Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭looksee

To be honest JB I haven't really established whether I am wheat sensitive or gluten intolerant, I just avoid all the possibilities of ingesting it. There are so many options now for gluten free food that it really isn't an issue. Thirty years ago if you tried to avoid wheat while buying lunch in a cafe the option was chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't usually get chips in restaurants unless they can guarantee they're gluten free. Some do, and some don't. I agree, thirty years ago things were bad for us, I had to buy my flour and bread in a chemist! Hard to believe that now! Anyhoo, I'm still alive after all this time, yuppee! :D

I think the whole business of flour on chips is a recent one, then they would have been just spuds. Increasingly though restaurants just say 'all our sauces are gluten free' and generally meat and veg are fine, most places have really caught on.

I wonder where all this allergy stuff has come from though. Coeliac is a disease, I can understand that, but just the sensitivity for so many seems to have come from nowhere - and in my family me, my son and his daughter are all affected - my granddaughter very much so for dairy and wheat - and even into stuff like gelatine from pork, I don't really understand how that happens, something to do with proteins I gather. The other granddaughter (sister) can eat all before her no problem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it's something to do with how the wheat was cultivated and harvested. I remember watching a documentary a good few months ago about Canadian wheat: they said that to get the wheat to dry in time for harvest it would get sprayed with the likes of Roundup a few days before, so that the plant would be dead and would have had time to dry before adverse weather conditions would set it. If it's true, I don't think that'd do any good to anyone. :/

Yikes that's bad! I don't think we get that much Canadian wheat though do we? They do seem to treat food very badly over there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Loads, actually! It's just that most products don't state the origin of the ingredients. I think the law in that regard is due to change this coming May, though. Not a day too soon, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

some cereals have gluten some do not you have to find out for yourself which ones you can eat

Looksee, it's not only if they used flour to coat the chips, its also if they have cooked the chips in the same oil as other foods they have breaded/battered. Some chippers do state the chips are GF as they don't cook everything in the same oil. Problem is, we have to accept whatever information the chef in restaurants sends out to us via the waiter. No opportunity to cross-question. I remember some years ago going to a lunch run by the Coeliac Association and we were all informed we would have a GF lunch. We got salad! And not a very good one, I had a much better selection of salad ingredients in my fridge at home that day. :eek: Anyway, as you say, things are much better now particularly in supermarkets.

Regarding the process of wheat production. I watched a programme last night I had recorded, I think called 'Farm of the Future'. It explained about the chemicals in modern fertilizers and the fact that most food production these days is linked to the production and use of oil. It looks like farming will have to go back to old fashioned type of methods. It was episode 13 I think of a series but I hadn't picked up on it before so missed the previous episodes. Must keep a look out for it in case its repeated again.

You are right of course about cross contamination of the oil - I would not be sensitive enough for that to be an issue, which is a great advantage. I suppose (after all this time!) it would be a good idea if I knew exactly what the problem was, but I seem to get away with a certain amount.

I'd always recommend to friends who decide ad hoc to go gluten or wheat free to go to their GP. We never know if our problems are a result of some other condition until we have a test, i.e. gastroscopy or maybe blood test. No point in suffering with an undiagnosed condition.

• Advertisement

When I first went gluten/wheat free there were no reliable tests (apart from coeliac) and I could not get anyone to take me seriously. I don't think I have coeliac disease (pretty sure at this stage) but adult onset coeliac had not been recognised then and I am not prepared to go back to eating wheat for a month or more to enable the test. For the moment I am fine and it isn't causing me any issues.

One mildly interesting thing, I originally thought I was milk sensitive but when eventually I went off wheat, after a while I became less sensitive to milk and eventually was able to take milk no problem. Apparently there is some rational explanation for this relating to the effect of wheat on the gut.

I think if may have something to do with how your body is overreacting to one thing that makes it overreact to others, too. I know someone, for instance, who is intolerant to latex but allergic to a specific antibiotic, to the point that she was hospitalised for over a week because of it - she got a horrific rash all over their body, including the eyelids, and she looked like she had been badly burnt. Normally, the intolerance to the latex only shows up if she's been in contact with latex for over an hour or thereabouts, so at first the nurses didn't believe her. However, while she was having the bad reaction to the antibiotic, the rash was immediately exacerbated in the places that had been in contact with the nurses' latex gloves, so they stopped questioning it and switched to the non-latex ones. Once she got better, the latex allergy went back to being a latex intolerance.

Made a very interesting discovery the other day - bananas sting! I picked up a banana and vaguely thought 'why does this banana feel prickly?' Arghhhh! I dropped the banana and a rather dozy wasp flew away. My thumb was sore for about 3 days.

We have had a 'one wasp at a time' infestation (can one be an infestation?) for the entire winter. You find one bumbling in the window and dispose of it and a couple of days later there is another one. Goodness knows where they are coming from, maybe there is a species of hardy solitary wasp? They do seem to be a bit bigger than usual.

Maybe it was the same one experiencing Groundhog Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

looksee wrote: »
    Made a very interesting discovery the other day - bananas sting! I picked up a banana and vaguely thought 'why does this banana feel prickly?' Arghhhh! I dropped the banana and a rather dozy wasp flew away. My thumb was sore for about 3 days.

We have had a 'one wasp at a time' infestation (can one be an infestation?) for the entire winter. You find one bumbling in the window and dispose of it and a couple of days later there is another one. Goodness knows where they are coming from, maybe there is a species of hardy solitary wasp? They do seem to be a bit bigger than usual.

Sounds like hibernating queens starting to stir.

Sounds like hibernating queens starting to stir.

Really? There must have been 10 or 15 over the winter! That's on and off since the autumn. I suspect there must be a nest nearby.

looksee wrote: »
    Really? There must have been 10 or 15 over the winter! That's on and off since the autumn. I suspect there must be a nest nearby.

In winter hives die off and groups of queens look for a dry sheltered place to hibernate. If that place is in a house, the heat can awaken some of them. Right now most will be emerging to go establish new hives.

Thanks, that's interesting. And they look just like ordinary wasps? (largish ordinary wasps).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

On the plus side, if it is a wasp nest then they'll only be there for a year, unlike bees that will use the same nest/hive forever.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Just a quick mention that sometime this week I will be away from the puter for a while Sorry about that folks but I can not help it at all. :o

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    Just a quick mention that sometime this week I will be away from the puter for a while Sorry about that folks but I can not help it at all. :o
    Young 'uns these days are all slackers. We just can't get the staff any more!

(Hope you're doing ok, Rube. :))

New Home wrote: »
    Young 'uns these days are all slackers. We just can't get the staff any more!

(Hope you're doing ok, Rube. :))
    please do not worry about ne it is something other than my health that is the problem just now

Ah, slacking off altogether, then. It's well for some! :pac: :D

We'll forgive you Rube. Let us know when you are back in the cockpit. I don't usually like flying without a pilot but I'll give it a go until your return, I'm sure the others won't mind! See you somewhere around the teapot! :)

I don't usually like flying without a pilot but I'll give it a go until your return,

Ahem!

Don'tcha trust me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Don'tcha trust me?
    I don't even trust me.
    >->
    <-<

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Sure don't computers fly planes these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

Looking very quiet here these days. Are you all gone?

• Advertisement

Busy elsewhere mixing with the young'uns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement