Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax return, P50 or P21

Options
  • 17-07-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I did finish my last job in July 2018 and since then I wasnt working and I did not receive any benefit in 2018 until now (July 2019). Can I still send a P50 form to revenue for my tax refund on 2018? or should I just request balancing statement P21 for 2018?

There is a question on P50 about Jobseeker's benefit - what should I say if this is related to 2018 and only receiving benefit in 2019.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

olakki wrote: »
    Hi,

I did finish my last job in July 2018 and since then I wasnt working and I did not receive any benefit in 2018 until now (July 2019). Can I still send a P50 form to revenue for my tax refund on 2018? or should I just request balancing statement P21 for 2018?

There is a question on P50 about Jobseeker's benefit - what should I say if this is related to 2018 and only receiving benefit in 2019.

Request a p21 online for 2018. Your 2019 situation has no bearing on 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 olakki

Ok thats great. Thank you

PS So what's the difference between P21 and P50?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

olakki wrote: »
    Ok thats great. Thank you

PS So what's the difference between P21 and P50?

A P21 is a balancing statement showing you your pay and tax details for a particular tax year. In generating it, it shows you if you've underpaid tax, paid the correct amount of tax or overpaid. If you've overpaid tax then it's automatically refunded to you when the P21 is generated. You can only request a P21 after the end of a tax year.

A P50 is a form you fill out to claim a refund of tax during an active tax year when you've become unemployed.

Advertisement