Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan Billboards from around the world.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Worztron wrote: »
    Tilikum17 wrote: »

Em I'm definitely of the opinion that is the same photo tbh...

Not sure what gives it away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Shoo pest.

:D:D

:D:D

Ah another (non) contributor who believes others should be silenced ;)

*waves*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Boston

Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

To be fair Tilikum - the sentiment on that poster really makes no sense when we acknowledge that humans are only one species of many. Unless as some are suggesting it is to involve the wiping out of those species, all because someones ideology doesn't agree with what others eat.

Heres some examples of these bizarre ideas from some vegan / animal rights activists ...
    The majority of the planet's 50,000 or so vertebrate species are vegetarian. But among the minority of carnivorous species are some of the best known creatures on the planet. Should these serial killers be permitted to prey on other sentient beings indefinitely?
    It's crucial that at some point the animal-rights movement moves beyond farm, laboratory, and companion animals. The scale of brutality in nature is too vast to ignore, and humans have an obligation to exercise their cosmically rare position as both intelligent and empathetic creatures to reduce suffering in the wild as much as they can.

Crazy that this is being advocated and even applauded imo. But there you go....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

gozunda wrote: »
    To be fair Tilikum - the sentiment on that poster really makes no sense when we acknowledge that humans are only one species of many. Unless as some are suggesting it is to involve the wiping out of those species, all because someones ideology doesn't agree with what others eat.

Heres some examples of these bizarre ideas from some vegan / animal rights activists ...

"The majority of the planet's 50,000 or so vertebrate species are vegetarian. But among the minority of carnivorous species are some of the best known creatures on the planet. Should these serial killers be permitted to prey on other sentient beings indefinitely?"

Crazy that this is being advocated and even applauded imo. But there you go....

You purposefully take it out if context. Either you haven't a clue about the article or you are most disingenuous.
    Brian implicitly states these ideas are his vision of a far flung future.

"I conclude by encouraging animal advocates to focus their efforts to promote concern about wild-animal suffering among other activists, academics, and others who would be sympathetic -- both to encourage research on the issue and to ensure that our descendants use their advanced technologies in ways that alleviate wild-animal suffering rather than inadvertently multiply it."

( At the end of the introduction here )
    https://foundational-research.org/the-importance-of-wild-animal-suffering/

"I write about ethics, animal welfare, and far-future scenarios from a suffering-focused perspective on my main website, "Essays On Reducing Suffering".

I helped to start the Foundational Research Institute, a think tank that explores crucial considerations for reducing suffering in the long-run future."

https://briantomasik.com

Theses are idealistic goals essentially pertaining to some jainistic idealistic tenets.
    His is a scf-fi version of the future.

auspicious wrote: »
    You purposefully take it out if context. Either you haven't a clue about the article or you are most disingenuous.Brian implicitly states these ideas are his vision of a far flung future....

Nope. Wrong. My post does not just relate to Brian's "ideas".

If you bother reading what wrote and detailed - there are two separate quotes there from different sources - both given as some examples of the type of frankly deranged ideas being promoted by a movement which includes:
    • that all "meat is murder" .
    •As exemplified in that billboard sentiment that espouses the same idea "that there is no right way to kill someone who doesn't want to die" (sic)
    • And both these as advocated in this idea that all "Wild Animal Suffering" (ie animals killing / eating other animals") must be eradicated from the planet.

Anyone who is in denial about this has their head firmly stuck in the sand. Google "wild animal suffering" and face the truth that there are many many advocates and think-tanks of this movement. It is mainstream and bizarrely being promoted as something that could be achieved.

It is the promoters and thinkers behind much of the current vegan movement who are now advocating these ideas as a way to promote veganism. Deny it all you like - it doesn't change the fact that after the desire to eradicate all domestic animals including pets as currently as advocated by many vegan groups including PETA. The removal and total eradication of all wild meat eaters is being pushed because by those who believe that 'meat is murder' and therefore ultimately all animals which eat meat must be removed from the planet. Yes this is where the 'logic' of that poster goes to. And no I dont agree with it and yes I call that out for what it is.

Not just his ideas but ideas that are his vision.
    They are futurist's concepts of what could be possible. Much the same way some transhumanists propose uploading humanity's collective consciousness to a computer.
    Again see idealism.

The second quote derives from some pinnacles of Janism's religious pathos. I.e. again ideals. Thus a super-altruistic viewpoint.
    The part about serial killing predators is just evocative rhetoric.

It is a weak argument to say this is mainstream thinking and it is certainly not the norm.

• Advertisement

Not just his ideas but ideas that are his vision.
    They are futurist's concepts of what could be possible. Much the same way some transhumanists propose uploading humanity's collective consciousness to a computer.
    Again see idealism. The second quote derives from some pinnacles of Janism's religious pathos. I.e. again ideals. Thus a super-altruistic viewpoint.The part about serial killing predators is just evocative rhetoric.
    It is a weak argument to say this is mainstream thinking and it is certainly not the norm.

As stated they are just two examples of this vegan derived movement . There are many many more examples online if you care to look.

There are countless Facebook pages and a huge amount of social media advocating the eradication of 'Wild Animal Suffering" through removing wild predators (ie stopping wild animals eating other wild animals)

Again what is being promoted is not only the complete eradication of farm and domestic animals but also either the complete eradication or genetic alteration of predator species and the use of artificial birth control on remaining wild species as a way of limiting their numbers. It is one of the areas which I find truely disturbing. That these ideas apparently have many grassroot supporters is also deeply worrying imo.

"Idealism"? Its lunacy and futurist twaddle imo, however I do believe this is motivated less by concern for such animals, rather the existence of these animals both farmed and wild is a very real obstacle to the ideology of veganism as the 'only way'

If you doubt any of this - go Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Slaphead07 wrote:
    It's not just "beliefs" anyway. Veganism and vegetarianism would genuinely make the planet a better place. I think that's worth advertising.

What do you do with all the animals once everyone goes vegan?? Adopt a cow day at the pound? And what about the water issue? The cows still need water if they are not to be eaten.....more considering they will be living longer

I doubt none of it. Factions come and go and tend to the right or left.
    It is a topic that needs a great amount of philosophical debate yet it is a vision of a post-vegan world.
    Let's just get there first.

I doubt none of it. Factions come and go and tend to the right or left.It is a topic that needs a great amount of philosophical debate yet it is a vision of a post-vegan world. Let's just get there first.

And so we return to my post regarding the deranged sentiment expressed in the govegan poster which declaims that "Theres no right way to kill someone who doesn't want to die"

It remains that the sentiment on that poster really makes no sense when we acknowledge that humans are only one species of many. Unless as some are suggesting it should involve the wiping out of those wild species which kill and eat meat and funnily enough that's exactly what is now being advocated.

Imo It is not that there is concern for such animals, rather it would appear that the existence of these animals both farmed and wild is viewed as a very real obstacle to the ideology of veganism now as dictated as the 'only way' and that "meat is murder"(sic). Funnily enough propaganda like these billboards are now pushing these very ideas and yes this is where the 'logic' of that poster goes to. 

I wonder will these wild animals be allowed a voice with regard to their fate in your proposed "philosophical debate"...

I truly hope no one ever gets "there" ever tbh...

Yep. 'There' being a *post*- vegan world.
    We're a way off that scenario yet.
    Sure aren't we still answering questions like where are all the cows going to go?

Yep. 'There' being a *post*- vegan world.
    We're a way off that scenario yet.
    Sure aren't we still answering questions like where are all the cows going to go[?

I think you maybe missing the point there again. I'll reiterate - It doesn't stop the fact these billboard sentiments are advocating for the eradication of eating of meat now and all wild meating species in the future to push the propaganda promoting a vegan ideology 'now'.

Tbh certainly in my experience the second point is generally posed by others in the form of a rhetorical question highlighting the fact that veganism calls for the complete eradication of all domestic species. I for one do not agree with that. But there you go.

Yeah of course. However It doesn't stop the fact these sentiments are being currently used to push the propaganda advocating a vegan ideology 'now'.

Tbh certainly in my experience the second is generally posed in the form of a rhetorical question highlighting the fact that veganism calls for the complete eradication of all domestic species. I for one do not agree with that. But there you go.

More generalisation and hyperbole through highlighting aspects within a movement.
    I don't think all vegans call for the eradication, as you put it, of dogs.

More generalisation and hyperbole through highlighting aspects within a movement.
    I don't think all vegans call for the eradication, as you put it, of dogs.

No simply trying to get you to understand what the sentiment of that poster logically entails. Dont like it? I obviously can help that.

Btw strangely you are the only one referring to "all" or 'dogs'. This is what I said in my initial comment.
    To be fair - the sentiment on that poster really makes no sense when we acknowledge that humans are only one species of many.

Unless as some are suggesting it is to involve the wiping out of those species, all because someones ideology doesn't agree with what others eat. Crazy that this is being advocated and even applauded imo. But there you go....

I think you maybe missing the point there again.

No. It's called satire :rolleyes:

No. It's called satire :rolleyes:

Dogs are 'satire'? Interesting point of view ...

• Advertisement

Oatley.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oatly started putting their carbon emission on their packaging.

5v27Yf2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ohh i hope the likes coffee and chocolate Do the same

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ganmo wrote: »
    Ohh i hope the likes coffee and chocolate Do the same

Me too, I'd like it on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Me too, I'd like it on everything.

+1

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Amsterdam

Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Toronto.

My eggs are free range who lay naturally and I typically visit the hens and mind them for my neighbour when they are away.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    My eggs are free range who lay naturally and I typically visit the hens and mind them for my neighbour when they are away.

It's quite amazing that most of these 'billboards' depict the absolute worst of all possible welfare issues as a scare tactic. Not only is it dishonest - it is little better than the usual excesses of politicised propaganda imo.

Is there room for improvement in the commercial production of eggs. Yes there is.

I get it many plant advocates dont want to eat eggs and thats fine. But please don't pretend these posters are highlighting that any of them are for welfare reasons.

I've been told many times that Veganism does not support improvements in animal welfare. Rather - it looks for the abolishment and the complete eradication of all domestic species off the face of the planet (whether those animals are well cared for or otherwise). I think a poster about that would much better and to the point tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Not a billboard, something better: a shop window.

O'Mahoney's Bookshop, Parnell Street, Ennis, Saturday 4th May 2019. Fair play to 'em.

Advertisement