Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a rural county councillor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Did you watch Val Falvey TD?
    How true to life was this production?

Is it useful to learn Latin as a councillor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Isn't it time to move away from HAP and actually build council housing?When are your government going to realise that private sector rental is not the soloution to low income housing need?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Poster up above asked about Presidential nominations. I'd also like to add to this question. Or maybe I'm just asking in a different way - apologies if so.

Presuming the council votes yes/no on individuals and majority rules?

How do you vote? Do you judge the person i.e. base your decision on whether you want to see them elected or do you think everyone who wants to should get a chance?

For example I believe a candidate known as Mr X is putting himself forward with the promise of banning all mosques and marching on Downing Street and demanding a United Ireland. This is a genuine candidate and not a hypothetical.

Would you:

A. Vote against him because he's obviously a headbanger and you don't want him in the Aras - I'm presuming you don't agree with him ;)

B. Vote for his nomination so the people can decide for themselves

Thanks for the AMA by the way. Very interesting and refreshingly bull**** free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Sorry, few more questions...

1. Have you ever witnessed or been involved in any "**** you, Deputy Stagg" type scenarios at council meetings? Are you able to give details? Obviously not looking for specifics which may identify you or your council.

2. Is your council twinned with any foreign councils? Have you been on any junkets? If so, how was it? Boring meetings and tours of French cheese makers while staying at an Ibis or a few days of fine eating and drinking in fancy hotels?

3. Do you get on with your fellow councillors outside of party politics?

4. Ever lost or been threatened with removal of the party whip? Or abstained or voted against the party line due to personal choice?

5. Are you an actual Boards user or were you approached to sign up specifically for this AMA?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Collie D wrote: »
    Poster up above asked about Presidential nominations. I'd also like to add to this question. Or maybe I'm just asking in a different way - apologies if so.

How do you vote? Do you judge the person i.e. base your decision on whether you want to see them elected or do you think everyone who wants to should get a chance?

For example I believe a candidate known as Mr X is putting himself forward with the promise of banning all mosques and marching on Downing Street and demanding a United Ireland. This is a genuine candidate and not a hypothetical.

Would you:

A. Vote against him because he's obviously a headbanger and you don't want him in the Aras - I'm presuming you don't agree with him ;)

I don't want to go OT or hijack the thread in any way (I can continue this by PM if preferred) but Candidate X will not be considered by any council; if C/X wants to make a presentation then s/he will have to remove their cloak of anonymity; if they want to be taken credibly and are proud of their p.o.v. then they need to reveal themselves.

I've read his, and I don't think it's a huge leap to assume the gender of the individual, manifesto, I'm presuming it's doing the rounds of all councils and it's bat s**t crazy; mind you I heard from a real life presidential candidate @ a council meeting today and well, there's clearly a pair of 'em in it.

(Fwiw I'd be going with B; a bit like Senators & TDs who, although they were voting no in RT8th Referendum at least didn't vote to deny people the right to vote.)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a rural county councillor, AMA

p15574 wrote: »
    1. Do you have a long term plan in politics, eg going on to become a TD?
    2. What would you think of a "list" system, ie where councillors take care of the parish pump stuff and TDs are elected on a solely national level?
    1. Do you have a long term plan in politics, eg going on to become a TD?

I think I kinda answered that in a different post but, very simply if the timing was right and I was the right person for the job... yes.... but am I actively working to hopefully someday become a TD?.... no I am not.

2. What would you think of a "list" system, ie where councillors take care of the parish pump stuff and TDs are elected on a solely national level?

I think that's a good idea and it's not dissimilar to how things are at the moment.

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a rural county councillor, AMA

Are you expected to go to party shindigs?

Are you given any training as part of the party? eg media training

Who is your boss? How many layers of people are there between you and Leo?

Have you met him and or/other big cheeses in the party? Who impresses you most in the party and in Irish politics generally and likewise, who have you not been impressed with?

Can you share the last bit of political gossip you heard? ;)
    Are you expected to go to party shindigs?

Not sure what you mean here? There are branch/district/constituency meetings to attend, you go when you can. Then there's the Ard fheis which can be an experience! But other than an occasional fundraiser, there's no party shindigs as such?

Are you given any training as part of the party? eg media training

I wasn't given any media training, (But I have a degree in journalism) I'm sure it's a facility the party would provide if you really wanted but there's nothing mandatory or minimum.

Who is your boss? How many layers of people are there between you and Leo?

I had to actually think about this... I guess to think of it as having a "Boss" is wrong. The electorate is my boss, ya know? But you'd work closely with TD's and take a certain amount of guidance from them. I would have to say while there looks like three layers between a councillor and Leo, he is unbelievably approachable, and I have no issue saying there are literally no layers. If I needed to speak to him, I'm sure I could, and have.

Have you met him and or/other big cheeses in the party? Who impresses you most in the party and in Irish politics generally and likewise, who have you not been impressed with?

First met Leo when he was min for transport, then when he was in health and hope to meet him soon. Really nice guy, quite shy (despite what people say about him loving the media) he's pretty witty too! I've met every FG minister and TD with the exception of maybe 3 TD's.

Who impresses me most? Leo is a phenomenal man, Pascal Donohoe speaking at events is a genius and totally underrated. Eoghan Murphy is very good too, knows the brief and is genuinely eager to build houses and reform local govt. Richard Bruton is good too and what he has done in education is great so far. Regiina Doherty is superb too unbelievably contactable. Simon Harris will fix health if the civil servants will let him too!

Now if you mean what are they like when they're not being ministers, well, that'd be telling. Actually, Enda Kenny, on a night out would have an entire pub eating out of his hand. Gas man.

I sound biased if I say the only ones who don't impress me but the TD's who get away with murder by jumping on any popular bandwagon drive me nuts. We could all do that. Dicks.

Can you share the last bit of political gossip you heard?

Ah you hear things all the time, cross party relationships that kind of thing but in terms of political gossip the best lately is that O'Cuiv wants the presidency whether it causes a leadership contest in FF or not!

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Did you watch Val Falvey TD?
    How true to life was this production?

Is it useful to learn Latin as a councillor?
    Not gonna lie, this is the first time I've ever heard of this Val Falvey, had to google it.

Will give a look (when I get a chance) and come back to you.

In terms of Latin? I have never used it, nor do I know any, haven't needed it yet either, but you never know!

Isn't it time to move away from HAP and actually build council housing?When are your government going to realise that private sector rental is not the soloution to low income housing need?
    Well, if you took away HAP in the morning you'd probably treble the housing list.

Your second line is just typical of the bull**** commentary we see every day. There is literally no way to build houses any faster than it is being done. Why?

Well,

The biggest problem we actually face in house building is that the level and scale of builders and tradesmen we need are just not there. Presumably still abroad, driven there by reckless bad government over a 20 year period! So for the local authorities to employ builders to build houses would take just as long to do as it is currently taking councils to tender builds to contractors.

Secondly, planning, nimbyism, and people trying to game the system are big issues but sadly all we see on the news is the extreme cases.

I've seen it in two separate councils where houses were brought to council for consideration, councillors all in favour and then the neighbours, and voters realised where the houses were going and "Oh no, no social housing near me" and in both councils who were the first two parties back in to get the planned housing stopped..... Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein! You couldn't make it up!!!

They cry build houses and have no guts to face their electorate for the greater good!

• Very good AMA.

In terms of housing, how are the new type of development proposals perceived by rural councils such as converted shipping containers, log cabins, modular homes, co living, etc?

Do you feel these solutions could help ease what is a huge crisis?

Also how do you feel about the level of vacant and/or bank owned houses which are currently unoccupied while the prospect of ownership is pretty much out of reach for many young Irish people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Whoa a political AMA, interesting stuff already, ill throw in my few cents.

You have mentioned earlier that Sinn Fein can actually be ok to work with, in your opinion do you think it is possible for a government to be formed with them?

Do you believe there is any hope of SF providing a decent level of committment and delivering on tangible change within the country, outside of the obvious drum beating for United Ireland?

How do you think Brexit will affect how counsellors will be able to do their work based on economic and social changes that will occur?

Do you or other party members have any belief that maybe we are better joining the UK in leaving EU, maybe even forming an economic union seperately with them?

Should we be spending money on the POPEs visit or do you think it should be funded purely by the church? Will we EVER see victims of church abuse get the payouts that are due to them?

Trump or no Trump, should we be entertaining this clown here?

Cake or Pie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

What due diligence is done and what checks are in place to ensure the people who need to be housed (single parents etc) are not gaming the system, and if they are gaming the system, what is being done to bring them to task.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Well, if you took away HAP in the morning you'd probably treble the housing list.

Your second line is just typical of the bull**** commentary we see every day. There is literally no way to build houses any faster than it is being done. Why?

Well,

The biggest problem we actually face in house building is that the level and scale of builders and tradesmen we need are just not there. Presumably still abroad, driven there by reckless bad government over a 20 year period! So for the local authorities to employ builders to build houses would take just as long to do as it is currently taking councils to tender builds to contractors.

Secondly, planning, nimbyism, and people trying to game the system are big issues but sadly all we see on the news is the extreme cases.

I've seen it in two separate councils where houses were brought to council for consideration, councillors all in favour and then the neighbours, and voters realised where the houses were going and "Oh no, no social housing near me" and in both councils who were the first two parties back in to get the planned housing stopped..... Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein! You couldn't make it up!!!

They cry build houses and have no guts to face their electorate for the greater good!

I don't believe either that houses can be built any faster,speaking as someone who has an acutely understanding in the difficulties of home building, a lot deeper understanding I'd suggest than you have AMA.
    However there does seem to be very little appetite from this government ti build social housing.
    In the interim a big effort should be put into restoring the huge number of voids in the 3 largest urban areas Dublin, Cork and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I suspect many politicians struggle to understand the complex workings of our financial systems, in particular matters such money creation, it also disturbes me that governments have an over reliance on constructs such as 'the market', to provide us with all our societal needs, where do you stand on such matters? Thank you for taking part, I'd imagine your job is stressful enough

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

I think that's a good idea and it's not dissimilar to how things are at the moment.

I'm not sure you understood what I meant about a list system - it would be completely and utterly different to what we have now. There would only be one constituency - the entire country, so no TDs pandering to local interests, they would just would in the national interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hi,

Thanks for doing the AMA.

I know somebody briefly touched on the question of corruption and I dont want to labour the question, but its something that I think comes up alot when people think of politics/politicians.

I know two people who have been councellors. Both confided in me that their was quite toxic and corrupt elements that they themselves saw first hand, particularly when it came to zoning land.

One of these people is trustworthy in the sense that they dont generally over play things and tell it from a "you wouldnt believe what goes on" sort of way. The other tells it from a "you have to play the game" sort of sense so they themselves possibly engaged in the kind of tactics that people associate with councellors.

I myself live in an estate built on a flood plain and we have had flooding issues. Residents went back through the records and saw that the Councellors at the time were advised clearly that this land was unsuitable for building for the very issues that have subsequently happened. The councellors dismissed the concerns of the (think it was OPW) actual people who knew what they were talking about, in favour of getting houses built.

The Council took years to address our problem and only actually got involved when our estate was flooded, on the news and on the front of national newspapers. Then it took 2-3 years to build the most ridiculous and impractical solution that has made the estate even more dangerous for children. Tottenham Hotspur built an entirely new football stadium quicker then it took the OPW to do the job in our estate.

Speakig with local engineers they confirmed that there were safer, better options for the estate but it looks like the council chose to "keep the problem in our estate". Sounds ok right ? But actually a major problem in our estate isnt water from our area, its from upstream and downstream in other peoples estate. So the value of our houses and the safety to children has be compromised by a council that chose to leave hundreds of familys stuck with a horrible looking 7 foot wall through the estate that is 5 feet high in parts and has a drop of over 30 feet. If a child falls in thats it. . But the council feels thats appropriate. a child has already been knocked over because of the blind spot created by the wall and the "not my job approach" has been taken, with nobody interested in taking responsibility for the issue. It will take another news story I believe or a tragedy before something will be done.

So why is this in anyway a questionable solution ? Because the "solution" in our estate that is supposedly helping up/down stream, has helped a builder right beside us and up stream. Miraculously a builder owned land right beside us for nearly a decade and didnt build until our "solution" was started. So you can see why residents in our estate have questions and its funny how there is nobody around or interested in answering. Nobody knows or sees anything so we have to just suck it up.

So, while you say there is no corruption, its hard to fathom why certain decisions are made and the motives behind them.

So after all that, I will ask do you think that there are decisions made from councellors that you would find questionable or suspect and what do you think could be done to have more cheques and balances to decisions made. Nobody has been held to account in anyway for the issues of my estate when it was made clear that it wasnt suitable for building.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you think that perhaps in Michael Noonan hadn't watered down the Vacant Site levy that it might have helped to bring more housing on stream earlier, particularly in smaller sites, which wouldn't require huge resources to get built?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/noonan-casts-doubt-on-vacant-site-tax-1.1965096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What are your thought on property tax money been siphoned off to local councillors for a fund towards local projects. This is given as a "reward" for not reducing the property tax in their county.

At the same time you have a Finance officer from the County Council describing it as "catastrophic" to reduce the property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Has the AMA participant given up ?

Thoie wrote: »
    Harping on about potholes a bit more.

1. How bored do you get of hearing about potholes?
    2. Why are so many potholes so poorly repaired? I can pinpoint more than 20 in a short stretch that are big, and recurring. Every now and then, a lump of tar gets thrown into it, but the job isn't done properly, so the holes reform in the space of weeks. In a month, they're huge again, and have to be reported all over again.
    3. When contractors for the utility companies dig up roads, afaik they pay a bond to the council to ensure the roads are put back in the original state (or better). That never seems to happen - there's always a ridiculous trench/dip, half arsed job done of filling them in. Do the contractors actually get their bond back, or do the councils keep it? If they keep it, why isn't it spent on putting the road back in a proper condition? Are contractors ever refused permission to dig, based on the state they've left previous roads?

And not pothole related:
    4. How do you decide to "back" a presidential candidate? Do you have set criteria that you use, or is it just a vote at a meeting? If I (a complete unknown), jumped up and said I'd like your council's backing to run for president, what kind of things would you be looking for to help you decide to support me?
    1. How bored do you get of hearing about potholes?

Not bored, but sometimes people seem to think that you put the potholes there, and it's your fault they exist. But happy to take calls or messages about them, just gets a bit annoying from time to time.

2. Why are so many potholes so poorly repaired? I can pinpoint more than 20 in a short stretch that are big, and recurring. Every now and then, a lump of tar gets thrown into it, but the job isn't done properly, so the holes reform in the space of weeks. In a month, they're huge again, and have to be reported all over again.

In my local authority we contract out all pothole filling and contractor squares off the hole and fills and seals. Rarely reoccur.

3. When contractors for the utility companies dig up roads, afaik they pay a bond to the council to ensure the roads are put back in the original state (or better). That never seems to happen - there's always a ridiculous trench/dip, half arsed job done of filling them in. Do the contractors actually get their bond back, or do the councils keep it? If they keep it, why isn't it spent on putting the road back in a proper condition? Are contractors ever refused permission to dig, based on the state they've left previous roads?

I don't think it's a bond as such... more so part of the job description, I think it would be better, even if more costly, if whole section of road was resurfaced and not jus the trench where the companies were working. I totally feel your pain, not only does it lead to trouble down the line it looks CAT.

And not pothole related:
    4. How do you decide to "back" a presidential candidate? Do you have set criteria that you use, or is it just a vote at a meeting? If I (a complete unknown), jumped up and said I'd like your council's backing to run for president, what kind of things would you be looking for to help you decide to support me?

So, each councillor has a vote, each council can only nominate one candidate.

So there's a few things to consider:

For me I'd like someone with a good track record of public service. Not necessarily political either. After that I'd be willing to look at their campaign, their speeches, their interviews and I'd look for sincerity. I don't like cliches or sucking up!

Then within the council, politics plays a role... do you allow SF to have a free run at MDH, or do you allow FF nominate a candidate on behalf of your council by abstaining.

It could be a numbers game before you know it.

Please don't read that as belittling the office or not taking it seriously, this is the way it can play out.

• Advertisement

p15574 wrote: »
    I'm not sure you understood what I meant about a list system - it would be completely and utterly different to what we have now. There would only be one constituency - the entire country, so no TDs pandering to local interests, they would just would in the national interest.
    Ah, my apologies, I'm sure that would be interesting. We are a small country, would it work?

Has the AMA participant given up ?
    Nope, Sorry, just an incredibly busy few days. Trying to catch up now.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What are your thought on property tax money been siphoned off to local councillors for a fund towards local projects. This is given as a "reward" for not reducing the property tax in their county.

At the same time you have a Finance officer from the County Council describing it as "catastrophic" to reduce the property tax.

Well, if local projects are being funded, that can only be a good thing. Councillors are partly elected to help fund local projects so I see no issue with a local authority doing that in their budget as long as it's not to the detriment of other services. For example, securing LPT funds for local projects but reducing street cleaning or roads money etc, is not a good idea. But if council can commit to maintaining a good level of service and councillors all have projects they want/need done (assuming the local communities have given each councillor a mandate to get these things done) I see no issue.

My pet peeve about the LPT is that if you live in rural Ireland it's hard to justify what services you're getting for paying it.

A finance officer in a council would see any cut in revenue as catastrophic, and it is their job to think that way.

Do you think that perhaps in Michael Noonan hadn't watered down the Vacant Site levy that it might have helped to bring more housing on stream earlier, particularly in smaller sites, which wouldn't require huge resources to get built?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/noonan-casts-doubt-on-vacant-site-tax-1.1965096
    Fair point, hard to argue against, I'm sure more strict levies may have made a difference.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for doing the AMA.

I know somebody briefly touched on the question of corruption and I dont want to labour the question, but its something that I think comes up alot when people think of politics/politicians.

I know two people who have been councellors. Both confided in me that their was quite toxic and corrupt elements that they themselves saw first hand, particularly when it came to zoning land.

One of these people is trustworthy in the sense that they dont generally over play things and tell it from a "you wouldnt believe what goes on" sort of way. The other tells it from a "you have to play the game" sort of sense so they themselves possibly engaged in the kind of tactics that people associate with councellors.

I myself live in an estate built on a flood plain and we have had flooding issues. Residents went back through the records and saw that the Councellors at the time were advised clearly that this land was unsuitable for building for the very issues that have subsequently happened. The councellors dismissed the concerns of the (think it was OPW) actual people who knew what they were talking about, in favour of getting houses built.

The Council took years to address our problem and only actually got involved when our estate was flooded, on the news and on the front of national newspapers. Then it took 2-3 years to build the most ridiculous and impractical solution that has made the estate even more dangerous for children. Tottenham Hotspur built an entirely new football stadium quicker then it took the OPW to do the job in our estate.

Speakig with local engineers they confirmed that there were safer, better options for the estate but it looks like the council chose to "keep the problem in our estate". Sounds ok right ? But actually a major problem in our estate isnt water from our area, its from upstream and downstream in other peoples estate. So the value of our houses and the safety to children has be compromised by a council that chose to leave hundreds of familys stuck with a horrible looking 7 foot wall through the estate that is 5 feet high in parts and has a drop of over 30 feet. If a child falls in thats it. . But the council feels thats appropriate. a child has already been knocked over because of the blind spot created by the wall and the "not my job approach" has been taken, with nobody interested in taking responsibility for the issue. It will take another news story I believe or a tragedy before something will be done.

So why is this in anyway a questionable solution ? Because the "solution" in our estate that is supposedly helping up/down stream, has helped a builder right beside us and up stream. Miraculously a builder owned land right beside us for nearly a decade and didnt build until our "solution" was started. So you can see why residents in our estate have questions and its funny how there is nobody around or interested in answering. Nobody knows or sees anything so we have to just suck it up.

So, while you say there is no corruption, its hard to fathom why certain decisions are made and the motives behind them.

So after all that, I will ask do you think that there are decisions made from councellors that you would find questionable or suspect and what do you think could be done to have more cheques and balances to decisions made. Nobody has been held to account in anyway for the issues of my estate when it was made clear that it wasnt suitable for building.
    Wow, I feel like apologising on behalf of all councillors.

In the case you describe I would have thought there could be a legal route to go down. It appears to be total incompetence.

One way to stamp out potential messing with zoned land would be for zone suggestions to be put to public consultation.

I am sorry for such a short reply, your situation must be incredibly frustrating. I guess, theres a line between corruption and stupidity/incompetence....

I have seen councillors propose things around zoned land that made the mind boggle but not for any seeming personal gain.

I have seen developers with bad records approach councillors requesting re-zoning, councillors agreeing to it, debates happening and some being done and more not, but I couldn't say any of the rezoning was right or wrong... at least not yet.

I also think you and your neighbours should be exempted from LPT

Collie D wrote: »

Would you:

I would save the people from candidate x to be honest. I've read his manifesto. Did you see his suggestion about the cyber dating and pornography tax? INTERESTING.

Candidate X had already gotten more coverage without actually doing anything significant and it could literally be some ex hack sitting in his boxers on a sofa at 2 in the afternoon laughing at the rest of us.

In answer to your question, I would request that the candidate be not even heard by the council and if a colleague proposed him I'd vote against as I think the council should be responsible and if they are potentially putting forward a candidate it should be someone fit for the position with ideas that are logical for a start lol

Very good AMA.

In terms of housing, how are the new type of development proposals perceived by rural councils such as converted shipping containers, log cabins, modular homes, co living, etc?

Also how do you feel about the level of vacant and/or bank owned houses which are currently unoccupied while the prospect of ownership is pretty much out of reach for many young Irish people?

I think most cllrs would prefer "actual" houses. (please pardon the term) but there's a definite sense of "Anything but nothing" if that makes sense. Some of the modular or prefabricated houses are incredible quality, you'd hardly notice a difference, they are pretty god.

These solutions will house people. But I have to say this, and please don't think it's some right wing FG nut job, I assure you I am not. But the huge crisis is being made out to be worse than it is, at least in my county it is. I get housing reps everyday and you would not believe the attitude and lack of understanding by some people. I would say that 40% of the people on the housing list in my county are there by choice and not by desperation. (Not that social housing is desperate, but the 40% are giving that impression, whilst updating their facebook with their second sun holiday of the year)

I think there should be a National CPO scheme where the funds paid are used to finish off housing estates and the houses then sold to first time buyers. Problem with all of this is that too many bad developers would be bailed out of their responsibility.

Whoa a political AMA, interesting stuff already, ill throw in my few cents.

You have mentioned earlier that Sinn Fein can actually be ok to work with, in your opinion do you think it is possible for a government to be formed with them?

Do you believe there is any hope of SF providing a decent level of committment and delivering on tangible change within the country, outside of the obvious drum beating for United Ireland?

How do you think Brexit will affect how counsellors will be able to do their work based on economic and social changes that will occur?

Do you or other party members have any belief that maybe we are better joining the UK in leaving EU, maybe even forming an economic union seperately with them?

Should we be spending money on the POPEs visit or do you think it should be funded purely by the church? Will we EVER see victims of church abuse get the payouts that are due to them?

Trump or no Trump, should we be entertaining this clown here?

Cake or Pie?
    In politics I always hear never say never, however, too many FG people I know would jump ship even at the mention. But could SF get to 30/40 TD's and end up supported by maybe Labour, Greens and IND's.... it's possible. But FG and SF will not happen.

SF want to provide all these wonderful budgetary suggestions, but they want to fund it by borrowing money. (That's the only way they can fund their fantasies) but we've been down that road before as a country and it didn't work out well. Although, at least the borrowing now would be based on a much mores sustainable tax base and sturdier economy. Let's also not forget, SF have some real internal problems!! Is it 37 elected members of the party have resigned to date since 2015? MAD

Hard to know really isn't it? a lot of passport queries? A lot of issues for the border counties, until we see some kind of agreement does anybody know what the affects will be?

No, we spent 700 years getting away from them we'd be worse hypocrites than them were we to leave the EU and try and do any kind of union with them. We already have a brilliant trading relationship AND we get the EU trading too.

I hope victims get their dues and I think it's a blight on every government we have ever had that a lot of these cases are not dealt with. I think the church should be paying for the vast majority of it. However, the state will benefit greatly from the revenue made during next week and so it's reasonable to think the state should fork out something but maybe not as much as we have.

Trump or no Trump, should we be entertaining this clown here?- No, he's a stain on humanity. I get the "respect for the office" argument but he doesn't respect the office and his supporters certainly don't. The man is a buffoon. It's terrifying how he got to where he is.

Cake or Pie?...... Can I have both?

JJJJNR wrote: »
    What due diligence is done and what checks are in place to ensure the people who need to be housed (single parents etc) are not gaming the system, and if they are gaming the system, what is being done to bring them to task.

Have you seen the housing application forms in any local authority?

The thickness of it alone would turn me off applying.

My point is, the checks are there the income proofs etc. but it's still very hard to really "Catch" someone gaming.

The most common one is where "single mother" applies for house. Two kids. He's after breaking up with her and doesn't pay towards the kids. She gets house and all of a sudden they're back together but he's not living there, just staying there 7 nights a week. Or some are so blatant, she applies, gets sorted and he just moves in and says nothing. So you'd say well why don't you report it, well because he'd just move out, for a while and then he'd be back.

If everyone obeyed the rules, especially politicians, we'd have no gamers at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve got to say this AMA is very refreshing with the OP saying exactly what they think instead of what is politically correct. Maybe we should make all politicians anonymous!

Well done OP, don’t let the bastards get you down! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement