previous Celtic tiger apartment I paid 400 per month in winter, for the privilege of having around 16 degrees at home).

A quick calculation for us and it appears our next bill could be over €200. We use the dish washer/washing machine regularly, but not excessive. We try not you use the dryer much.

Now it's a bit guess work at present but I'd be disappointed if out calculations are correct.

• Advertisement

guns_healy wrote: »
    A quick calculation for us and it appears our next bill could be over €200.
    Would that be for the two-month period or monthly? I miscalculated - took into account only the electricity price, and not the daily charge and VAT. Altogether, I now calculate a bill in the area of 240 for a two-month period (930 kWh in a month and a half).

Would that be for the two-month period or monthly? I miscalculated - took into account only the electricity price, and not the daily charge and VAT. Altogether, I now calculate a bill in the area of 240 for a two-month period (930 kWh in a month and a half).

Yes that's a two month period.

Is €240 for two months good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Yes that's a two month period.

Is €240 for two months good value?

As a single bill covering all energy in a house in winter, yes, I think so. Our first three months worked out at €70/month but that's only up to the end of October. We do keep the place ridiculously warm and our headings been on constantly since we first switched it on. I'm also at home all day.

For comparison :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95374395

(Bare in mind that most of those contributing also have oil and gas bills too)

As a single bill covering all energy in a house in winter, yes, I think so. Our first three months worked out at €70/month but that's only up to the end of October. We do keep the place ridiculously warm and our headings been on constantly since we first switched it on. I'm also at home all day.

For comparison :

Thanks PP

That link has shed a bit more light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

For comparison :

I wonder could someone post a breakdown of what's using the elec based on https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/help/efficiency/my-energy-pal

• Advertisement

This is confusing. Hadn't seen your post until now but having been told by eir they'd have the wiring up to the house (no idea if this was fibre) by December 28 and having seen an eir van out this morning, I called them just there and said the work had been put back with January 31 the revised date with individual house appointments to follow between three and five working days later.

Hi,

I read another thread on here about Eircom FTTC service. Apparently there are two parts openeir and eir. Openeir install the infrastructure while eir sell the service. The service is typically only available to order 1 month after it goes live. Then it's 10 to 15 days for a guy to come out.

That fits what you've been told. So if it's live next week. It's maybe March before we have it.

Anyone still have problems with the en suite fan leaking?

After the builders visit last month to insulate the pipe in the attic the problem is still occurring.

We even changed the flexi pipe connecting the fan and after a couple of days it starts to leak again.

I fear the design and lay out of the pipe in the en suite bathroom is causing the problem. It appears the length the water has to travel is too long. Compared to the main bathroom

Our ceiling has become damp and is starting to crumble

We are going to call the builders about the ceiling fan tomorrow. It hasn't leaked for a long time, but we got so much water pouring (not dripping) down the tube between the holidays that the fan may have gotten damaged (it was making a nasty grinding noise before we turned it off). So now that the builders are back, we'll be requesting a fix asap.

We are going to call the builders about the ceiling fan tomorrow. It hasn't leaked for a long time, but we got so much water pouring (not dripping) down the tube between the holidays that the fan may have gotten damaged (it was making a nasty grinding noise before we turned it off). So now that the builders are back, we'll be requesting a fix asap.

Us too. We're very worried about our ceiling now. The dampness is a real concern

We haven't used the shower in the suite in weeks. Apart from when we tested it out after us trying to fix it

Us too. We're very worried about our ceiling now. The dampness is a real concern

We haven't used the shower in the suite in weeks. Apart from when we tested it out after us trying to fix it

Any chance you could post or PM pictures so we know what to look out for. I'll be moving into my new house soon.

Hi

Interestingly enough we have started to see the same issue with the extractor fan in the top floor on suite. Six weeks in before it started. Last night was especially cold so maybe that contributed.

Seems a common complaint. Are people seeing it in the second floor bathroom as well?

We have the two-story Ash, and it's only the en-suite bathroom. We verified that the builders put a lot of insulation around the pipe (they said there was an issue with the water condensing in the exhaust). However, we hear high-frequency clicking from the en-suite bathroom when it's particularly windy outside, and we got all the excess water the morning after the storm Barbara pushed past (we had to close the bathroom door; the clicking was so frequent and loud). I speculate that the exhaust should have some kind of one-way latch for the outgoing steam, and instead on that particular pipe it may be broken and is allowing the wind to push rain inside. That would also explain why we don't get the same noise or water from other exhaust fans, and why this happened after a night with a low of 8C. And why the other pipe that's right next to the en suite pipe doesn't leak, even though it's not insulated.

Anyone dealing with Ballymore on the Help To Buy scheme?

Anyone heard back from their builder or morgage provider yet if they are doing HTB for that matter? Assuming you gave them the application code and access code? I'm curious if they even know what they should be doing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

I am hoping that people who have issues with the extractor fans get them solved soon. As I am moving into a Heron around April I asked Ballymore about the extractor fan issues, Here is the response.

"Regarding the Extractor fans a different option may be used to solve this issue regarding an outlet being installed through the soffit however you do not need to worry about this as it will not affect your house type."

Nhol78 wrote: »
    I am hoping that people who have issues with the extractor fans get them solved soon. As I am moving into a Heron around April I asked Ballymore about the extractor fan issues, Here is the response.

"Regarding the Extractor fans a different option may be used to solve this issue regarding an outlet being installed through the soffit however you do not need to worry about this as it will not affect your house type."

We've a normal mid terrace Herron. But the problem we're seeing is no were near as bad as what has been described above.

• Advertisement

What are the opening hours for the gym? I've been told a few different versions.

Arbie wrote: »
    What are the opening hours for the gym? I've been told a few different versions.

The existing one or the new one that's supposed to get built at some stage?

cronos wrote: »
    The existing one or the new one that's supposed to get built at some stage?

The current one on Camden Avenue.

Arbie wrote: »
    The current one on Camden Avenue.

Anyone have any pics of the gym. I can't find what it looks like. Just curious. No worries if nobody has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Some questions for those in the know,

How is the management fee assessed, I enquired about it for a Heron and the 'lady' from Sherry Fitz was somewhat evasive about it.
    She kind of mentioned that it takes the garden square footage into account.. but why the hell would that be the case, surely that is something you are to maintain yourself?

Also, how is the Guest parking being operated, and how many Guest spaces are available.
    Its a real pain that every second house has 1 or 2 spaces.
    I believe at some time in the past they mentioned that you get 1.5 spaces for a 1 space house.

How is the management fee assessed, I enquired about it for a Heron and the 'lady' from Sherry Fitz was somewhat evasive about it.
    She kind of mentioned that it takes the garden square footage into account.. but why the hell would that be the case, surely that is something you are to maintain yourself?

Also, how is the Guest parking being operated, and how many Guest spaces are available.
    I believe at some time in the past they mentioned that you get 1.5 spaces for a 1 space house.

Well I think you get 1 space and a footpath that let's you walk into your house. I'm guessing they are counting the footpath as .5 of a space. I think the other's get 2.5 spaces. 2 car parking spaces and a footpath. But I stand to be corrected on that.

I agree it's awkward having just the one space. They could easily have just got rid of the flower bed and had 2 parking spaces for everyone, but I guess they wanted to make it look fancier I guess.

Hi

You should contact the management company directly on what the fee will be. Sherry Fitz provided completely inaccurate information on this to us previously.BTW its the same company as the apartments.

With regards guest parking, as far as I can see there is none reserved. The five spaces on phelan are pretty must always occupied. Parking is extremely problematic.

cronos wrote: »
    Well I think you get 1 space and a footpath that let's you walk into your house. I'm guessing they are counting the footpath as .5 of a space. I think the other's get 2.5 spaces. 2 car parking spaces and a footpath. But I stand to be corrected on that.

I agree it's awkward having just the one space. They could easily have just got rid of the flower bed and had 2 parking spaces for everyone, but I guess they wanted to make it look fancier I guess.

I think the number of spaces was a planning restriction.
    The way it was previously explained to me by the EA was that the .5 was a share of a visitor space (the specifics of such implementation were not forthcoming).

It does help the avenue look more appealing by reducing the number of cars, but the point still stands that on occasion I may have a visitor of some kind who needs a space, such as today when I needed a space for a community midwife visit. Or if friends were to stay the night. I don't need the space for the other 300+ days of the year.. so the idea of a visitor space didn't sound so unworkable in principle.. but its the "in practice" that I am trying to discover from the EA or on here. its quite frustrating trying to make a decision without all the information.

I think the number of spaces was a planning restriction.
    The way it was previously explained to me by the EA was that the .5 was a share of a visitor space (the specifics of such implementation were not forthcoming).

It does help the avenue look more appealing by reducing the number of cars, but the point still stands that on occasion I may have a visitor of some kind who needs a space, such as today when I needed a space for a community midwife visit. Or if friends were to stay the night. I don't need the space for the other 300+ days of the year.. so the idea of a visitor space didn't sound so unworkable in principle.. but its the "in practice" that I am trying to discover from the EA or on here. its quite frustrating trying to make a decision without all the information.

Well, I can tell you that none of the contracts mention anything specific about the visitor parking. At least the one's I've read and I've already purchased. You just see a drawing of a square around your own parking space and are told you don't own it but are leasing it I believe.

I suspect it could be getting used as car parking space for workers at that take away or by people in the apartments. I'd be curious if it was getting enforced as visitor parking.

• Advertisement

Manion wrote: »
    Hi

You should contact the management company directly on what the fee will be. Sherry Fitz provided completely inaccurate information on this to us previously.BTW its the same company as the apartments.

Can you send me the contact details, otherwise I will check back through the thread to see if I can find them previously mentioned.
    Manion wrote: »
    With regards guest parking, as far as I can see there is none reserved. The five spaces on phelan are pretty must always occupied. Parking is extremely problematic.

I was hoping this would not be the case, but it does help my decision. Thanks.

Advertisement