Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSc Software Engineering & Database Technologies (MScSED)

2»

Comments

I'd consider my work situation though beforehand. i.e how much free time you have a week because it can be intensive, and if you want good grades you may have to put in a lot of hours.

It's not without a few drawbacks, The October start date students this year have been given 8 months straight without a break which is intensive, although I doubt this happens every year.

Hi, I have applied for the October start date also. This schedule would definitely put me off. If I postponed until next year and started in September would there be a break for Christmas or other breaks?

I'd consider my work situation though beforehand. i.e how much free time you have a week because it can be intensive, and if you want good grades you may have to put in a lot of hours.

It's not without a few drawbacks, The October start date students this year have been given 8 months straight without a break which is intensive, although I doubt this happens every year.

Hi, I have applied for the October start date also. This schedule would definitely put me off. If I reapplied next year and started in September would there be a break for Christmas or other breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 USSCork

Hi AMPM8,

I think there is a break for Christmas regardless of whether you start in September or October (from about 12th December till beginning January).

The break you would miss-out on is in summer. Su8W2...

F8W1 F8W2 Sp8W1 Sp8W2 Su8W1 Su8W2
    August-start MCT611 MCT613 MCT609 Intro to NO SQL MCT610 ---
    October-start --- MCT611 MCT613 MCT609 MCT610 Intro to NO SQL

So, you'll miss out on a Summer Holiday this year, but that's about it!

Good luck,

John

Hi, I have applied for the October start date also. This schedule would definitely put me off. If I reapplied next year and started in September would there be a break for Christmas or other breaks?
    USSCork wrote: »
    Hi AMPM8,

I think there is a break for Christmas regardless of whether you start in September or October (from about 12th December till beginning January).

Good luck,

John

Ok thanks John, can anyone else confirm this?

USSCork wrote: »
    Hi AMPM8,

Good luck,

John

Ok thanks John, can anyone else confirm this schedule?

• Advertisement

Seriously considering this for next year. Although I would prefer if there was a masters in software engineering. I read a few posts back that someone who was doing the diploma was e-mailed and asked if he wanted to do the masters the next year. Is that as in just do another year to get your masters or do the full MScSED 2 year course?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seriously considering this for next year. Although I would prefer if there was a masters in software engineering. I read a few posts back that someone who was doing the diploma was e-mailed and asked if he wanted to do the masters the next year. Is that as in just do another year to get your masters or do the full MScSED 2 year course?

Software Engineering + 1 more year for Masters.

Are there interviews for the MScSED?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

No I didn't have to do any interview.
    I sent the application with the cv, previous diploma, and motivation letter

Sound. When do you send your CV etc? I've the application filled (not sent) and all I have to do is pay. Do you e-mail them at a later date or?

• Advertisement

hmm to be honest I don't remember when I did that..
    I know I did the application through PAC, and I think once you pay that fee you can upload all the documents required

Yea that's it. My app has been forwarded for consideration so fingers crossed.

Accepted today!

congrats :)
    I am doing the last two weeks before the Christmas break and can't wait lol..
    it's not a very difficult master, but very intense, lot of assignments to do..

I could imagine. I wonder does the booklist change much form year to year, I want to start reading some of them.

I am checking the booklist and for example fundamentals of Programming is the same book this year from last year.
    I think it will not change (but again, who knows?)

C How To Program by Deitel & Deitel. 6th, 7th or 8th edition:

also the other books seem to be the same..

NUIG are offering most of the course this year and so will be taking over the database modules, Majella told me these books might change but the software ones probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I am working in a construction engineering role and would like to do the diploma to see if I can point my career in a bit of a different direction. I have no software background, would I struggle?

What is a realistic time to commit each week? I work full time, probably up to 45 hours a week. I have 4 kids but the youngest is 8 so we are out of the hard young kids stage.

Also for references, do I have to give my employer? It is a totally different field from where I work so my company might not be happy with me studying to potentially leave.

Is this course enough to make a career change? I like my current field but I am fed up being a consulting engineer.

Has anyone done this recently? Very interesting thread. I think I'm going to apply for the Diploma with the intention of then doing the year on the Masters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement