Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cheque lodgement in Germany

• 20-04-2019 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

HI,

I have a BOI account.
    I would like to send over a cheque to my friend in Germany (for EUR 3000). Can he en-cash it there (or lodge in his bank account)? How much time will it take for the funds to land in his account.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I doubt it very much .I left Germany 14 years ago and even then it was extremely difficult to lodge cheques drawn on foreign banks. Clearance would take weeks   Cheques were phased out there years ago. Why don't you transfer the money to their account? With SEPA it's quick, easy and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No reason to use a cheque in this day and age. It'll take weeks to clear, if they ecen make an exception to clear it. As above, send it online with a SEPA payment. Payment the same day, if done early, or the next working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

thx guys. I wanted to give him a present. I was initially looking into prepaid gift card. The only option was swirlcard, but the maximum load amount is EUR 250.

He will not give me his bank account if he gets to know that I want to transfer EUR 3000 as a gift.
    If the cheque does not work, how about a bank draft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's the same thing.

In regards to not being accepted and the timeframe. Not as in the same thing for the usual stupidity of some boards members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Do you know if the recipient has PayPal? If you have the email they use for PayPal you could send money that way. Not sure if you can send €3000 in one go, you might have to do more than one transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Tow

3K with PayPal will trigger all sorts of security checks.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tow wrote: »
    3K with PayPal will trigger all sorts of security checks.
    Agreed. €3,000 is money laundering territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

What to do :(
    As we are all in the Eurozone, I was thinking a cheque/bank draft would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

The Germans will have a massive laugh if your mate turns up with one of those at that bank. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

suave.4u wrote: »
    HI,

I have a BOI account.
    I would like to send over a cheque to my friend in Germany (for EUR 3000). Can he en-cash it there (or lodge in his bank account)? How much time will it take for the funds to land in his account.

Regards,

Hi suave.4u,

Thanks for contacting us here.

In this instance, the time frame would need to be checked with the German bank. We'd only be able to advise on how long a foreign cheque/draft would take to clear if lodged to a BOI account which is 4-6 weeks.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
Advertisement