Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plastic nightmare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s a sickening story.
    We’ve become scaringly reliant on plastic.

There needs to be a huge push to ban all non recyclable plastics.

Humans need to use their purchasing power and avoid excessively packaged goods.

More local small stores selling locally grown produce, there are some fantastic people doing fruit/veg boxes with recyclable wooden boxes and no plastic on the food, it’s great, we just need to support them and encourage more.

Here’s a guy in Drogheda doing lovely looking veg boxes. Sadly I’m too far outside his catchment area.

https://twitter.com/BrendanGuinan?s=17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

There is a small shop local to me called Small Changes doing their bit to reduce packaging and seem to be well supported anytime I have been in, (Thursday and Saturday when they get their Tar Tine sour dough delivery). You can buy spices, washing up liquids, hand soaps etc. just bring your own containers.

Even the Tar Tine bread comes in compostible packaging, the proper compostible that can go in the brown bin, not the sort that requires commercial composting which has to be separated at the processing plant.

Despite the additional cost they appear to be succeeding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like small changes and the restaurant next to it, Shouk. Really good hummus. Need more shops like that, but really we need the supermarkets/suppliers to just use less of it. There is another no waste shop in Phibsboro called Noms and there is the Dublin food coop in kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Shouk is good, I have had both good and slightly disappointing dishes there. I say slightly disappointing as it was more a case of me not being enthuastic about taste or a texture while friends found the same dish to be good.

Chickpeas are my least favorite legume, so I usually avoid tasting hummus.

Perhaps a tax on single use packaging might spur some sort of change from the supermarkets and shoppers in the same way the tax on plastic bags make us rapidly change to reusable or “bag for life” bags.

I like small change’s reusable shopping bags, the artwork changes from time to time and they have a charity bag with a % going to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

All packaging is/could be barcoded and should be returned to the producer, especially plastic, unless it’s certified genuinely compostable; this will entail a (part?) refundable deposit on every piece of such packaging to discourage littering/flytipping.

REPAK should be dismantled - it was never going to work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

My misses was running a zero waste stall in a market here last year.

The vast majority of people just aren’t interested. They were more interested in buying junk food instead.

Tilikum17 wrote: »

The vast majority of people just aren’t interested. They were more interested in buying junk food instead.

Yea. Sadly most seem happy with cheap nasty fast food style lifestyle with little regard fror themselves, others nor the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Tilikum17 wrote: »

The fresh/loose food shop in Ennis (Meanwell) are very much into people re-using containers and bags. I’ve suggested they also let people leave their unwanted carriers for others to use.

You can even get Engervita B12 flakes loose there btw. :p

Advertisement