Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a foot in the door....

Options
  • 12-04-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭

Without sounding like Spud in Trainspotting, I was wondering how to go about expressing an interest in a school that i know might have have jobs in my subjects, history and geography, coming up in the next 2 years.

Currently I am on my first year out doing the Droichead 200 hours , i have these finished now in my second placement school from the PME. I am doing all resource classes this year,some with special needs students, Autism,DS etc. Its nice work and very local although a bit too local literally in my home town that dosent bother me overly but i would not be sure I would like to be teaching full time there as I know a lot of parents and live among them. Getting very well with staff and students though in what is a rough and tumble mixed school.

anway my first placement school has some teachers out sick and another coming towards retirement next year these three teachers are all in my subjects. one teacher is out 3/4 of the year the last 5 years also in my subjects. I got on very well in that school with managment and staff and students.My question is should i chance going in with a CV and being available for subbing in that school come september. One of the jobs was advertised in january but although i wasnt in a position to take it i rang the DP who I get on very well with to tell her my story, she was in agreement i should stay where i was doing Droichead but to put in an application for the job so that it would be on file. The job was kind of sick leave and the teacher could be back at any time.The DP was not sure if it was even legal to advertise the job but they were desperate to get students a teacher for JC. Sorry for the long post but just looking for advice should i make myself availble to sub in this school in the hope of getting to cover these classes in my own subjects or stay in the school I am in and do resource for the next few years, there is no sign i have been told of getting classes in my subjects. the DP in my current school seems keen to keep me here doing resource and subbing on the spot from day to day. If i got the choice between a job in either school i would take the other school as its not as local but still only 10 miles away. any advice appreciated, jsut wanting to know how to go about it without looking desperate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Without sounding like Spud in Trainspotting, I was wondering how to go about expressing an interest in a school that i know might have have jobs in my subjects, history and geography, coming up in the next 2 years.

Currently I am on my first year out doing the Droichead 200 hours , i have these finished now in my second placement school from the PME. I am doing all resource classes this year,some with special needs students, Autism,DS etc. Its nice work and very local although a bit too local literally in my home town that dosent bother me overly but i would not be sure I would like to be teaching full time there as I know a lot of parents and live among them. Getting very well with staff and students though in what is a rough and tumble mixed school.

anway my first placement school has some teachers out sick and another coming towards retirement next year these three teachers are all in my subjects. one teacher is out 3/4 of the year the last 5 years also in my subjects. I got on very well in that school with managment and staff and students.My question is should i chance going in with a CV and being available for subbing in that school come september. One of the jobs was advertised in january but although i wasnt in a position to take it i rang the DP who I get on very well with to tell her my story, she was in agreement i should stay where i was doing Droichead but to put in an application for the job so that it would be on file. The job was kind of sick leave and the teacher could be back at any time.The DP was not sure if it was even legal to advertise the job but they were desperate to get students a teacher for JC. Sorry for the long post but just looking for advice should i make myself availble to sub in this school in the hope of getting to cover these classes in my own subjects or stay in the school I am in and do resource for the next few years, there is no sign i have been told of getting classes in my subjects. the DP in my current school seems keen to keep me here doing resource and subbing on the spot from day to day. If i got the choice between a job in either school i would take the other school as its not as local but still only 10 miles away. any advice appreciated, jsut wanting to know how to go about it without looking desperate!

To be honest, I would wait until a job is advertised at this stage. You have already told them you are available. If you do not get anything during the summer, contact the DP and tell her that you're available. Hours can become available in September. Keep applying for RPTs/Fixed Terms as well.

FYI, just because there is a retirement, doesn't mean there will be a job for a number of reasons - the school could over quota, there may be teachers on staff who have those subjects who may be part-time and who have to have their timetables filled first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

THANKS yeah im aware of all that, but just thinking of putting myself into a school where there might be possibles over one where there are none.

THANKS yeah im aware of all that, but just thinking of putting myself into a school where there might be possibles over one where there are none.

I know that but you don't want to look desperate and at this time of the year schools haven't started to work on the timetable. Plenty of time yet. If you don't have anything in September, print off your CV and hand deliver to any school within your area and make sure to meet the deputy.

yes exactly really dont want to sound desperate but also realy want to get myself into that school!

yes exactly really dont want to sound desperate but also realy want to get myself into that school!

Don't set all your hopes on one school. Your priority is to get a job that will ultimately lead to a CID and that's the school you should be loyal to.

• Advertisement

its just there seems to be a better teaching prospects in this school compared to where i am

Advertisement