Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTB not fit for purpose anymore

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The RTB is firmly in the tenants favour.
    At the end of the day, any tenant can escape paying their rent and get away with that.

But a landlord cannot escape a judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

Its not that the RTB has changed - it has never been fit for purpose. As a concept, its fine. The idea of taking landlord/tenant disputes out of courts and into RTB should be OK, but its flawed in reality. Findings against landlords are easy to enforce, because the landlord has an asset (the investment property), and usually a fixed principle private residence. Findings against tenants are harder as tenants are harder to track and may not have assets/income to chase. The RTB also lacks sufficient power - eviction orders, for example, are meaningless as they have to go though the courts anyway to have any effect. The RTB was set up for failure, and thats how it has worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would give you the benefit of the doubt about the sound problems right up until your "I want to speak to the manager" attitude came out.

And move is of course the correct answer. Its the best reason for renting, you can easily just pack up and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goldfinches

you need to find somewhere live on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

if RTB is not fit for purpose for a tenant, you need to look in the mirror i wouldn't want you as a tenant you could qualify for some form of state care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I had guys above me who inherited the apartment. They were total Alcoholics, parties every day and night until 10am each day. Rang the Gardai, they suggested moving so I moved. Sometimes you just gotta know when to go. I didn't bother taking it anywhere as I knew these guys would never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dav010 wrote: »
    So soundproof the party wall on your side.

Or move out

Advertisement