Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

nice job !

• Well done and enjoy the panel.. Lots of monkey fun!!

here's a repair vid of that 1942 pcb that's now in my cab. Had some background graphics and sprite issues. and the sound completely went half way through the repair :

oh also I'm now a contributor on jammarcade.net
    for those who prefer the more succinct reading format :)
    http://www.jammarcade.net/capcom-1942-pcb-repair-log/

BGOllie wrote: »
    oh also I'm now a contributor on jammarcade.net
    for those who prefer the more succinct reading format :)
    http://www.jammarcade.net/capcom-1942-pcb-repair-log/

Love this,
    I cant help but read it in your voice thought !!

• Advertisement

well speaking of which :D
    A kung Fu Master repair (another one) . got this one from Mitch a while back. Had issues on all boards of the stack. Some sync , graphic rom issues, chip enable lines and custom ic issues on the top board. Sound issues on the middle board and the clock issues on the bottom board. Got it all back running at the end but this was a long one.

got one of Caius' repros from jammarcade.net but I'll be looking into making my own in the coming weeks too :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

With the price of CPS1 A boards going crazy i figured i better get another one to backup my SF2CE cab in case it goes, so had a look on ebay and seen a Magic Sword with graphics issues and took a chance on it. It arrived yesterday, i stuck it in the cab and yeh it has graphics issues (see image).

So i swapped the A board of it with the A board of my working SF2 and the graphics issue remained. I tried the A board from the magic sword with my SF2 and it works perfect so happy days i have a spare A board! Got lucky i think.

Im going to try fix the graphics issue on the BandC magic sword now, I removed and cleaned the legs on all the socketed chips but the issue is still there. Any ideas where i should look next? Im no expert here by a long shot but its something id like to learn. I dont have a logic probe yet, but have one on the way. Ive been looking at vids on YouTube, any tips?

The issue is these lines on some parts, the main logo, the bit on the bottom in the image, they character graphics etc all seem fine.

I'm no pro either,
    but jail bars usually mean ram issues ?

Cool thanks I wouldnt have known that, ill look that way so.. ive no idea how.. but ill look into it.. haha

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the help, ive taken all the socketed chips out on the B board, read them in my GQ-4X thing and saved the files, then used the romident page to see if they where ok, which i think is how you do it, and they all seem fine so far. I still have a few to take out and check though, ive only done the ones with windows so far.

I dont know what the ones with windows are called yet :pac:

ram issue would most likely give out corrupter graphical elements. also I believe all the ram is on the A board anyay.

I would suspect it's a specific prom / mask rom issue on the B board or a corroded socket.

Looks like you've one or many bits stuck in one of the graphic layers.
    btw by "Character Graphics" , did you mean sprites ? character graphics layer is typically stuff like letters (people forget these have to be drawn and stored :) ) , these can be used for other graphical elements like icons and also the logos since they sit on top of the bg and sprite layer . so here it sounds like the character layer is affected.

One thing I do to identify which eprom does what (at leas in the graphic area) is to remove one and power the game and check what area of the graphics is affected. The game should start but you'll just see blocks in lieue of graphic elements. Once you've identify the eprom(s) that holds the character data, check it against the mame file with an eprom reader. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the mask rom has gone bad

I dont know what the ones with windows are called yet :pac:

these are the eproms. They can be erased with uv light so the window should be masked with a sticker idealy to prevent uv light to affect them.
    The other black ones are mask roms. They have a similar pinout and can be read as 27c4000 i believe

ram issue would most likely give out corrupter graphical elements. also I believe all the ram is on the A board anyay.

I would suspect it's a specific prom / mask rom issue on the B board or a corroded socket.

Looks like you've one or many bits stuck in one of the graphic layers.
    btw by "Character Graphics" , did you mean sprites ? character graphics layer is typically stuff like letters (people forget these have to be drawn and stored :) ) , these can be used for other graphical elements like icons and also the logos since they sit on top of the bg and sprite layer . so here it sounds like the character layer is affected.

The sword guy is fine, the bad guys etc all grand. its whatever that information bar across the bottom is that has the lines in it. that and the main logo when game boots. So sprites seem fine, but the Character Graphics are the ones gone?

looking at that image again, it looks like some letters might be affected too, you can see "MAGIC" has some blue dots on it.

One thing I do to identify which eprom does what (at leas in the graphic area) is to remove one and power the game and check what area of the graphics is affected. The game should start but you'll just see blocks in lieue of graphic elements. Once you've identify the eprom(s) that holds the character data, check it against the mame file with an eprom reader. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the mask rom has gone bad

Thanks for the help, ill try that out! Ive the bits to build a Super Gun setup on the way, at the minute im swapping in and out of a cab which is a pain.

Actually while youre here! The test bench you built in your video, you put a switch on it to turn the power on and off, what type of switch is that, i dont want to get one thats not suited and electrocute myself!
    these are the eproms. They can be erased with uv light so the window should be masked with a sticker idealy to prevent uv light to affect them.
    The other black ones are mask roms. They have a similar pinout and can be read as 27c4000 i believe

Cool, one of them didnt have a sticker over it, i was hoping that would be the issue and be blank or something, but it read fine when i tested it.

Actually while youre here! The test bench you built in your video, you put a switch on it to turn the power on and off, what type of switch is that, i dont want to get one thats not suited and electrocute myself!

it's just a switch I had. It's a standard 240v toggle switch I got in maplins years back and mounted it on a piece of wood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Big shout out to Kerbdog who dropped off both the Atari 2600 and 7800 after AV modding the pair.
    Only got to try the 2600, having a shot of both Pole Position and River Raid, both looking great.
    So, thanks again!

made my second repair log post on jammarcade :)
    repairing a CPS1 Street Fighter 2 CE : http://www.jammarcade.net/capcom-cps1-street-fighter-2-ce-repair-log/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

made my second repair log post on jammarcade :)
    repairing a CPS1 Street Fighter 2 CE : http://www.jammarcade.net/capcom-cps1-street-fighter-2-ce-repair-log/

When can we start sending boards to you? :D

This is a lucky fix really. If your cps1 A has graphic glitches chances are it's the CPS A chip ... and since everyone has search alerts for these , even if some stock magically appear one day it'll be gone in a heartbeat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Quick one for ye.

Redoing my console setup and accidentally plugged my SNES in to NES PSU. SNES led flashed and then went out, won't power on now, what did I blow?

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Just the internal fuse, have done it more than once myself :pac: Easy enough to replace.

Ordered a bag of those, because I tried it with a second SNES just to be sure directly after the first. So I have 2 to replace now :)

sugarman wrote: »
    Just the internal fuse, have done it more than once myself :pac: Easy enough to replace.

Ordered a bag of those, because I tried it with a second SNES just to be sure directly after the first. So I have 2 to replace now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

^^ thats awesome detective work, good job.

Got those fuses today and replaced a SNES internal fuse, still dead, anyone have a good method for testing the PSU for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Anyone come across audio problems with a Game Boy Color?
    Headphone works but speaker doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think that's a sign of bad caps in the audio circuitry isnt it? Similar issue happens to the Gamegear if I remember correctly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Got those fuses today and replaced a SNES internal fuse, still dead, anyone have a good method for testing the PSU for it?

Only way I know to test a PSU is get out the multimeter.
    Check the fuse for continuity as you're at it - you never know.

made a series of little prom to eprom adapters.
    It allows you to read proms (that can't be read or written with the standard eprom burners you find on ebay) .
    So a 82s129/126 or 82s131 (or their other brands equivalents) can be read as or written to standard 27512/27256 (27128 should work too) eproms.
    I've a couple of spare bare pcbs left from the first draft. I was going to throw them as the silk screen explaining the settings for 82s12x or 8s131 modes is inverted. not a big deal but I can't sell those so I thought I might give em to fellow boarders.

It's the bare pcb so you'll need sockets -16 pin to operate as prom reader, 28 pin to work as a eprom replacement, for the prom and eprom depending and pin headers.
    I've 3 sets of each to give to 3 people. I don't think this warrants a ad but I can create one if it's an issue.

59863898_10157250490473276_5598114292625833984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=ac6166e645bb5d9a745f2e0750bf8213&oe=5D5D877B

made a series of little prom to eprom adapters.
    It allows you to read proms (that can't be read or written with the standard eprom burners you find on ebay) .
    This allow to read or write a 82s129/126 or 82s131 as standard 27512/27256 (27128 should work too) eproms.
    I've a couple of spare bare pcbs left from the first draft. I was going to throw them as the silk screen explaining the settings for 82s12x or 8s131 modes is inverted. not a big deal but I can't sell those so I thought I might give em to fellow boarders.

it's the bare pcb so you'll need sockets for the prom and eprom depending and pin headers.
    I've 3 sets of each to give to 3 people. I don't think this warrants a ad but I can create one if it's an issue.

59863898_10157250490473276_5598114292625833984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=ac6166e645bb5d9a745f2e0750bf8213&oe=5D5D877B

Hi , I’d love one please if that’s ok , I’ve been trying to learn fixing pcbs lately watching Vids, reading and messing around with boards ! I can pay postage etc thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

no worries. that's one set gone. 2 left :)

I'm also working on a series of jamma adapters and making some repro ICs at the moment. Starting with the Irem KNA chips , I should have the first protos next week.
    Maybe I should make a pinned ad for all these in the marketplace ?

Advertisement