Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3d printing services in Ireland

• 02-02-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for a reliable 3d printing service.
    Mostly for prototyping in PLA.

I've used 3d hubs previously, but found the quality varies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Find a uni who are investigating biodegradeable plastics, nearly every lab has a side-gig in prototyping for small businesses and entrepreneurs. Would help out myself but I'm swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Laser Prototypes in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Donnachain1

Ive used https://www.ua3dprinting.ie quite a few times and have always found them very good, helpfull, fast to answer and good quality 3D prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Poly wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations for a reliable 3d printing service.
    Mostly for prototyping in PLA.

I've used 3d hubs previously, but found the quality varies.

Depends on what quality you're willing to tolerate. With domestic printers (filament ones and UV resin - I owned them all) you find that if you print say 5 parts they all look fine on their own but don't fit together. Every home printer has some kind of inescapable bias.

If you want prints that are actually dimensionally accurate then only https://www.shapeways.com/ will do it properly for you. It's expensive as hell.

My secret sauce is going on Alibaba and commissioning prints from different suppliers. I split the master print in 2-3 pieces and distribute the task among different outlets so they can't steal the design. They *usually* do a good job, sometimes it sucks. However they will fix up your model for free and talk to you like people unlike Shapeways.

So I make test prints on my private printer, then send the high-res master to outlets in China.

Also home printing (and by extension 'hubs') also sucks on the software side. I sometimes need to use multi-resolution for things like creases, fur in sculptures but the moment you get that involved the polygon count is abysmal and no STL slicer will process the model. The home workflow is optimized for cybertruck polygon count, not proper smooth surfaces. When I make a cylinedr I want it to be a cylinder not a polyhedron.

• Advertisement

Depends on what quality you're willing to tolerate. With domestic printers (filament ones and UV resin - I owned them all) you find that if you print say 5 parts they all look fine on their own but don't fit together. Every home printer has some kind of inescapable bias.

If you want prints that are actually dimensionally accurate then only https://www.shapeways.com/ will do it properly for you. It's expensive as hell.

My secret sauce is going on Alibaba and commissioning prints from different suppliers. I split the master print in 2-3 pieces and distribute the task among different outlets so they can't steal the design. They *usually* do a good job, sometimes it sucks. However they will fix up your model for free and talk to you like people unlike Shapeways.

So I make test prints on my private printer, then send the high-res master to outlets in China.

Also home printing (and by extension 'hubs') also sucks on the software side. I sometimes need to use multi-resolution for things like creases, fur in sculptures but the moment you get that involved the polygon count is abysmal and no STL slicer will process the model. The home workflow is optimized for cybertruck polygon count, not proper smooth surfaces. When I make a cylinedr I want it to be a cylinder not a polyhedron.

I would not go back to Shapeways ever again, for personal or professional printing.

They lost orders, delayed orders, misstated the resolution they could print to, cancelled orders at last minute and finally, send me a print claiming it was one material, when in fact it was bog standard PLA. The only thing they were effective at was the refund.

I'm lucky I now share a Projet 3500 HD max with 3 other people, as the hubs and the likes of Shapeways are somehow making money despite producing inferior product and providing abysmal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FrancisSobotka

[QUOTE=
    I'm lucky I now share a Projet 3500 HD max with 3 other people, as the hubs and the likes of Shapeways are somehow making money despite producing inferior product and providing abysmal service.[/QUOTE]

Hi Alphabetcards
    Do you offer the services of the Projet 3500 on a commercial basis? do you use the Visijet crystal material?
    My current (UK) supplier has an issue with their machine and I am searching for an alternatate source...

Hi Alphabetcards
    Do you offer the services of the Projet 3500 on a commercial basis? do you use the Visijet crystal material?
    My current (UK) supplier has an issue with their machine and I am searching for an alternatate source...

Afraid not, it belongs to an academic.

Advertisement