Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History books for school library?

• 09-04-2019 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Looking for any recommendations for History books for our school library (secondary). Atlas of the Irish Revolution was one that instantly sprung to mind for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

NCW feen wrote: »
    Looking for any recommendations for History books for our school library (secondary). Atlas of the Irish Revolution was one that instantly sprung to mind for me.

Some English-language Irish history book suggestions:

1. Overview of Irish history Moody & Martin, The Course of Irish History
    2. Extensive overview of Irish history: A New History of 3. Ireland (entire series), if you're loaded
    4. Superb economic, social and intellectual history of 20th century Ireland: JJ Lee, Politics & Society 1912-1985
    5. Hugely acclaimed literary/intellectual history: Declan Kiberd, Inventing Ireland
    6. Classic study of Gaelic Ireland: KW Nicholls, Gaelic & Gaelicised Ireland
    7. Classic study of Irish kingship: Francis J. Byrne, Irish kings and high-kings.
    8. Classic literary history (of 18th-century Munster): Daniel Corkery, Hidden Ireland
    9. Republican autobiographies: Ernie O'Malley, On Another Man's Wounds; Tom Barry, Guerrilla Days in Ireland; Dan Breen, My Fight for Irish Freedom.
    10. The largest selling Irish history book of all time: Thomas Cahill, How the Irish Saved Civilisation

If the Military Bureau Archive is in print form, it would be a fantastic primary resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

The state of Africa , Martin Meredith.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Government Publications occasionally do packs of primary sources. They are well worth having.

They did a great one on the development of Dublin including copies of old maps. It's hard but not impossible to find.

**edit
    I got a lot of use out of books of collections of old photographs. They can often be found in the 70% off bins. The Juniors used to like seeing old photos of their area.
    If you don't have it already, a sub to Irish Newspaper Archives is money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Another thing which I have is all the published National Inventory of Architectural Heritage Building Surveys. The list of all published ones can be found on the Buildings of Ireland website. It is a fantastic source of information on surviving buildings in each county and often history students are first inspired by the local historical remains around them. The whole database is online now on the above website. For local history projects it would be a great resource. For instance, if you want to find the history of a listed building in your area and its architectural changes, search for it on that database (it can get addictive).

I got all my physical copies from the Department of the Environment in the Customs House years ago for free. The (very helpful) man there was very keen for students to do local history projects and asked me could I let his superior know how all these publications were benefiting students. So it could be worth your while making an appointment to meet him there.

Another series of county historical studies, which I bought out of my own money, were the Ordnance Survey Letters from the 1830s. They are a great linguistic and social history of townlands and villages at that time, which for some reason are not given sufficient study by historians of 19th century Ireland. I bought most of my copies in Cathach Books, now called Ulysses Rare Books, on Duke Street in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

NCW feen wrote:

That's a mighty heavy book. It's also quite expensive. What kind of budget do you have?

• Advertisement
Advertisement