Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire 70.3 bike route

• 10-07-2019 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anybody biked the route for this year? Seems tweaked a little from before.

I covered most of the route except the bit from Enniskerry up to the back of Powerscourt and down through the estate.

It looks to me that it comes out from Powerscourt via a private entrance, so it may not be possible to cover that piece before the event?

Anybody familiar with that section do you know if thats the case?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I didnt realise they changed the route until I saw this. It wont be possible to do that route before the race. There are 3 sets of gates that would prevent it. First at the top of the golf course, then the riverwalk entrance and then the exit out onto the road at lovers leap. The road between the last two gate is mentioned is a members only section of the powerscourt estate, good fast downhill section from the first gate to the left turn and then flat as a pancake to the third gate. Lovely spot.

The hill when you turn right in Enniskerry up to Kilmolin is a killer you can certainly do that bit as its open.

The closest you can probably get to it is to go up Kilmolin and take the left towards Oonagh and then rejoin the route at the bottom of old long hill. Thats not the nicest section of road but clsoest to the course without doubling back down towards Enniskerry and following the old route

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

The hill when you turn right in Enniskerry up to Kilmolin is a killer you can certainly do that bit as its open.

The closest you can probably get to it is to go up Kilmolin and take the left towards Oonagh and then rejoin the route at the bottom of old long hill. Thats not the nicest section of road but clsoest to the course without doubling back down towards Enniskerry and following the old route

Thanks for that, I have a go at that this weekend so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just be warned you will come across this section that i snot on the race course but is on that detour, its on my training run route and its a pig as BMC would say

https://www.strava.com/segments/9172694

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TSS GFC

The start of the Wall

Throw up the IM route if you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

TSS GFC wrote: »
    The start of the Wall

Throw up the IM route if you can?

Here ya go

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29151255

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭reidman

Took a spin around the route on Friday, it’s a serious bike - for me at any rate, will do it again for sure before the race. Not the kind of race you rock up to, scenery is beautiful. Just a note on that detour - map it out before you go - it’s a maze of tiny backroads with poor surface and lots of hills, next time I’ll just cycle up from eniskerry past pc entrance and on. Looking forward to the race now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just be warned you will come across this section that i snot on the race course but is on that detour, its on my training run route and its a pig as BMC would say

https://www.strava.com/segments/9172694

If you continue straight across that junction and up that road you will come out at the bottom of long hill...
    Great IM training!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 TriNRun

If you continue straight across that junction and up that road you will come out at the bottom of long hill...
    Great IM training!!

what sort gradient are the big hills on this course?

At a guess in places albeit sharp and short id say easily 15% to 20%? (I dont really look at the a computer on spins..)
    Its them all put together is where the damage is done...

Climb out of Enniskerry to Kilmolin...
    Long hill..
    Lugalla to Sally gap..

At a guess in places albeit sharp and short id say easily 15% to 20%? (I dont really look at the a computer on spins..)
    Its them all put together is where the damage is done...

Climb out of Enniskerry to Kilmolin...
    Long hill..
    Lugalla to Sally gap..
    20%? Surely not !

• Advertisement

I'll let one of the experts on gradients tell you but im not far off...
    and it defo feels like it....

looking at the below from the Wicklow 100 the max is 13 % and that's on SLIEVE MAAN, don't think that's on our route!?
    http www wicklow200 ie climbs-on-the-w200-and-w-100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

TriNRun wrote: »
    what sort gradient are the big hills on this course?

As far as I remember max is 12%.

edit_me wrote: »
    As far as I remember max is 12%.

hopefully that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

and it defo feels like it....

I done DL last year I don’t recall any 20% climbs and if any are then it would only be for 100 or 200 meters. The only one I can think is at luggla which is a little steep but short.

Advertisement