Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best clubs for Techno music in Dublin

Options
  • 10-04-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭

what re the best night clubs for Techno/electronic music in Dublin at the moment, not for gigs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

• Registered Users Posts: 7 opiusevents

keithkk16 wrote: »
    They're all hotels now

Hotels are taking over Dublin right now. **** all great clubs remain left at this stage for some quality techno and house. Button, 39/40, Wah Wah and Tengu are the last of what remains of the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

Unfortunately the Irish Club scene is dead ever since the hotels took over. It was an outlet for a lot of us and now I see more and more young people getting in trouble with the law purely out of boredom and nothing to do in this city anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There are still places, district 8, index etc. There will always be ravers looking to see a good DJ.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There are still places, district 8, index etc. There will always be ravers looking to see a good DJ.

That 100% yet I find myself more and more going abroad to events like ADE/Amsterdam Dance Event etc. It's completely different in other countries, different vibe, more chances to meet interesting people who aren't all yoked up before the set even starts.

For e.g., I met amazing US friends at ADE 2017 and then in the summer of the next year we went to Movement Detroit for a week. Best experience of my entire life. None of my friends here are even remotely interested in leaving the country let alone travel to gigs all the way up in Swords. Shame really.

• Advertisement

lol its swords not the north pole. just go on your own, you always meet really sound randomers at raves in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Belfast club scene > Dublin club scene

I don't understand how it's better with the DUP calling all the shots there, but it works. The Mayor of Belfast is very sound and that's what makes me think why the Belfast scene is doing so well atm. I live in Donegal and try and get to at least one gig every month in Belfast. You were spoilt for choice in Belfast before corona virus came along.

I don't understand how it's better with the DUP calling all the shots there, but it works. The Mayor of Belfast is very sound and that's what makes me think why the Belfast scene is doing so well atm. I live in Donegal and try and get to at least one gig every month in Belfast. You were spoilt for choice in Belfast before corona virus came along.

Exactly, I have AVA Festival lined up but obviously it’s not safe anymore to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Indeed. I was in Thompsons Garage 2 years ago, places like that just don't exist in Dublin any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but instead of creating a new one. What is Index like as a venue? Was thinking of going sometime but as a 30-odd year old I'd be worried about being surrounded by a bunch of teenagers and feeling completely out of place!

• Advertisement

is there any gigs coming up for index?

it isn't great as a venue but there is only 1 bar so not easy to get a drink. awful smoking area that isn't really a smoking area (no ventilation). was charged 8 euro to put my coat in the cloakroom once. haven't been there in a few years though so maybe it has changed.

Post edited by pgj2015 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

It's not a great venue. It's a weird space. They changed the layout. It used to be long and narrow but they moved the dj booth and now it's a really wide dancefloor. 1 bar isn't great either. It's grand, just not a patch on TP.

I was at Mills a few months back and the cloakroom was an absolute joke. They shut it around midnight as it was full. I did eventually get my jacket in and then had to wait 45 mins after the gig to get it back, the queue was insane. But it's not like there's any choice left on where to go clubbing.

I wouldn't be worried about the age thing. I'm older than you and there were lots of older people. It was far from all teenagers. If you were thinking of going, just go.

edit: I just remembered your one in the cloakroom never gave me back my change from a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

If the cloakroom is the worst thing about it, I'll take my chances!

I was in District 8 before when it was at the Tivoly and found that the bar was always free because most people were on something else! Long queues for the cubicles though...

The age profile was a lot younger that I expected as well. I just hung out at the back with my own age group!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I was going to try and post something in "clubbing events" but saw this thread.

Haven't been to a dance event since covid, which is crazy to think about, it's literally been years.

Looked at the roster for my only local club, horrible. Plus their clientele are literally school leavers. I could get away with that up until recently'ish I felt, but honestly going there now I don't know.

I've been twitter bombing the Armada social media page looking for a Simon Patterson V Will Atkinson back to back anywhere in southern Ireland but, they're not complying to my demands.

Some spots in Belfast look awesome but it is really out of my way.

There's got to be something lined up for somewhere in Dublin at some pont?

In physics we trust....

Anyone else see this?

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/itf-proudly-presents-scot-project-paul-denton-plus-support-tickets-271972736777

Irish Trance Family, I wasn't even aware such a thing existed.

Not super familiar with Scott Project but Paul Denton does some pretty awesome tech trance.

26th of March, Button Factory Temple Bar.

In physics we trust....

Trance Girls UK have come to Ireland for events like this in the past,

https://www.instagram.com/trancegirlsuk/?hl=en

Be nice to see them getting behind this event and encouraging more events around Dublin.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Advertisement