Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No gifts for wedding?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Surely going to the trouble of putting No Gifts on the invite actually means "No Gifts" - not, "some vouchers or cash please"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We got married abroad and put this on our invites as we knew a lot of people (particularly my side) would need to travel. We still got a lot of gifts - maybe not the same as if we had got married in Ireland. Some lovely Gifts but mostly Cash.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I usually assume it's a carefully worded polite way of saying cash only.

There was only one time a couple I know were adamant that they didn't want gifts OR cash - they were both married before, each had their own homes before moving in with each other so had two of everything already. They asked for guests to upload their photos of the day to their drop box as a gift.

Any money they did get from people who felt it odd not to give something, the thank you email mentioned that the cash gifts have been donated to a charity chosen by the bride and groom.

I'm going to ask for no gifts -card or cash. I've no doubt that I'll be ignored by some of the guests on that one but I genuinely feel that they have enough expense as it is to attend and we only planned a wedding we could afford ourselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I will probably never marry, for most of my life it wasn't an option anyway so I never gave it much thought, and I generally don't enjoy weddings anyway. But if I did I would definitely do the no gifts or cash route. I just wouldn't want anything, I don't like being given things anyway and obviously it takes the expense off your guests.

It also takes a dilemma away for some people. I remember in my old job being landed with collecting the money for one of the girls who was getting married (I was the person who always ended up doing this whenever there was a leaving-do or wedding etc) and half the staff wanted to get her a gift and half of them wanted to give her the money, including myself because I knew she could do with it more. Ended up splitting it, putting half in a card and buying a folding clock/picture frame thing after traipsing round town for an afternoon looking for something that would please everyone... and just as I knew they would, a couple of people still weren't happy with the gift.

"Hmmm Wiggle, I don't know."
    "About what, Mary?"
    "I wouldn't have got her that. I would have got her a nice set of wine glasses."
    "There's nothing f*cking stopping you, Mary, if you want to get her some wine glasses go on ahead, she'll be delighted"
    ;)

I love the photos in dropbox idea, that's clever and creative and the people who are inclined to feel like they need to give something can still feel like they did something nice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We were just at a foreign wedding (Irish couple) that asked for no gifts. We couldn't do it! Got them a generous voucher for a high end restaurant they both like. We were so relieved we did it as we were wined and dined for three days.

Our own was low key and non bling. Whilst people were very generous it wasn't a cash cow wedding. I find them a bit gouache.

• Advertisement
Advertisement