Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat bringing clothes home

Options
  • 15-07-2019 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We have two kittens (well, they're nearly 10 months old now) and one of them has started to bring clothes home! We think she's getting them from someone's clothes line/hanger, but we've no idea whose. There have been some socks etc., but last week it was a pillowcase and this week it's a football top! She leaves them on the step outside the cat flap.

Anyone any experience with this? I'm thinking I need to try to find out where she's going (assuming it's only one house she's taking them from). Anyone any experience with Cat GPS systems, so I can see where she's going?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there,

We have two kittens (well, they're nearly 10 months old now) and one of them has started to bring clothes home! We think she's getting them from someone's clothes line/hanger, but we've no idea whose. There have been some socks etc., but last week it was a pillowcase and this week it's a football top! She leaves them on the step outside the cat flap.

Anyone any experience with this? I'm thinking I need to try to find out where she's going (assuming it's only one house she's taking them from). Anyone any experience with Cat GPS systems, so I can see where she's going?

Thanks...

Now THAT is a clever cat!

Have you seen her with them though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Not with the clothes she's brought home, but I have seen her carrying feathers, bits of moss etc. in her mouth and leaving them outside the door. In the house we've seen her picking up hair bands and a small blanket and walking around with them.

Have to figure out how to get the stuff back to the original owners!

Not with the clothes she's brought home, but I have seen her carrying feathers, bits of moss etc. in her mouth and leaving them outside the door. In the house we've seen her picking up hair bands and a small blanket and walking around with them.

Have to figure out how to get the stuff back to the original owners!

lol.. Have had some crazy cats in my long life but this beats all!

https://youtu.be/M64tZhRM7XI

Does yours bring home ladies underwear? That would make for some interesting conversation when you find the owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I used to have a cat who did this too and never got to the bottom of where the stuff came from! It was only ever socks and underwear though....she also liked to use the toilet like a human but dam animal never learned to flush!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Any chance of a pair of 501's :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Do they fit?

https://youtu.be/M64tZhRM7XI

Does yours bring home ladies underwear? That would make for some interesting conversation when you find the owners!

Ha! Well, at least I know she's not the only cat doing it! Might have to look at some sort of GPS system, seeing that video makes me think she might be going to more than one garden!

beertons wrote: »
    Do they fit?

I wish, the football top is a special edition all black Liverpool jersey, I'd wear it myself it if were bigger!

And if she comes home with a pair of jeans I'd be very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So it isn't the washing machine that makes the socks disappear after all ....:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do you have a local Facebook group you could post pictures of the clothes on as long as its not underwear? Like a community alert group or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

This isn’t funny at all. I’d be so angry if it were my things going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

Hi there,

Thanks...

jesus I hope shes not a man u supporter :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m getting a kick out of this, sorry OP but it is very funny :) we had cats when younger, but we only got birds and the odd mouse.

em_cat wrote: »
    I’m getting a kick out of this, sorry OP but it is very funny :) we had cats when younger, but we only got birds and the odd mouse.

with mine it was rats... one was as big as my youngest cat.. I fell over the body as I was heading for the ferry ... gulp....

OP; maybe the start of a beautiful friendship when you trace the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Anyone any experience with Cat GPS systems, so I can see where she's going?

Thanks...

There are tiny wearable cams, cat-cams, that can be put on the cat's collar and record all the cat's daytrip.
    You will be able to see, once she's back home, not only where she's been, but even what technique she has to "steal" the clothes :)

As far as I can remember, cat-cams are way cheaper than Cat GPS receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you need to change your wardrobe OP?

Cat bringing clothes is a pretty drastic indicator.

Have to agree. Imagine it from the other side, and your teenage daughter's clothes were going missing from the washing line......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have to agree. Imagine it from the other side, and your teenage daughter's clothes were going missing from the washing line......

Oh, come on! We're hearing it from the other side and it is funny.

He said he wants to find out who the owners are. I'm sure if it is someone's teenage daughter, they would have a laugh and be relieved to find out it was a cat, rather than something more sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

I wish our cat stopped bringing live and dead mice to our front step! She's also brought a live pigeon from the roof down two full flights of stairs! And I had to get the bird out of the house!

• Advertisement

I wish our cat stopped bringing live and dead mice to our front step! She's also brought a live pigeon from the roof down two full flights of stairs! And I had to get the bird out of the house!

My new boy went through a phase ( making sure I loved him i think!) of bringing live wrens to me. Such a gentle mouth he has! Just asked him and he gave so
    would take them out to a thick old fuchsia and release them. I knew he felt safe here when that stopped and he started killing rats..

The items mentioned are not intimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pudner7

I love this. Cats are gas. This is gonna sound crazy but when my cat started bringing in dead birds (magpies) and leaving them at the foot of our new babies changing table I googled how to stop it. No joke - it had been asked before - a woman suggested bringing the baby to the cat and saying thank you for the presents to the cat and she had enough now and no more. It worked!! Maybe try it with your cat. Bring her the jersey (pity it's too small for ya) and tell her thank you but she doesn't need to bring anymore presents home. Worth a try!!!

Maybe stop your cat wandering around other people homes OP?
    Where is she ****ting? Other people's gardens, is she walking over their cars? Scratching their bonnets?
    Not sure why everyone in this country thinks you shouldn't let a dog roam but it's OK for cats.
    I had a garden destroyed by cat ****, disgusting.

I can see the funny side of it, but really it's not nice that someone's property is going missing, so we do hope to get the items back to them and figure out how to stop this. I'm really hoping it's only one house she's getting the items from.

She came home with a towel last night. So now we have a couple of socks, a Football Jersey, a Pillow Case and a Towel. Nothing else, nothing intimate and nothing dodgy.

We do have a Residence Group, however our house backs onto a different estate, and I'm fairly certain it's that estate (or further) she's going into, not ours, as whenever we see her coming back (though we haven't caught her carrying anything home yet) she's always come from the direction of the other estate.

I'll have a look at cat cams, that could help pinpoint it alright, though she comes back with stuff overnight, so I'll have to see if they work at night time.

Have to be honest, other than locking our cats in a house all day, I've no idea how to stop them wandering, just as other people's cats wander into our gardens sometimes. She uses a section of our back garden for a toilet.

And I don't think this will be the start of a beautiful friendship, my Wife might not be too impressed with that. Hopefully whomever owns these items will see the funny side of it, and hopefully we can figure out how to stop it! It might just be a clothes line that's easy to get at for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

OP does your cat wear a collar? Does s/he go wandering for long? I wonder if you could attach a note to her collar?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Can you maybe put up a few posters in the neighbourhood? Include an email/phone number and ask for the owners of the items to get in contact!

If it is one person maybe also get them a bottle of wine haha

She does wear a collar, when she doesn't lose it! We've gone through a few of them at this stage. The quick-release is essential so cats don't get stuck, but it does mean that collars go missing.

That said, I don't think I replaced her name tag since the last time she lost the collar, so my mobile number isn't on the collar. I need to replace that alright, but it would mean someone would have to hold her to read it, and I don't know how likely that is, she'd probably run away.

Had a look at cat cams, and it would actually be cheaper to get a GPS device. Will get one in the next few days, hopefully that will narrow down a route for us to check. As long as she doesn't lose the bloody collar with the GPS on it of course! Though at least we should be able to find it again... ;)

mlem123 wrote: »
    Can you maybe put up a few posters in the neighbourhood? Include an email/phone number and ask for the owners of the items to get in contact!

If it is one person maybe also get them a bottle of wine haha

That was my first thought, but with a few estates nearby I'm hoping the GPS collar can narrow it down for us first. Will definitely give them some wine to say sorry for the hassle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bubblypop wrote: »
    Maybe stop your cat wandering around other people homes OP?
    Where is she ****ting? Other people's gardens, is she walking over their cars? Scratching their bonnets?
    Not sure why everyone in this country thinks you shouldn't let a dog roam but it's OK for cats.
    I had a garden destroyed by cat ****, disgusting.

+1 × 1000

Advertisement