Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTB Determanation

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

duskyjoe wrote: »
    u could fix the shower yourself and deduct same off rent if he doesn’t fix it. Re the grass , is there a clause in the lease re the grass as otherwise this is usually the remit of the tenant. Reporting your landlord to the RTB for a shower not fixed in a week deserves total derision. Reporting the landlord is a big issue and you made it that out of something small.

Unless the tenant agrees, the landlord is responsible for the grass and the exterior generally.

It's not unusual to find that it's a condition of the lease that the tenant maintains lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Hi, as some may know my landlord has not been paying attention to me as a tenant. I took the case to the rtb and he promised he'd start paying attention but the rtb fined him and he had to pay the fine to me.

Anyhow, since then he still has not cut the grass yet or gave me equipment to do so. And more importantly the shower has been broken since last week 18th of March and he keeps saying I'll get it fixed etc.. But I still have no damn shower!

What can I do this time because this is getting ridiculous now and too childish.

Just out of interest how long have you been living in your property? Most contracts says you have to maintain the gardens if you are provided with tools to do so. To say the landlord has not cut the grass do you have a forest in the garden and why would you not look after it? You are definately not getting a reference from this landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

Well he's not doing neither. I said to him give me the tools and I'll take care of it myself, he hasn't provided that. I told him at least you maintain it, he still hasn't responded. The back garden literally looks like a scene out of a Western movie.

I solved the shower issue with him though, just thought I'd note that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Well he's not doing neither. I said to him give me the tools and I'll take care of it myself, he hasn't provided that. I told him at least you maintain it, he still hasn't responded. The back garden literally looks like a scene out of a Western movie.

Do you not see the wood from the trees here- your landlord is de facto trying to get rid of you. Yes a shower is a basic need and is a requirement to be serviceable - long grass with the RTB i do t think will wash . Reporting your landlord has turned your relationship caustic imo and are you surprised ? Reporting a landlord to the RTB is a serious move and huge implications attached. That landlord wants you out now and will make life for you as awkward as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

OP, get a plumber to fix the shower and deduct the cost from the rent as another poster said. The LL is just going to drag his feet.

OP, get a plumber to fix the shower and deduct the cost from the rent as another poster said. The LL is just going to drag his feet.

1) the OP has sorted the shower issue.

2) withholding rent is not a good idea without the landlords agreement. Legally the landlord would be entitled to count the deduction as rent arrears which could give grounds for the tenancy to be terminated.

Mod Note

please don't suggest withholding rent. Several posts deleted.

Hi everyone once again. I didn't want to start a new thread as it wasn't necessary. As you all know my landlord agreed to fix the issues I had asked for during the RTB hearing back in January. Until now, he hasn't done a single thing that he promised. The house needs the grass cut or at least for him to give me the equipment to do it myself, he hasn't done it. The pipe outside needs to be fixed he hasn't done it.After paying the rent to him he promised receipts, he hasn't done that either. He promised to put a cooking hood in the kitchen and until now still nothing.

I keep writing to him about it but he doesn't seem to care a single bit. Is there anything I can do about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi everyone once again. I didn't want to start a new thread as it wasn't necessary. As you all know my landlord agreed to fix the issues I had asked for during the RTB hearing back in January. Until now, he hasn't done a single thing that he promised. The house needs the grass cut or at least for him to give me the equipment to do it myself, he hasn't done it. The pipe outside needs to be fixed he hasn't done it.After paying the rent to him he promised receipts, he hasn't done that either. He promised to put a cooking hood in the kitchen and until now still nothing.

I keep writing to him about it but he doesn't seem to care a single bit. Is there anything I can do about this?

Leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Weren't you supposed to be looking for somewhere else to rent anyway? Though you do seem to change your details from post to post.

Weren't you supposed to be looking for somewhere else to rent anyway? Though you do seem to change your details from post to post.

Yes I am looking for a place and I am to move out in about 3 months, but in the meantime I am still his tenant. I am paying rent to him and he is supposed to keep up with his obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes I am looking for a place and I am to move out in about 3 months, but in the meantime I am still his tenant. I am paying rent to him and he is supposed to keep up with his obligations.

Bring a case against him again and you may be compensated depending on how bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Bring a case against him again and you may be compensated depending on how bad.

your having a laugh....

op. i’m not saying your wrong but by hauling your landlord through the RTB, he was never going to do a tap for you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭airy fairy

So obviously you've alternative accommodation made if you're leaving in 3 months.
    I suggest suck it up and then leave.
    Uncut grass on someone else's property isn't something you should get your knickers in a knot over if you're leaving anyway.
    Let the grass grow, spend your energy on packing.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

This guy gives all us ll a bad name

-No shower - Min requirement
    -Uncut grass - This may not be a minimum requirement so may not receive compensation for this - I dont understand why someone wouldnt to provide someone a lawnmower to manage their property though. You can get a manual lawn mower for 50e(25 net)
    -Extraction hood - is the hood you currently have not working? Potentially not a min requirement though
    -Rent receipts - he is not obligated to provide this if you have a lease and money is being transfer electronically - I actually had a tenant in the past that disputed this with me when i had to do some research on this.

I dont know how you have survived this long with out a shower. Personally i would just move as he is not obeying the law and he is playing a very dodgy game by not listening to the RTB.

Make a note of all your communications with the ll since the RTB order. Try and communicate via text,email or post if you can. Raise another dispute with the same ll for compensation again. The ll is failing to obey the basic rights once and by still not obeying them, the RTB will take a very dim view of this again.

You have already soured relations (impossible to avoid here anyway). Already raised a dispute with RTB that can jeopardize your name towards future potential ll however doing the same thing again cant make it any worse that your current situation. The worst that can happen by submitting a second RTB dispute is you loose nothing, the best outcome is that you receive a few thousand in compensation.

These people need to be removed from the industry as they dont know what they are doing.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. The thing is, I'm not looking for compensation at all as that does absolutely nothing for me. I just want the landlord to do what I ask as he promised at the court.

Just a quick question. If I do raise a dispute with him again and then after that he emails me and says, I'll fix stuff up for you and he does it, do I have to cancel my dispute?

OP, given you appear to be having almost constant problems with your landlord, I'd recommend you seek specific, qualified, independent legal advice.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone. I am currently writing this from emergency accommodation as my landlord had served me a notice of termination and I wasn't able to secure a property.

Anyhow, my landlord swore an oath that he wants the apartment for his relative who is moving back to Ireland from Australia.

My old neighbour's are telling me that his relative isn't the one who has moved in and that he has actually given the apartment to someone else altogether.

Just wondering, is that possible for him to do that even though he swore an oath that his brother would be moving in and now someone else instead of him has moved in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement