Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starlings

• 29-03-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

I just gave a quick google before posting and apparently starlings are resident in Ireland all year round. I thought they were like swallows and fecked off for the winter and came back late spring. I was just about to post that I have seen my first starlings of the year (3 of them looking quiet knackered outside my house at the moment) I know from observation that they flock together in autumn and then disappear for the winter but this seems to conflict with what I read on Bird Watch Ireland.

Am I missing something or do I just have weird Starlings?

https://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Starling/tabid/446/Default.aspx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We actually have more starlings in Winter, as the resident breeding birds are joined by birds from the continent. They certainly flock throughout the Winter and then disperse for breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I always assumed they migrated. My starlings always gather on the wires and disappear for the winter. are they just going to breeding grounds elsewhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

I'm mad about starlings. Constantly trying to expand my nest box towns for them.

It's been my observation that The Winter Flock will be what ye'll see, on the wires and creating those breath taking 'Murmerations' as the light starts to fade.

That lot will drop down into a fir plantation, eg. To roost together in the warmest place for so many.

But, my tenants ~ the birds who have taken over a nest box ~ tend to come home to that, instead. They sleep in it partly for the shelter, and also simply to keep their squatters rights, I guess?

What ever; They're all freshening up their nest box linings now. One or two begun that back in October. But, that's just freaky!

Why not get some nest boxes up? 9", rough plank should make ye three. 45mm hole. I'd be delighted to provide ye my personal blue print.

And, if ye haven't got a 45mm hole cutter and auger? Show me pictures of ye boxes, without the door. I'll cut the doors myself and send them to ye, holes ready cut.

I have a couple of dozen starling boxes up, so far. Last year I ringed over a hundred chicks in them.

Sod it. How about this? Couple of years back, light was about to go. I looked up and saw a pair of starlings sitting in the tree above one of my sites. Obviously wishing they had a box, like all the others along that wall.

On a mad impulse, I swore and dashed into my work room. Power saw. Hammer. Drill. Dashed out with a fresh box. Hung it. Then, walking back up the path, I stood at my door and watched as they flew down and adopted their new home! :eek:

That's how desperate these beautiful, beneficial and troubled birds are for a nesting place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Stigura wrote: »
    Sod it. How about this? Couple of years back, light was about to go. I looked up and saw a pair of starlings sitting in the tree above one of my sites. Obviously wishing they had a box, like all the others along that wall.

On a mad impulse, I swore and dashed into my work room. Power saw. Hammer. Drill. Dashed out with a fresh box. Hung it. Then, walking back up the path, I stood at my door and watched as they flew down and adopted their new home! :eek:

That's how desperate these beautiful, beneficial and troubled birds are for a nesting place.

My eyes are raining. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Theyre nesting in my tiles on my shed. No problem with that except when they can see me through the window they get all annoyed that I can see them. Mad bastids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

.....One or two begun that back in October. But, that's just freaky!

Peregrines can go through a 'False Bonding' process in early November. The "light levels" are the same as they would be in February, when the pairs do bond. So it's not that freaky if you look at it from that perspective, just that it's at the opposite side of the solstice......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm mad about starlings. Constantly trying to expand my nest box towns for them.

It's been my observation that The Winter Flock will be what ye'll see, on the wires and creating those breath taking 'Murmerations' as the light starts to fade.

That lot will drop down into a fir plantation, eg. To roost together in the warmest place for so many.

But, my tenants ~ the birds who have taken over a nest box ~ tend to come home to that, instead. They sleep in it partly for the shelter, and also simply to keep their squatters rights, I guess?

What ever; They're all freshening up their nest box linings now. One or two begun that back in October. But, that's just freaky!

Why not get some nest boxes up? 9", rough plank should make ye three. 45mm hole. I'd be delighted to provide ye my personal blue print.

And, if ye haven't got a 45mm hole cutter and auger? Show me pictures of ye boxes, without the door. I'll cut the doors myself and send them to ye, holes ready cut.

I have a couple of dozen starling boxes up, so far. Last year I ringed over a hundred chicks in them.

Love starlings too, would love the blueprints and any info on best place to place it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lordgoat wrote: »
    Love starlings too, would love the blueprints and any info on best place to place it etc.
    RSPBs design is a fairly standard, and simple bird box.
    Any large bird box with 45mm hole and fitted 2.5m.up preferably facing North or East.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/give-nature-a-home-in-your-garden/garden-activities/createacosystarlinghome/

lordgoat wrote: »

Lordgoat; Expect a PM, my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Lordgoat; Expect a PM, my friend ;)

I would like a copy of that pm too please!!!

32595392555_d9173fb51c_c.jpgDSCN4642 by pat, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Mech1; You have PM. I hope ye sitting comfortable? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Thanks its perfect info.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Always Starlings in my garden, they are great birds.
    Lately though I keep seeing them in pairs and while one searches for food in the grass the other one is constantly looking up and around for predators. The starling searching for food does not look like a chick either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Up to 20 years ago A flock covering a couple acres and numbering in probably tens of thousands was a common site here, now 30 in a group stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

I'm always amazed to see starlings inhabiting the open air carpark of my local shopping centre. They're in the trees and under the cars. They seem to live there. No fear of humans. That's all year round. I'm presuming it's because there are a number of burger and takeaway restaurants in close proximity, some actually opening out onto the carpark. Love watching them.

Advertisement