Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you afford a new electric car next year?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tossy wrote: »
    On this, lets say you drive an EV to and from work, you know when you get home you'll have a pretty low percentage but that's ok as you charge at home overnight and it's always fully charged in the morning. Lets say 20 mins after getting home you have a family emergency and for whatever reason you have to drive 40/50 miles to Hospital - Elderly relative whatever. What do you do then.

My car at 100% will give in theory 260km of city driving in this weather so one charge nearly does me a week but I still charge back to 100% in work as we have the access.

If an emergency like that popped up, it would depend to be honest. My relatives all live in Dublin/Ashbourne so I wouldn’t have to travel far and never beyond the range of the i3. (Yet).

galwaytt wrote: »
    Speaking of Leafs (Leaves ??) - a colleague got a 6 month old one, in 2013.

Here we are, a mere 6 years later, and it will barely do 60 miles on a full charge.

ICE cars suffer from neither range anxiety nor depleting range due to age. My 2001 Audi's range is the same now as it was in...........2001.

Anything with a battery in it suffers the same ultimate fate: phones, laptops, power tools, and yes, even a PowerWall suffer it eventually.

100km for a first gen Leaf is quite good. As long as it suits his present needs then it’s perfect. I like the ICE, his car will Co. Tonite to be cheaper to run, cheaper to insure and cheaper to maintain so maybe the pros offset the negatives in this senario.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The poll result may be a bit biased against EVs.

I voted yes because I can afford an EV.
    Problem is the vehicle I'm due to replace next year can't be replaced by an EV and the one that can be is not due for replacement.

So the fact of being able to afford an EV is only part of the picture.
    People have complex vehicle requirements and it's not a one size fits all situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Currently living in California and got myself an eGolf 4 months ago for my work commute and a bit around town at the weekends. I have a 16 mile round trip commute to work 4 days per week and a bit of usage outside of that. Works perfectly for a second car for us and I only need to charge it once per week really. Could probably get 9/10 days out of it, but why bother going to near zero charge.

Primary family car is an ICE SUV, which we need for the longer journeys and boot capacity etc for kid's buggy, airport runs for relatives as well.... so the eGolf fits perfectly as a second car.

In saying that, the cost here is a lot less than in Ireland. Brand new 2019 that I got here was ~$30K, which on today's rate is ~EUR 27K. To buy the same car in Ireland is EUR 38K brand new. Both figures there include government incentives on price already included.... so ballpark a EUR 11K difference in price.

Needs to be more in that ballpark to make adoption easier, which will then filter into the second hand market. If nobody buys new, there are no second hand cars. VRT is the killer in Ireland. Always has been and always will be.

We plan to move back to Ireland in a few years and I'll definitely buy an EV if the price is right as they are a great car to drive. So much fun compared to ICE! Our family car is a Hyundai Santa Fe 3.4 L petrol, 290 BHP. So a fairly nippy motor... it's fast. When I get back into it after driving the EV, it feels so sluggish when accelerating. I think if most people took a test drive in an EV, they wouldn't look back (obviously range issues don't suit everyone's lifestyle or profession). If it works for you, I would recommend to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

galwaytt wrote: »
    Speaking of Leafs (Leaves ??) - a colleague got a 6 month old one, in 2013.

Here we are, a mere 6 years later, and it will barely do 60 miles on a full charge.

ICE cars suffer from neither range anxiety nor depleting range due to age. My 2001 Audi's range is the same now as it was in...........2001.

Anything with a battery in it suffers the same ultimate fate: phones, laptops, power tools, and yes, even a PowerWall suffer it eventually.

Hate to tell you but the range is not the same and that Audi is no where near the same car that was sold in 2001.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

HP/PCP/personal loan I could buy one no problem. Will probably still buy a petrol

Very few people can afford to buy ICE outright either. The delta that can buy ice but not EV outright is tiny

Yes but there is a very long list of cars I’d be buying before even considering an electric car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Can i afford one next year? Yes. Would I want one? No chance. I won't switch to EV until I have absolutely no choice.

There's not a nice looking EV out yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My comfortable budget is €30-35k so I couldn't afford an eGolf at €39k. Even if I could I'd prefer a demo model GTI or something at that price.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    My comfortable budget is €30-35k so I couldn't afford an eGolf at €39k. Even if I could I'd prefer a demo model GTI or something at that price.

eGolf do sell at less than 39k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Won't be buying one on principle alone.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Won't be buying one on principle alone.

Of course you wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Had a little giggle at the irony here.

Bummer of a situation though, no offense intended.

Hopefully the Hyundai’s electrics are more reliable than an 07 Megane.

Shouldn’t be too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I drive a 9 year old petrol car. I’ll have it for another 3 or 4 years at least. I have never been and most likely never will be able to afford a new car or any type let alone afford the ridiculous price of EV’s.

Poorly thought out poll is poorly thought out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    eGolf do sell at less than 39k

True but that's one with spec to match my Highline. Reversing camera, winter pack, digital dash etc. I'd be interested to know if there's much discount on them. I've definitely seen a good few of them around in recent months.

Nice car to drive and fairly stylish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,121 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What we really need is a proper calculator where you put in your current vehicle and useage details and you get a proper calculation of what you is the best choice for you. Most of the manufacturers use zero % depreciation in their calculations.

It's funny reading EV preachers talking about them saving €3k a year in fuel/tax savings but forgetting their car is losing €5k plus a year in depreciation and they have been completely brainwashed like fools in to thinking the car grew on a tree at the bottom of their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

EV cars are a step in the right direction. A trend towards more sustainable and less polluting personal transportation. A direction subsidised by government at the behest of a European Union wide policy of reducing pollution and promoting sustainability.
    Just a step mind you, a teeny tiny stepeen of a movement that's set to grow expodentially, changing the way we do almost everything, from what we wear, to what we eat, how we wash, go to the toilet, how many kids we have, how our homes are built, where we go on holiday, what drugs I am prescribed, you name it and it's gonna change baby.

What we really need is a proper calculator where you put in your current vehicle and useage details and you get a proper calculation of what you is the best choice for you. Most of the manufacturers use zero % depreciation in their calculations.

It's funny reading EV preachers talking about them saving €3k a year in fuel/tax savings but forgetting their car is losing €5k plus a year in depreciation and they have been completely brainwashed like fools in to thinking the car grew on a tree at the bottom of their garden.

But isn't this is the case for all cars, no? The depreciation, not the fuel savings.

E
    It's funny reading ICE preachers talking about them saving €3k a year in fuel/tax savings but forgetting their car is losing €5k plus a year in depreciation and they have been completely brainwashed like fools in to thinking the car grew on a tree at the bottom of their garden.

This argument is the same for all cars, EV, ICE or other. Generally EV’s have appreciated at the lower end but as with any car, I wouldn’t expect to buy a brand new car today and for it not to depreciate.

But, there are many cases of buying second hand cars that have appreciated. I could list out every car I’ve owned and 90% of them have appreciated in value before I sold them or I bought cheap. That list includes patrols, diesels and EV.

• Advertisement

I bought my mother a Leaf 2 years ago for under 7k, I could sell today for 8k+ today, with 30k km more on it and 2 years older

I bought my eGolf 3 years ago and lost 4K when I sold it recently, that’s was with putting on 60k Kim’s on it.....a combustion Golf loses 4K per year as a guideline without even taking into consideration mileage

So what’s this about depreciation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

My next door neighbour recently bought an EV

He can drive it to work where there is a bank of chargers, charge it up while at work then the charge easily gets him home and back the next day.

Can do a slower charge over the weekend or put it charging in town when doing the shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Of course you wouldn't.

That's correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

kceire wrote: »
    ... I wouldn’t expect to buy a brand new car today and for it not to depreciate.....every car I’ve owned and 90% of them have appreciated....

Were none of them new cars?

Effectively thats what used car dealers do.
    Sell a car for more than they buy it for.

beauf wrote: »
    Were none of them new cars?

Effectively thats what used car dealers do.
    Sell a car for more than they buy it for.

Correct. I’ve never bought new before. Would love to some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Main car is a diesel Octavia, can't see an EV replacing that for a few years, anyhow.

But the other car is a Mini Cooper and there's an electric one out next March, I may go for one of those.

Main car is a diesel Octavia, can't see an EV replacing that for a few years, anyhow.

But the other car is a Mini Cooper and there's an electric one out next March, I may go for one of those.

Hondas new compact electric looks pretty funky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Maybe just plug it in before you go to bed? Depending on the car you should get 30-50km of charge per hour.

Or if you drive 24hrs a day you can use a fast charger where you can get up to 200km of charge in less time than filling a diesel and going to the toilet.

Plug it in where? Way too many people don't have a driveway? I wonder how many thousands of cars use on street parking in Dublin alone. all my area is pay and display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Skatedude wrote: »
    Plug it in where? Are you assuming most people have a driveway? I wonder how many thousands of cars use on street parking in Dublin alone. That's why electric cars can't replace ICE for many years to come.

All you need is more street and petrol station chargers to solve that, and bigger range so you charge less often.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    Plug it in where? Way too many people don't have a driveway? I wonder how many thousands of cars use on street parking in Dublin alone. all my area is pay and display.

Then an EV may not suit those people. But you have off street parking and pay and display in your area so your grand.

Advertisement