Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Dia daoibh. Is mise Sigmund agus is as na hOileáin Fharó (Na Scigirí i Sean-Ghaeilge) dom.

Gabh mo leithscéal, ach beidh mé ar aghaidh i mBéarla. (feel free to correct me, because this was cooked up based on a google translation and what I knew, e.g. that "ar aghaidh" is forward)

Two things.

1) I see that some people use the "reverse fada" and write e.g. "slàn", but Irish doesn't use this diacritic. However, the neighbour of Irish, Gàidhlig, uses it.

2) People usually write Gaeltacht, but I believe the regular spelling is Gaelteacht (because of the slender vowel in front of -lt- a slender vowel should follow it).

Any comments?

PS: I would have loved to be able to write something meaningul in Irish here, but my vocabulary is quite restricted at the moment, so the two lines at the start will have to do for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

sigmundv wrote: »
    Dia daoibh. Is mise Sigmund agus is as na hOileáin Fharó (Na Scigirí i Sean-Ghaeilge) .

Gabh mo leithscéal, ach beidh mé ag dul ar aghaidh i mBéarla.

Hi sigmund, some corrections there, 'beidh mé ar aghaidh' would translate as something like 'I will ahead' the addition of 'ag dul' gives 'I will be going ahead'

Personally I would use something like 'Gabh mo leithscéal, ach beidh an cuid eile i mBéarla' - 'Pardon me' but the rest will be in English' That seems a somewhat more natural turn of phrase to me.

For no. 1, some people may have dificulty finding the correct fada on their computer and think 'close enough' but you are correct, Irish does not have a reverse fada.

On no 2, My grammer is not great, but I can't recall having seen that spelling of the word Gaeltacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Gaeltacht is spelt correctly. Compound words ignore this rule (much like ospidéal, etc.). Gael + tacht roughly means area/place of Irish people.

An Coilean's correction is mostly fine, although cuid is feminine, so it should be renderd as "an chuid". I also prefer "as Béarla", i mBéarla is fine, too, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Samantha4

Gumbi wrote: »
    Gaeltacht is spelt correctly. Compound words ignore this rule (much like ospidéal, etc.). Gael + tacht roughly means area/place of Irish people.

An Coilean's correction is mostly fine, although cuid is feminine, so it should be renderd as "an chuid". I also prefer "as Béarla", i mBéarla is fine, too, though.

I concur with Gumbi, Gaeltacht is the correct spelling (and Galltacht refers to the English speaking parts of Ireland). As is "an chuid" (after the article). Yeah, Gaidhlig uses the reverse 'síneadh fada', so if people are using that, well, they either want to live in Scotland or else they just need to take a closer look at their typing:) Beidh an aimsir bhreá chugainn inniu, bainigí go léir bús as an mbrothall

2) People usually write Gaeltacht, but I believe the regular spelling is Gaelteacht (because of the slender vowel in front of -lt- a slender vowel should follow it).

Any comments?

On the other hand..."Gaelteacht" is what they used at all the major battles such as the Battle of the Boyne when they saw any Irish heading their direction. Code for "Gael ag Teacht":)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭MaryKirwan

How would you say "I haven't moved out yet" (from a house)?

MaryKirwan wrote: »
    How would you say "I haven't moved out yet" (from a house)?

Hi Mary, there are a few different ways of saying it, as always. The one that comes to mind 'ar an bpointe boise' is

'nílim tar éis aistriú go fóill' or else

'níor aistríos/níor aistrigh mé go fóill'.

Also: 'níl aistrithe agam go fóill'

It's better to use 'aistrithe' combined with the preposition 'ag', 'agam' in the type of example you have given rather than simply 'nílim aistrithe' which doesn't carry the meaning you are looking for. In the same way, you'd say 'tá ite agam' for I have eaten, rather than just use 'ite' independently.

In the right context, you can just use "níor bhogas fós/bhog mé fós" to keep it simple. The other suggestions are good too.

My favourite Irish job title so far:

Stiúrthóir grianghrafadóireachta
    (director of photography)

Got to love the word grianghrafadóireacht! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Samantha4 wrote: »

Any comments?

On the other hand..."Gaelteacht" is what they used at all the major battles such as the Battle of the Boyne when they saw any Irish heading their direction. Code for "Gael ag Teacht":)

We’re all lead to believe that the vowels are broken down into slender (e & i) and broad (a, o, & u). What they didn’t tell us is that ‘ae’ is also treated as broad. That’s why we have ‘Gaeltacht’, ‘aerfort’, ‘aeráid’ :)

• Advertisement

We’re all lead to believe that the vowels are broken down into slender (e & i) and broad (a, o, & u). What they didn’t tell us is that ‘ae’ is also treated as broad. That’s why we have ‘Gaeltacht’, ‘aerfort’, ‘aeráid’ :)

This is true! I knew I was forgetting something mentioning just the compound words' point.

Thank you very much for pointing this out! I see it in the Wikibook on Irish as well:
    The golden rule for spelling in Irish, caol le caol agus leathan le leathan means slender with slender and broad with broad. The rule says that the vowels on either side of a consonant (or group of consonants) should agree; they should both be broad or both be slender. The rule is primarily used when you add an ending to a word (e.g., when conjugating a verb). To satisfy the rule you may need to add a vowel between the word and its ending. Note that there are a few common words (such as ansin and anseo) that do not satisfy this rule. However, the diphthong "ae" is considered broad, making words such as "Gaeltacht" and "aerfort" perfectly acceptable.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Irish/Spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. What does 'Cloch Le Carn' mean? I just saw a YT video clip about the program 'Cloch Le Carn - Martin McGuinness on RTE One'. It covers various people.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Is 'Cloch Le Carn' even an Irish word?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Worztron wrote: »

It's a phrase rather than a word.

From http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4282688&tpl=archnewshome&force=1
    'Cloch Le Carn’ series producer Kevin Cummins (Léargas) tells IFTN: “The title of this occasional series ‘Cloch le Carn’ could be literally interpreted as ‘adding a stone to the funeral mound’ but in reality the series is taking a constructive but not always uncritical look at public figures who've made a controversial contribution to Irish society in their lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Cloch is a stone, carn is a pile or heap of something.  It's the origin of the word cairn in English - people refer to a stone cairn at the top of a hill to mark a spot, or similar.  I've never heard the specific phrase "cloch le carn" myself, but I assume it's something along the lines of someone/something being akin to a key building block, part of a greater whole, one among many or similar.

What does 'Rm Uile' [displays properly in attached image] mean in English? It's the CIT motto. Thanks.

478913.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

According to their own websites, it means "Let us all achieve together".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It's an Irish phrase, meaning "as a cairn is put together by many stones, so, if each of us adds a stone to a cairn, we will build it together". Or "many hands make light work", if you like.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Insect Overlord & Rechuchote.

Is the Irish words for 'explore', 'read', & 'learn' on this page incorrect? http://www.corkcitylibraries.ie/en/

Two of them have a fada too many - "Foghlaimígí" should be "Foghlaimigí", and "Fiosraígí" should be "Fiosraigí". "Léigí" is fine though.

mr chips wrote: »
    Two of them have a fada too many - "Foghlaimígí" should be "Foghlaimigí", and "Fiosraígí" should be "Fiosraigí". "Léigí" is fine though.

I would've said they were fine as they are. Both of those verbs are in the Dara Réimniú.

Feck, you're right about that - my mistake!

The Glenroe theme tune is called 'CuaichGhleann Ninn' [the proper text appears on the Wiki page - for some odd reason, Irish words still don't show properly in my posts] - what's the translation in English?
    • Little Cuckoo of Glen Nephin
    • Little Cuckoo of Glen Nefin
    • Other?
    Thanks.

• Little Cuckoo of Glen Nephin

That one, I reckon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephin

That said, "cuaichín" can be a term of endearment for a female singer with a sweet voice.

Hi. Is this [image attached] a correct way of saying Happy New Year? Thanks. :)
    499038.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could replace 'is' with 'agus'? (It would have the side-effect of centralising your image too.. )

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Hi guys. Would this be correct? -- School of the Holy Spirit = Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh

Advertisement