Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling a rented house - CGT ??

Options
  • 17-07-2019 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

HI
    I am thinking of selling a house I owned and lived in for a few years after I bought it.
    During the downturn I built another house which I now live in and rent the other property for the last 5 years or so.

Just wonder how Capital Gain Tax will work out if the sale price is around the as the purchase of the house 14 years ago.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

based on what you say should not be much tax to pay, you will have disposal costs which will reduce the sale price as well as acquisition costs which will increase the cost price
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/selling-a-house/index.aspx
    You can then claim a 1,270 annual exemption which comes off the gain ( NOT the tax due as folk often think)
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/cgt-exemptions.aspx
    You may get partial relief fo it being your PPR for 9 years, someone else where will clarify :)
    HTH

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You will get some relief for the amount of time lived in it too yes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Does the €1270 exemption apply for every year it was your ppr or is it just a once off when you come to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Steer55 wrote: »
    Does the €1270 exemption apply for every year it was your ppr or is it just a once off when you come to sell?

It’s per owner in the year of disposal so the max value per owner is €1,270 x 33%.

Advertisement