Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Billboards from around the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    The only person that seems to give a toss about her statement is you.I’m just delighted I was right.Good stuff!!!

ms higgins who runs the govegan movement promoting these very adverts :eek: or is it that her statement is exactly what it is or maybe is it that right lies somewhere twixt ms higgins and bus spotting? Who knows ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

gozunda wrote: »
    ms higgins who runs the govegan movement promoting these very adverts :eek: or is it that statement is exactly what it is or maybe is it that right lies somewhere twixt ms higgins and bus spotting? Who knows ....

That sentence makes my brain hurt.

That sentence makes my brain hurt.

No worries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dublin, this weekend:

bHLMj0n.jpg

• Advertisement

Dublin, this weekend:..

Tar where in Dublin do you know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

O'Connell/Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On cork city buses as well, saw one in Douglas..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Here's the headline put out about the bus advert thing ...

2smtjw.jpg

Saw another bus today with one on the way home from work. Thought they might just be running them for January.....

• Advertisement

Another

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Another
    Do vegans actually realise shearing sheep is a good thing and needs to be done?

Look at this monster!

Shearing done right, no harm to the sheep. This is how its done in Ireland. My mate had 130 sheep sheared last time, guess how much blood there was... ill give ya a hint, none.

Why waist this wool? Its a great natural product and is one of the best insulators out there. The price the fsrmer gets goes towards the cost of shesring and keeping tge sheep healthy but letsnot let facts get in the way of the permanently outraged....

https://youtu.be/s5kgWpbF6xQ

https://youtu.be/XqvHLiuKvdo

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Funny how, before humans came along, sheep must’ve suffered enormously. :rolleyes:

Funny how, before humans came along, sheep must’ve suffered enormously. :rolleyes:

So just let sheep now suffer because of what used to be a long time ago? Really? That's nice.

You simply stop breeding the species that have been mutated into breeding excess wool. If there are sheep that are around and need to be helped, they can be, it doesn't give people carte blanche to breed millions of them and then say, oh well they NEED it, I'm just such a good Samaritan.

You simply stop breeding the species that have been mutated into breeding excess wool. If there are sheep that are around and need to be helped, they can be, it doesn't give people carte blanche to breed millions of them and then say, oh well they NEED it, I'm just such a good Samaritan.

No - you do not simply stop the necessary shearing sheep or even exterminate a breed of animal because it does not sit nicely with the beliefs of a minority. Sheep are a breed of animal which provides a souce of clothing, milk and yes even meat to many indiginous peoples around the world. Sheep are also responsible for helping maintaining upland habitats and benefit lots of other wildlife. And yes they are part of farming and at the present time, sheep farming appears to be doing well.

I note you advocate 'helping' sheep by shearing in some future scenario but for some reason deny the same welfare in the present when used by those who care for sheep. As for musing on 'mutations'- a little research is a good thing.
    (Even) Primitive sheep can be shorn, but many can have their wool plucked out by hand in a process called "rooing". Rooing helps to leave behind the coarse fibers called kemps which are still longer than the soft fleece. The fleece may also be collected from the field after it falls out naturally. This rooing trait survives today in unrefined breeds such as the Soay and many Shetlands. Indeed, the Soay, along with other Northern European breeds with short tails, naturally rooing fleece, diminutive size, and horns in both sexes, are closely related to ancient sheep

It remains that modern breeds of sheep need to be shorn - even where that fleece does not have a market. Theres no 'samaritan' about it . Or maybe the future with modern genetics is one of naked sheep with nylon and fleece overcoats? Would that be acceptable if the 'excess wool' is not needed and is being campaigned against by a small number of interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

so let dogs and cats out in the elements where they evolved to be

Complete non sequitur.

Complete non sequitur.

I believe it makes a point.

It remains that ad campaign is to bully people into believing not buying wool will help sheep.

Maybe even attempting to "pull the wool over their eyes' as you will ;)

When the fact is sheep that have to be shorn whether or not their wool is sold or goes into production as clothing or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The ‘milk comes from a grieving mother’
    Apart from milk and meat, what use are cows and cattle?

How much greenhouse gases would be eliminated without them?

or
    the_syco wrote: »
    Apart from milk and meat, what use are humans?

How much greenhouse gases would be eliminated without them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Complete non sequitur.

In what way?

or

"Apart from milk and meat, what use are humans?

How much greenhouse gases would be eliminated without them?"

So following that logic and as in the case of farm and other domestic animals (which it had been suggested should all be got rid of thru 'not breeding them') - humans therefore should stop breeding as they are also unnatural and of no use?

Well that's that sorted then. Nobody needs to turn vegan at all - we'll just get rid of the main problem - humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

or
    So your solution to make everyone go vegan is by killing off the vegans?

Typical, no real response because you know im right. We dont live back then, we live now and like it or not sheep NEED to be sheared. Do you disagree?

aaakev wrote: »
    Typical, no real response because you know im right. We dont live back then, we live now and like it or not sheep NEED to be sheared. Do you disagree?

See TA’s answer above.

the_syco wrote: »
    So your solution to make everyone go vegan is by killing off the vegans?

You were stating that a species has a ‘use’. None do, it’s an common error. There’s symbiosis, but that’s slightly different.

I was obliquely pointing out that no species has a ‘use’ in the context you imply.

See TA’s answer above.
    Not an option, we use them so have a duty to look after them which involves shearing. Should we stop breading dogs that need haircuts too??

• Advertisement

Not an option, we use them so have a duty to look after them which involves shearing. Should we stop breading dogs that need haircuts too??

Of course TA's answer is an option! Read it again and understand what it says:

And to your second question, yes.

You're on a veg*n forum. The prevailing preference amongst vegans is spelled out in TA's response. Reply to that, rather than my sarky answers - TA has far more patience than I.

Advertisement